THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 7, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.5%
  2. A

28.2%
  3. A-

21.8%
  4. B+

20.0%
  5. B

10.9%
  6. B-

8.2%
  7. C+

6.4%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ah!

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But a moment later, we saw that Jane was hidden only about 20 feet away. I would assume that Malekith could sense the Aether but not with complete precision as to location.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, that's true. And, like I said, it was probably the biggest thing I could think of. Whatever plotholes there were, the movie was entertaining enough that I didn't notice them.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I found it harder to believe that they were able to heal Fandral's stab wound in the first Thor film, but couldn't save
    Frigga
    in the second.

During the post-credit scene, a friend of mine asked "Is Odin trapped inside this".

5. Trekker4747

I'd argue spoiler codes for Thor: DW are not needed as the OP and nature of the thread warns of them.

I'd have to see how Fandral was injured and then Frigga to make a decision, but I'd guess that Fandral's was in a less critical space (we'll assume Asgardian anatomy is different than human anatomy.) Also they were able to, fairly, quickly get Fandral to the healing room to mend where as in the aftermath of Frigga's injury they were still dealing with the effects of the attack, it's possible the healing room was damaged when Frigga was injured. Hell, is Fandral even Asgardian? Maybe he's from a different Realm that makes him more resilient to damage beyond him being a (young) man who's often in battle as opposed to an (old) woman who sits on a throne.

Then there's the "it's more dramatic" hand-wave.

Along other lines, I'm sue everyone noted Odin's raven in some of the opening moments of the film, something we also see during the Loki/Thor encounter in Avengers.

6. Alidar Jarok

It's also possible the blade had different properties, since we're dealing with a quasi-fantasy so magic blades are also in vogue.

7. Trekker4747

This is true too.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Perhaps Malekith the Cursed had... a cursed blade! :cool:

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

It was entertaining, though I can't say I liked it as much as the first one. Loki was put to good use with more than one deceptive twist.

Didn't much care for having dark elves in spaceships being shot at by Asgardian ray-guns. I know that it's supposed to be science so advanced that it looks like magic...but it didn't look like magic this time, it looked like Star Wars.

For those expressing confusion, the nine realms are different dimensions, with Midgard being Earth's entire dimension...and Earth conveniently being the focal point of Midgard from the Asgardians' perspective.

The GotG teaser was odd but harmless. Didn't catch that giving the Infinity Gem/whatever to the Collector was Loki's call. Also didn't catch that the Inifinity Gem in question was the Aether, until I read it here.

Also, I missed a few minutes between when Thor and friends were starting to place Selvig's devices in London and the dimension-hopping fight between Thor and Malekith (my bladder not being what it used to be in 1978 when I maintained control through most of Superman). Was there anything noteworthy in there?

10. Alidar Jarok

I don't think we can guarantee that giving it to the Collector was Loki's call. It may have been Thor's call. The Collector certainly isn't one inclined to give up his collection if he doesn't have to. I think they know the risks giving it to him, but they probably think it'll at least be secure.

11. Trekker4747

That's kind of how I thought it but then, well, that's *very* convenient. I mean out of the trillions upon trillions upon trillions of planets in our universe Earth is the focal point? ;) And then there seem to be dimensions that exist but aren't "known" or part of the nine in the Norse Tree, or the nine that align every 5,000 years. (Thor says the Chiltari aren't of any known Realm in "The Avengers.) I've taken the "dimensions" bit more or less as being the case (no idea if that jives with Norse Mythology but there's obviously more than nine habitable worlds in the universe) but then it's just like... "Earth just happens to be the focal of our universe, huh?"

I'm guessing when Thor is "explaining" these things to Jane in the first movie, that the Hubble is seeing these things, that the Hubble is seeing these floating discs/entries into the other Realms that all aligned in this movie.

Sort of how I take it. The Collector is "trusted", eccentric but trusted as he's yet to do anything to lose trust. Besides it was probably also a case of "he can have it, it's not useful for 5,000 more years at which point he'll be dead" as opposed to "keep it, the Infinity Gauntlet and the Tesseract in the same place."

Watch in Thor 3 as we get a flash-back to that time Loki turned himself into a female horse, got pregnant and gave birth to an eight-legged horse which he gave to Odin for his birthday!

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The first film establishes that the known universe is shaped like a tree. The 9 realms are just in different branches. And the convergence is just a shortcut to those places. It's not about different dimensions. The Bifrost is not a dimensional portal either, it's just some FTL transport wormhole stargate thingy.

And Earth is ALWAYS the focal point in stories. That's hardly a flaw to just this film.

13. The Old Mixer

^Think you're taking the tree metaphor too literally.

Other dimensions is what it's about in the comics, and I haven't seen anything in the films to convince me otherwise.

Pretty standard stuff for the comics though...when other dimensions interact with ours, Earth is pretty much always the center of attention.

14. Trekker4747

But why is that "alignment" represented as three floating discs/portals to these other worlds, how do you account for there being "unknown" worlds if there's nine branches to this tree and, oh, the trillions of stars in the universe? The dimension thing makes a bit more sense, to me.

15. Alidar Jarok

While dimensions is the better explanation, it's not a flawless one. The Elves seemed to use conventional space travel to arrive, for example.

16. Trekker4747

*Seemed* to being the operative word there. Who's to say they didn't have a drive-system that could move through dimensions as well as it does space?

17. The Old Mixer

It's definitely not just nine inhabited planets in all of space. That limits the MCU's options a little too much, and I'm sure that GotG will be establishing plenty of worlds that don't fit into the Asgardian scheme in that sense.

EDIT: Here's the Marvel Comics explanation of Asgard. Apparently the other 8 worlds are all considered part of the same dimension as Asgard, and Earth is in a different dimension.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

About Odin. If Loki has used his shapeshifting/illusion powers to take his form and we know he can cast illusions on other people, it'd be totally in-character for him to turn Odin into him and then bury him alive in some grave and say it was Odin honoring Loki's sacrifice.

Odin may be in some Asgardian crypt somewhere, in some magic coma.

19. Alidar Jarok

I'm going to say magic coma. It's certainly less gruesome.

20. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Popping in to ask a dumb question.

When Odin imprisoned Loki, I thought he said he would not kill him because of his mother, but that his mother would never be able to see him.

Was she really visiting Loki when she asked if she was his mother, as in using her abilities, or was it all it in Loki's mind?