Marina Sirtis make up on the HD verison.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Garak007, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Garak007

Garak007 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It is utter terrible. It is not just the case of over doing it but you can see when the light is on her face you can see a white band going cross her eyes. :wtf: I never remember that on the original TV releases. A case for HD releases does some harm. Anyone else notice this?

2. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

If you think that's bad, check the big screen lighting of her face in the bluddy stupid "Remember Me" bit in Nemesis! :)

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah there are moments when her makeup looks pretty bad, but I think that mainly just comes down to the garish 80s time period. In the later seasons, when they relax her look a little bit, I'm sure her makeup will look a lot better.

4. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

:lol: I always thought she looked better in the later seasons too.

To be fair though, I've noticed in quite a few shows that now bask in their HD glory (Friends - I'm looking at you), you can see how much they used to smother the make-up on to make people look right for cameras. New technology makes that technique redundant, so it can be distracting to see all the slap actors really had on.

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nothing new here. I noticed it way back in 1987 watching the original episodes via a 22" TV.

6. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This reminds me of that episode ("The big goodbye" I think?) where Beverly is trying to figure out the little make up kits from the 1930's. I think the implication was that in the 24th century, women no longer needed to use make up on their faces, so the idea was confusing her.

And I'm thinking "yeah who are you kidding, I can see the artistry being done by professional make up artists on your face for the show!"

But hey, even the men had to get made up. Didn't they want to put a wig on Patrick Stewart at the beginning of the series?

7. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think it was ever implied that women didn't use makeup during the TNG era. The impression I got was that it was a lot BETTER kind of makeup that didn't require all that touching up and so on that we have to put up with now. Don't even get me started on lipstick...

Anyway, I'm thinking in particular of the episode "The Outcast" - the one with the androgynous species. That includes a brief discussion on cosmetics between Beverly and Soren, and it's clear from the conversation that Beverly takes it as a given that many human females, including herself, do wear makeup.

But as for the bad makeup, they just used waaaaay too much on most/all of the female actors, and it was the really obvious sort of makeup, with enough blusher and bronzer to coat a battleship. (Apparently they had never heard of the natural look? ;) ) I noticed it even at the time of the original broadcasts.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

During the initial broadcasts, I remember a female co-worker in the office - who was at best a casual viewer - commenting about Crusher's way over made-up appearance on last night's episode.

9. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

She has a face? I find it difficult to lift my gaze above her neck. I am such a weak man.

Considering that she’s an empath, it’s a good thing I don’t work with her. Could I be disciplined for creating a hostile work environment just by thinking dirty thoughts that she perceives? Jellico is probably doing the right thing when he tells her to cover up.

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

:lol: I've thought about this too! Frankly, I'd be squirming, I'd be looking at her thinking "damn, you're so hot", knowing full well she'd be zoning in on my desires!!!

11. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I reckon she gets off on sensing those 'desires' in the people around her. Why else would she walk around wearing those leotards all the time? ;)

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder how season fives' big cameltoe scene is going to go over in HD!!

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That depends on how much DNR they put on it. ;)

14. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

I find her make-up to be horrendous in HD. I also think, though that they had to do it up a bit for the ancient lighting to pick it up on camera. But hey, everything looked scary in the 80's and 90's. *lol* At least she had some color. Could you imagine what she would look like if they'd done her up kind of gothic and then restored it in HD? Hilariously laughable, I think.

15. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe there was an episode where she was asked about someone specifically, and she mentioned that she felt just normal feelings, including a normal sexual desire for her, etc etc.

I thought that was a pretty cool scene actually, because every straight male is going to get aroused by seeing a hot female, but the implication is that this is understood to be instinctual (which it is) and it doesn't mean that that particular male actually wants to sleep with the hot female he's looking at.

It was a nice nod that in the 24th century, all this ridiculous sexual harrasment bullshit is going the way of the dodo.

16. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

How about the Sheliak scene in the S3 opener? :alienblush:

17. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    The cameltoe will probably be Photoshopped out.

18. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Hey! That cameltoe is canon! :devil:

Canon-toe?

I hope we get a vam extra dedicated to it :)

19. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been watching the first two seasons in just regular dvd and her makeup is so bad it's distracting. Her face is white and her neck is quite olive toned

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

What ep. was that in?