Is a Blu-Ray release of SG-1 possible?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not that familiar with the mechanics of how the show was filmed or edited, but (given that SG-A's complete series is or soon will be on Blu-Ray) I wondered if it would be realistic to expect SG-1 to also make it to Blu?

Is there some reason why this would not be possible?

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Mr. Laser Beam

That's not a product that actually exists. Amazon thinks there will be, but just because a placeholder like that shows up, doesn't mean there is or ever will be that product. Amazon just wants you to sign up to be notified if, IF, it ever comes out. It's not a preorder.

As for SG-1, I see it airing on the HD version of the Sci-Fi Channel all the time but not actually IN high definition. I wonder why they do that. :confused:

4. JarodRussell

Yeah but there's no such thing on Amazon for TNG or is there?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

^ They pretty much do it for whatever they feel like, AFAIK.

6. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering they're still yet to release any TNG/DS9/VOY on Bluray, I doubt MGM would justify it for SG-1 at this stage in the current position. I can't think of any other shows in the same position as TNG/SG-1 that have been released on Bluray yet (feel free to prove me wrong, as I find this kind of thing very interesting from a tech standpoint).

Seasons 8/9/10 of SG-1, and the other two Stargate shows should be already in HD to release, but I think it will be a while before we see the rest.

7. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I believe that all of the seasons bar the first three (which were shot on 16mm film) have been broadcast in HD, but I could be wrong there.

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I see no one has mentioned the Children of The Gods - Final Cut DVD/Blu Ray which was remastered in high definition/16:9 and all the good stuff. Personally, I thought it was an improvement (although I would have liked them to keep the sexual organs on the inside gag, simply because its just so ridiculous).

Well anyway, that was released and I'm sure it was meant to be a litmus test for an SG-1 remaster. However, considering how poorly it was marketed, and how every single SG-1 movie release got leaked online weeks before it was out in stores I don't think it did well enough to justify a complete remaster.

10. BlobVanDam

Was COTG actually released in High Def? I know they rescanned a lot of the film, but they also kept a lot of the original effects, which I would have expected would be in a similar situation to TNG.

Mind you, if they can easily release SG-1 in high definition, I'm certainly not complaining. :D

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well I'll be damned. So they didn't release it on blu-ray. Where the hell is the point in that then?! Also that Pyramid shot did look shit, even if some of the other FX were alright.

I have no idea then. If I can get the Blu ray set of SGA cheapish like I did BSG though, I might pick it up.

12. JarodRussell

That was so fucked up. The Pyramid shot was from the movie and looked awesome. And they replaced it with crap.

13. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

And they had better ones from later in the series, if they really wanted to divorce it from the movie. The Pyramid looked fine in "Full Circle," for instance. Good enough for them to have a shot of it blowing up in the credits for the next two years.

14. BlobVanDam

Count me in on this too. It wasn't a terrible CG shot in of itself, but it looked so fake compared to the original movie shot, which looked fantastic and REAL. Maybe there was an issue with licensing the shot again? (I'm making up crap here).

Aside from that, all of the CG replacements were much better that I can recall, but I didn't like some of the edits, such as removing the "private parts" line. They made several references to the line in the series, so it made no sense to remove it. A couple of other edits I wasn't crazy about, like removing the part with Teal'c handing over his staff to Hammond. I think that was a good moment.

I picked it up pretty cheap on DVD, and I mostly got it for the commentary, so I was happy with it. For full price though, it didn't add much, especially since it's still only SD.

15. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

They took out the nude scene, but then stuck in a scene with a naked female Jaffa instead with a strategically placed strap covering the corpse's breasts. Things like that I find annoying, they remove a nude scene that actually worked, and replaced it with one that has nudity conspicuous by it's absence. If they're going to have that strap there, at least stick it on the male too so it isn't so obvious.

16. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I haven't seen the CotG Final Cut, but from what I've heard, they didn't have a HD version of the "traveling through the gate" FX sequence (from seasons 1-8), so they changed it out with the FX sequence they did have in HD: the one from seasons 9-10 and Atlantis.

I guess, in theory, they'd need to go back and recreate the original SG1 gate travel sequence for HD.

17. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I doubt that was the reason. The old gate sequence was a shortened version of the one from the movie I believe.

18. JarodRussell

Which looks magnificent in HD. :)

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As others have pointed out, that effect comes from the movie, so an HD version shouldn't be a problem. But more to the point, if the producers were so worried about finding stuff in HD for their re-edit of the pilot, why wasn't it released in HD? It's only out on DVD as far as I know.

20. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fox (the home video distributor for MGM) or MGM itself probably got cold feet on declining BD/DVD sales (which also killed the made for DVD movies).

What's kinda odd is that the Final Cut has apparently never aired on SkyOne or SyFy. And there are no HD rips of it available from "other sources/the Asgard" or iTunes either.