Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kinda feel like a few Jackson cameos would be essential for a S.H.I.E.L.D. series. They're already going to feature Agent Coulson somehow, and I am sure Joss will use him effectively (perhaps in flashbacks?). But Fury needs to have a presence, even if he is only featured in a tiny role.

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

If How I Met Your Mother was to end, then Maria Hill, could very easily appear in this new series, even in a recurring role, she would be a strong link to the movie franchise, after that a few phone calls between her and Fury (SLJ) is the golden.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Charlie never appeared on Charlie's Angels (though I do think they showed his arms or legs several times) his voice was just heard over the phone. They can use a stand in for parts of his body and Jackson can do his lines over the phone while he's at home in his underwear.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

A bunch of other TV characters have only been heard and never seen, including Rhoda's Carlton the Doorman (who was seen in a cartoon spinoff pilot that aired once), Magnum PI's Robin Masters, Mork and Mindy's Orson, TRON: Uprising's "Voice of the Grid," etc.

The one that gets me is the PA announcer on M*A*S*H, a role played by Todd Susman and sometimes Sal Viscuso. Sometimes we'd hear the announcer's voice over the PA and then cut directly to a scene in the company clerk's office where the PA microphone was, and there'd be nobody there except the regular cast. So where was this voice coming from??? Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!! :wtf:

5. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^Um Chris, that was paying way to much attention.

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I am aware of how Charlies Angels works, I am just not sure S.H.I.E.L.D should work quite that way, Its just going to make viewers want to see Fury all the more, if the show is going to be successful, it needs to stand on the feet of its cast, not on the disembodied voice of Nick Fury.

7. Christopher

^Again, we shouldn't take Jackson's offhand wisecrack about appearing Charlie-style too literally, or expend any energy worrying about it as if it were an actual plan on the producers' part, which it isn't. All Jackson meant is that he's willing to participate in some way, even if it's as minimal as an occasional voiceover. But he hasn't formally talked to the producers about it yet.

8. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

I keep having this notion that Whedon being Whedon, Coulson on this show will be an LMD of the real man who did actually die. But since Coulson proved to be such a good agent, SHIELD uses him as the basis for the first experimental LMD to see if they can work in the field.

Then the twist is, "Coulson" dies again and again, being a disposable roboagent. Then shows up again a few episodes later when they decant a fresh Coulson. Seems like the Joss thing to do - make everyone uncomfortable by treading over the humanity of a beloved character.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^Honestly? I think that that bit would get old fast. Hell, even South Park stopped doing the "Kenny" gag after a while.

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah.

Phil as Marvel's Kenny?

No, thanks.

Stick with the Push Theory.

11. DEWLine

Looking back?

Yeah, this was a Mystery Never Solved. There were moments where it seemed as if Radar was the PA Voice Guy. Other moments, not so much. But someone had to spell him on that duty, given that the 4077th had to be ready for patients 24-7.

12. DEWLine

Yep. We're done, we're ready to roll.

13. Christopher

Sure, someone to spell him, naturally. The problem comes when you hear the voice at a moment when Radar (or later Klinger) is actually in the room where the mike is located.

14. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^It was Captain Tuttle!

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Should I feel bad that I get that?

16. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

You should feel bad if you didn't get that.

17. DEWLine

Not sure if this is revisiting an earlier question yet to be answered...wondering where it'll be set and where it'll be filmed. Speaking as someone who's watched two of his own country's biggest cities standing in for everywhere from Chicago to Metropolis to Caprica City over the decades and rarely shown as themselves, I have to admit to a hope that the scripted backdrop and the soundstages are in the same town.

Unlikely, I know, but even so...

18. Christopher

^Don't forget Detroit. RoboCop: The Series was filmed in Toronto, and after a while they stopped even trying to hide the skyline.

And let's see, The Dead Zone was set in a small town in Maine but was filmed in Vancouver for its first five seasons and Toronto in its sixth.

And of course the Stargate franchise gave us a whole universe that mostly looked like the woods around Vancouver.

Then there are those Canadian-made shows that are filmed and implicitly set in Toronto but try not to admit it so that they're marketable in the US, like Flashpoint and Lost Girl.

Of course, Americans have had to endure decades of Los Angeles and its environs being passed off as New York, San Francisco, South Korea, and just about everywhere else. Leverage passed Portland, Oregon off as Boston for three seasons, but then switched the setting to Portland in the final season.

19. DEWLine

They stopped trying to hide or pretend with Flashpoint after the first year or two. A lot of us viewers up here were far happier with that change of policy.

20. Christopher

^True, but they didn't exactly go out of their way to advertise that they were in Toronto either, beyond showing the skyline. They're sort of borderline about it.