Enterprise-D Nacelle Dimensions?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by James Wright, Feb 26, 2008.

1. James Wright

James Wright Commodore Commodore

Does anybody know the dimensions of the nacelles of the Enterprise-D?
    It's always puzzled me how wide they are, seeing as they're wider toward the back and narrow toward the front.!

JDW

2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

If memory serves, the ship's overall length is about 642.5 m, and its overall width is about 467 m. If you bring up an orthographic view of the ship, such as from Ex Astris Scientia, then you should be able to come up with reasonable estimates for the dimensions of the nacelles.

3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

4. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Long ago, I sat with a protractor and some pretty good side/top/bottom/fore/aft views of the Nebula-class and the Galaxy-class, and figured the nacelles at 248m long x 55m wide x32m tall. Looking at my old, old (pre-Internet!) notes, though, I notice that I calculated the Nebula at 435m long at that time. The actual Nebula length is generally recognized as 440m, yet the excellent book "Starship Spotter" gives a 465m length. There has been discussion that the SS length may be for the "AWACS" version of the Nebula, which is slightly longer than the conventional triangular sensor pod version.

Hope this helps.

5. CyberGolem

CyberGolem Cadet Newbie

I'm exhuming this thread just in case any new viewers are searching for the same info.

The following measurements were taken from the Enterprise-D blueprints drafted by Rick Sternbach.

Length = 248m (centerline)
    Width = 57m (widest aft section)
    Width = 38m (fwd cross section near the Bussard Collectors)
    Height = 32m (widest section)
    Height = 19m (narrowest cross section near the Bussard Collectors)

I didn't scrutinize my measurements, so you have my apologies if these aren't entirely accurate. Of course, any and all corrections are welcome.