A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I'm up to Feast for Crows so far and I haven't been terribly impressed by this one. There are a few cool little nuggets that are clear set-up plot points for Dance w/ Dragons, but it is nowhere near as good as Storm of Swords, IMHO, which is my favorite at this point.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm reading Dance With Dragons. Poor Theon.

3. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I am still paddling along in book two.

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Almost over for me. Only the Epilogue of ADwD is left.
    It took me about a year to go through all 5 books.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That's the Europa hotel, in the middle of Belfast. The most bombed hotel in all of Europe, apparently.

Why haven't I met any of the GOT cast here yet?!

6. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

7. Captaindemotion

^ I would if I had anything verging on a social life! Unless the actors go to my workplace, my gym or any parties attended by my children, I'm unlikely to encounter them! lol

8. superdeluxe

go to that bar the cast is always being caught hanging out in :)

9. Captaindemotion

^ I may have to. Even though I hate it!

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Apparently HBO and GRRM have confirmed that
    the Red Wedding will be in season 3

Based on the structure of the previous two seasons, I suspect this will be in episode 9, but they may yet surprise us by having the big dramatic climax in the actual finale. Though really I suspect the cliffhanger will be
    "Lady Stoneheart" appearing.

11. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I imagine they'll save that for its original book placement, or later, since Stoneheart really doesn't do anything for a while after that.

12. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Still in book two, but friends have spoiled some things for me but not all.

Questions and I don't mind being spoiled....

1. I assume the feast of slaughter she saw was the Red Wedding?
    2. The birth she sees-is it the birth of Aegon the conqueror or is it Rhaegar and Lyanna? (I still can't decide if Jon is really Ned's or not. My personal jury is still out.) I would assume it is Aegon because they said the dragon has three heads and they are waiting on one more - Aegon + his two sisters.
    3. The undying talk to her as if 3 will become important in her life, like all things will come in waves of 3. Perhaps I misread that bit? Or maybe it means that 3 people will be important?
    4. This whole Rhaegar business had better have some pay off. The story references his death and Lyanna a lot.

13. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ever since they announced they were making two seasons of Storm of Swords, I took it as a given that that event would happen on episode 9. I think the climax-in-the-penultimate episode and then using the last episode to tidy things up, offer denouements and a hook for next season has been a structure that's worked very well for them so far and expect them not to change that.

14. Shakaar

Shakaar Captain Captain

I think the BIG EVENT probably will happen in the last couple of episodes, though personally I would like it to happen sooner. Part of the reason that it hit me so hard in the book was that it was only 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into the book when it happened. I think in the last couple of episodes people will be expecting a huge twist whereas earlier they might not. When I first got to that point in the book, I was totally at a loss as to what might happen next, because there was still a substantial portion of the book left.

As for the second spoiler you mentioned Lonemagpie, that IS possible, but I sincerely hope not. I feel that to have that happen almost immediately after the previous twist would somewhat lessen the impact of the first twist.

I really think some things could really be pushed forward and others held back a little as some of the plotlines don't necessarily intersect yet at this point in the tale. Just my two cents.

15. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I bet Stoneheart will be a middle-of-the-fourth-season moment, just as people think they're getting used to the situation after the Event.

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The birth she sees is of Rhaegar and his wife's child. "His is the song of ice and fire."

3 is very important to her if their prophecies are to be believed. Prophecies tend not to work out as expected in this world though.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Incidentally, GRRM is writing episode 7 in season 3, and says that in it "it rains a lot."

Which I wonder if that implies that the big event of the season might actually be squeezed into episode 8...

Anyway, they're certainly swapping stuff around from here on in - Theon's hardly in ASOS, but will be in season 3 a fair bit...

18. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say the Purple Wedding is more likely. Viewers need something uplifting after RW. The PW would manage to do that while still being a true cliffhanger due to Tyrion being arrested.

Arya and the Hound crossing the river on the ferry, the thunderstorm at Queens Crown and Robb traveling to the Twins, being delayed by all the rain.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the Purple Wedding will be in the fourth season. The uplifting end for the third season will probably be Dany cutting a slave-freeing swathe across Essos.

20. superdeluxe

Need
    Purple Wedding
    in season three, you can't end the season with the
    Red Wedding, WAY to depressing honestly.