Kirk and (spoiler) . . . peas in a pod?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Greg Cox, May 26, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I was chatting about the movie with a friend the other day when it occurred to me that Admiral Marcus seems to have revived Khan for pretty much the same reason that Pike recruited Kirk in the prior movie.

Admiral Marcus seems to think that Starfleet has gotten too soft and civilized to protect the Federation from the Klingons and other threats,while Pike saw in Kirk a certain audacity and devil-may-care spirit that he thought 23rd century Starfleet was sorely lacking.

In retrospect, I kinda wish the movie had done more with the idea that both Khan and Kirk are throwbacks of a sort, and that possibly the oh-so-"utopian" world of the Federation may need a Kirk to shake things up . . . but not a Khan?

So how come Pike made right call, but Marcus went too far?

Discuss.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Kirk is rambunctious and still learning. Khan is evil.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
  3. Greg Cox

Well, there is that . . . .

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Kirk is reckless and a bit of a narcissist, but wiping out humanity isn't on his agenda....

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I was being a bit flip there. :lol:

One was recruited to inject a sense of "passion" that was seemingly lacking in Starfleet. The other was recruited against his will to do the bidding of a Starfleet Admiral hellbent on going to war with an edge.

Intent and common-sense is why one made the right call while the other didn't. Kirk doesn't work out, he gets tossed back to a dive in Iowa. Khan doesn't work out and you end up with a genetically enhanced superman on the loose.

6. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Pike did not keep Kirk's family hostage.

7. Greg Cox

I don't know. Have we seen Sam Kirk recently?

8. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is a very fascinating observation. I wonder, honestly, if it'll have an impact on Star Trek 3. After all, the idea of the Federation being too weak to defend itself against potential enemies isn't a new one, but it seems to be a constant in the post-Nero age Starfleet and the Federation is dealing with.

9. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was in the comics' adaptation of "Operation: Annihilate!".

10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Demolition Man? ;)

(BTW: Complete aside, but I read Seven Deadly Sins recently and really enjoyed what you did with the Pakleds in there. :) )

11. Greg Cox

As an aside, thanks! I admit the prospect of writing 20,000 words about the Pakleds was a bit daunting . . . .

12. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

I can agree with this direction/sentiment... the Federation can't afford to be soft and humane when the Klingons are ready to expand and exert their superiority. I'm still not sure how they became allies of the feds in TNG (oh, right, a tea-sipping contest of honor?) but this isn't the case in TOS. The Feds have to earn the respect of the Klingons and it's not going to happen with a feeble Federation.

On the other hand Marcus was willing to get the big stick ready and strike first before the Klinks decided to. Not sure how well most people justify striking first, even if the Klinks take shooting as the first option for negotiations.

(No don't talk to me about honor, it's not practical and these new Klinks don't seem as honor-obsessed as the space biker samurai of yesteryear).