Babylon 5 quotebook is finally here!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OmahaStar, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Mine came in today. I'm crazy sometimes.

I wish someone had edited Samm Barnes introduction a little more thoroughly, there's some unfortunate and obvious errors in there.

2. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

What errors are those, Pilot Ace? I didn't notice anything glaring.

Jan

3. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Quickly skimming through it again; things like on page 14, 4th paragraph, first sentence. "and read,," with the double comma. Page 12, 3rd paragraph, last sentence with the parenthesis, " ( I never...". These aren't Earth-shattering things, but for a relatively short $20 book (largely only compiling quotes with little original material) I expect a little better.

There was similar stuff that I saw earlier but don't leap out as I skim it now (the lateness of the night is likely not helping). Pretty sure there were more instances though.

Spacing throughout the book seems a little off too. Sometimes spaces between periods seem two or three times the length of other instances. Very odd and annoying... But, I admit that may just be me.

And I don't really understand how the organization of the quotes makes sense sometimes (unless it was just compiled hastily), there are instances of a different episode's quote in-between quotes from the same episode: offhand like on pages 38-40 when a quote from "Shadow Dancing" is placed between quotes from "And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place"... Pages 45-46 when the quote comes from "Intersections in Real Time" to "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" back to "Intersections" and then again back to "Deconstruction" all in a row.

I'm starting to feel this particular book is not up to snuff when it comes to the quality and care placed into the others. This is especially disappointing considering the shorter length than the others, but still very similar price. :(

Admittedly though, I only briefly glanced at the Chronologies book and didn't take a good look at it. So, I can't really attest to the quality of that one yet.

4. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Ah, proofreading errors, got it. I'm the sort who doesn't notice those for the most part (though spelling errors bug me).

As for the organization of the quotes, while I wasn't directly involved, I gather that this book was somewhat harder to lay out than the script books or the Chronology book. My understanding was that an effort was made to keep the quotes easy to read on their own while not going to another page to finish the quote whenever possible. There are some occurrances when that couldn't be avoided, but the attempt was made. Since the book wasn't meant to be a definitive "these are all the cool quotes from each episode" book, I think that episode order was less of a consideration to readability.

Remember, if you don't feel that the book is worthwhile to you, there's the 30-day guarantee and I assure you they mean it. Write to help@babylon5scripts.com and they'll take care of it.

Jan

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I can completely vouch for the Babylion 5 Scripts Team in their custimer service. Very pleasant and polite, excellent at updating the customer, quick to respond to questions & concerns. If there's a problem, they'll take care of it.

6. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The chronology book is quite nice. Didn't notice any errors like those you mention and there is a lot of detail in Terry Jones' section. Very nicely laid out. Carlson's section is not too long so I didn't really check it closely.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I can attest to that. When I didn't receive my volume 15 along with the last few volumes of the set, they sent it out with 2-day shipping on their own dime. A class act, all around.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I thought it was interesting the way they compared the two sections as being like Webster's American and Oxford English Dictionaries. Perhaps I'm biased, but if one has the OED, then what the hell would you need Webster's for anyway? Likewise, I have trouble seeing the value of incorporating two sometimes contradictory documents in the same book.

9. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I knew I'd find this quote sooner or later! How would you know how people talk in the 23rd century anyway? jms' take on it (emphasis mine):

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

When you think about it, being on a diplomatic station the inhabitants would almost have to adopt a formal mode in order to minimize the chance of misunderstandings when dealing with aliens who've learned formal English (or Narn or Minbari...) not colloquialisms. Think about it. When you meet someone whose English might be limited, politeness requires that you speak more clearly and grammatically.

Jan

11. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

With all of the tidits of knowledge you bring to us Babyloniacs, Jan, I figure a few people will be inspired to use this gif:

[​IMG]

12. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Why, thanks, poster-formerly-known-as-Neroon! I've never have my own personalized gif before!

Jan

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want the Chronologies Book...maybe the Quote book too...but the Chronology I might ask my friend to get it for me for Christmas.