TOS-Remastered: a waste of time

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

The second they decided to remaster TOS for high def, redoing the visual effects shots was a given. The original effects shots often times don't fully hold up under a standard def tv (which is almost twice the resolution of a high end set back in the 60's), there's no way they can hold up on an HDTV.

The only solution was CGI, both from a time and money perspective, and because of the simple fact that the original effects element shots, i.e., the footage of the models on the effects stage, starfield shots, etc., have almost certainly all been destroyed by now (that being said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if startrekhistory.com comes up with a few feet of footage, but the point remains). And, sorry, but there is no way that they're gonna drag the original model out of the Smithsonian and reshoot all those effects scenes.

2. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Sometime after these had been announced but before they had aired, I attended a Star Trek convention in the Chicago suburbs where the guy in charge (the name escapes me at the moment) spoke to us and some of the first words out of his mouth, and I'm dead serious, were "this is not Greedo shoots first". At that point he had won me over, the rest was just gravy.

Try thinking about it in that perspective, it was never meant to be all flash and no substance, it was merely meant to make the FX work less jarring for modern audiences in syndication.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's hardly true; there's certainly no evidence that Trek fans are smarter or more discerning than people who don't like it.

The need for new effects was driven by the demands of high definiton TV; the original effects were simply inadequate. C'est la guerre.

4. Penhall99

Penhall99 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think the project was handled well, over all. Would you really wanna see George Lucas-style CGI stuff in there?

I think with the early episodes the TOS remastered team worked on stuck too close to the original shots (Balance of Terror is a good example) but after a few episodes they changed things up and did a great job.

It isn't perfect, but I think its cool. And they have BOTH versions on the blu-ray set, so there should be no complaints.

5. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I certainly don't hate them either. And i do feel they did an excellent job on them. I also like that the new effects may help attract newer, younger fans, which is always a good thing. I do enjoy toggling back and forth between original and new. I enjoyed the 'animation' they added to matt shots too. But like you Randy, i think i prefer the originals because it was what i grew up with. I think it's a win/win any way you put it.

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I have a perfectly good 32" CRT Sony Wega and was hesitiating to upgrade to HDTV - always thinking that if I wait a little longer I can get it cheaper still. Specifically because of ST XI, my wife, God bless her, recently bought me a 47" HDTV with instructions from everyone in the family not to go rush out and buy a Blu-ray and/or ST XI (can anyone say Ho, Ho, Ho). I absolutley intend on buying the complete TOS in Blu-ray so I can enjoy it (including the remastered effects) in HD. Besides that, my oldest daughter (almost 30) has already called dibs on the DVD set I already have. I'm happy to give them up so my granddaughter, Lily, can be properly exposed to the old gang. The CRT has been relegated to the basement rec room.

7. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, not anymore.

8. Nerdius Maximus

Also because it will have been long forgotten by the general public.

9. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I agree with Dennis and Penhall99.

I guess it was inevitiable that someone would start a thread of disliking the visual effects of TOS-R.

Some of these same thoughts that are mentioned have already come up in the "remaster TNG? " thread and that hasn't even got a greenlight to happen yet... At least people are discussing all the potential issues before that project even begins. TOS effects were minimal compared to how many were done for TNG...(and would have to be recreated.)

I am still amazed Paramount/CBS was able put out a 6th version of TOS that some fans have already purchased on 3 other formats! (VHS, Laserdisc, DVD) but this will be the definitive version that will last another 100 years not necessarily on that physical BR format but in HD.

10. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

You chose the right username :rolleyes:

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn. :(

12. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

It's a good reason to use only connies though.

The writers probably had a fleet of Starfleet's best in mind, like the E was.
    Just like the destruction of the Yamato on TNG or the Odyssey on DS9 wouldn't have had as much shock factor if it had been some random Excelsiors. Did they comment on which ship was supposed to be the Miranda?

I'm pretty sure a Miranda have looked gorgeous though

13. buckeyenation

buckeyenation Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i think a fine job was done one the remastering, and have very few complaints, although the bonus material on the dvds could have been better

14. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate to break it to ya, but by frequently engaging in these sorts of discussions, guess what?

YOU'RE ONE OF US!! YOU'RE A NERD!! JUST LIKE THE REST OF US GEEKS!! DEAL WITH IT!!

15. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to agree with you on that point. I expected a lot more bonus material.

16. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Your bitterness is so tasty! :lol:

17. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't mind the remastered effects, but I don't think they're great either. Instead of mediocre effects from the '60s (compared with high-budged productions like 2001 etc.) we get mediocre effects from the '00s.

As a historical document of what the production staff of the original show actually created they are worthless of course, which is probably the biggest reason I will watch the original effects. *shrug*

18. Nerdius Maximus

I take it you think the new film is going to create "a whole new generation of fans?" I think not. Star Trek 4 was a bigger blockbuster than the Abrams movie, and most people only have vague recollections of it. "Isn't that the one about the whales?" I liked the movie, but it's not really going to rejuvenate the franchise in the way people think it is. The general public still calls it "Star Trak," and to them it's just another action/fantasy movie like anything else out there. In order to build a strong following, Star Trek will need a new series, something to keep people interested week after week. A movie every couple of years doesn't create fans. It's a momentary diversion before they move on to something else.

19. Nerdius Maximus

Thank you!:techman:

20. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have not met anyone recently that doesn't know that it's "Star Trek."