Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Turns out Roger Cross isn't that outrageous of an idea for Bowers, he's been on Andromeda ( Carter in All Too Human), Enterprise (Tret in Extinction) and he was a regular on the sci-fi channel original series First Wave, so he obviously doesn't mind doing Sci-Fi in general and Trek in particular.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Been reading them since they first came out in 1997, and when they did, Bruce was the voice I heard for Calhoun.

Fillion would be good, too, I suspect...

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Funny, I've been going with Cross for Taranatar and his fellow 24 star DB Woodside for Bowers!

4. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ I never thought of Cross for Taran'atar, but that could work. My ideal for Tarannie was always Stargate SG1's Christopher Judge (though it was his first guest appearance on Andromeda that cemented him for the role for me).

And DB Woodside is my preferred casting for Vance Hawkins in Corps of Engineers, FWIW.

5. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

To me, there is no doubt who the best candidate is: Joe Flanagan.

I recently watched Serenity again and after reading this discussion I watched Nathan Fillion more closely. I must admit, he would be a good choice, too.

But definitely not Bruce Boxleitner. I liked him a lot as Sheridan. He is a good actor but he isn`t the right type to play Calhoun as he is described by Peter David.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I must admit, I do like Nathan Fillion as Calhoun alot too. Hmm, I guess it's a tie now between him or Joe Flanagan.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Am I the only person on this board who thinks Flanigan is ill-suited for Calhoun? :(

8. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I've always pictured a younger thinner Alec Baldwin as Calhoun.

9. KRAD

Apparently. :evil:

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, EMH, while I don't think Flanigan is ill-suited for Calhoun, he's not my first choice. He'd be my second.

Goran Visnjic would be my first choice for Calhoun.

11. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having just rewatched "Equinox" on Spike, I would say that Rick Worthy, who played Equinox crewman Noah Lessing (as well as a Klingon, a Xindi, various other aliens and a Cylon and a Jaffa) might make a good Taran'atar. He's tall and can be imposing, and has a nice deep rich voice, and can do intense (as his "f**k you, bitch Janeway" scene indicated). And he can handle the makeup, which is almost as important.

12. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought Phil Morris was already picked up as Taran'atar. I think the pictures on some of the DS9r novels have used his images from the Jem'Hadar he played in DS9.

13. KRAD

Morris is Marco's choice for Taran'atar, but I have yet to be able to hear his voice in any of Taran'atar's appearances. It doesn't quite fit for me. *shrug*

And Morris was only used for Warpath -- different Jem'Hadar were used as the models for Avatar Book 2 and Lesser Evil.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of all the idea's I've heard for Taran'atar my favorite so far has got to be Christopher Judge. He seems absolutely perfect IMO.

15. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

You can't go wrong with Judge. What a voice! He evened played Magneto in the X-Men: Evolution cartoon.
    I wish he'd act more. It seems that he's focusing on writing now.

16. KRAD

^ Huh? He's been in Stargate SG1 every week for ten years now....

17. RookieBatman

Yeah, but I mean, like, see him around places, you know? Maybe even try his hand at movies or something. Once Stargate ends, it's my impression that he's not really gonna try to find work in front of the camera. But then, I haven't read any interviews in a few years.

18. Commander Cavit

Commander Cavit Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you hearing him as Jackie Charles?

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but once you do something like SG-1, you probably don't really need to anything else, at least not for a while.

20. RookieBatman

Well, not for yourself. But try to think of all the people that like to watch you perform!

Getting back to the topic at hand, while tying it to current events: I'm reading Final Frontier right now, and it makes me wonder what it'd be like if Captain April were in the upcoming Trek movie. I have Robert Shaw firmly cast as April, but he couldn't play the part in real life. So, how about some speculation as to a contemporary actor that would be a good fit for Captain April, as portrayed in Final Frontier and his other Trek lit appearances?