Zesty Sauce With My Onion Rings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by sonak, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

It's not that, it's that Onion Rings with Zesty sauce isn't a standard/automatic thing, so that's the unusual part. Feel free to ask for it, don't be shocked if it isn't just offered up.

Like I said, I like my BK fries with sweet and sour sauce, but I know that ketchup is the norm, so i have to ask for it if I want it. If you want something non-standard, and are too shy to ask for it, not sure what to tell you there. If asking for sauce or ketchup packets at BK is too far outside the comfort zone, world must be a scary place indeed...

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Indeed. In my 10 years of restaurant experience, I have learned that most people eat onion rings with ketchup...or nothing.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

huh, ketchup with onion rings just sounds weird. Zesty sauce is so much better. I feel like I should spread the word about Zesty sauce with onion rings. Perhaps Zesty sauce has a Facebook page...

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Well, maybe it sounds weird to you, but people were eating onion rings with ketchup long before Burger King trademarked Zesty sauce. It's impossible for me to guess what it tastes like from its name, but I suspect it has jalapenos in it or something, which I don't like.

Are you sure you don't work for Burger King, the way you keep plugging the stuff?

And apparently there's an online recipe to make your own knockoff of BK's sauce.

ETA: Oh, I see. It's mayo, ketchup, horseradish, mustard, sugar, and lemon juice. So the zest is probably coming from the horseradish.

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    thanks for the tip on the online recipe. I'll look into that, but I might look for a substitute for the mayo, that's what's giving it the calories.(it's like 200 calories per container or something like that)

I'll eat my rings plain before I put ketchup on them, eww.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ketchup smothers all other flavours to death. It is a bad thing.

7. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Puzzling, because... plum sauce. Best way to eat them is with plum sauce.

Unless of course the place serving them doesn't have it.

8. Melakon

Here's the make-your-own recipe I saw for it, looks like it's a little over a cup (I'm no good at math), and serves 6.

http://www.food.com/recipe/burger-king-zesty-dipping-sauce-copycat-411864

9. teacake

I think I will have to go down the street and order some onion rings and photograph them and then eat them and then post them.

I should be embarrassed about my single hipster characteristic of photographing food but I'm shameless. But not McBundy, where is he anyway.

10. Melakon

Or, you could eat them while they're still warm, and then photograph the empty plate with little bits of breading leftovers on it.

11. teacake

No breading, BATTER.

And I have put in an order. Hopefully they will turn up soon.

12. Melakon

Batter, sorry. I haven't had onion rings in so long (I can't even tell you when), I couldn't remember what it was called.

13. teacake

No it's breaded in a lot of fast food places. At least it looks like that.

14. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny, I like McDonald's Sweet and Sour with their fries! It seems to be company policy that if you ask for them when you get your meal, they'll give you two packets with no hassle. If you ask for it when ordering it will show up on your receipt, and they probably won't charge for it, but they are more prone to forget.

If you order nuggets it's pretty rare that they forget your sauce, but they might short change you. Usually asking for a couple of more when you get your order you'll get your extra two. After that they start charging. The charge doesn't particularly bother me, I'll gladly play a few extra dimes so that I have my preferred sauce to food ratio. If I ask while ordering, especially if I'm ordering for multiple people, it can become a real pain to figure out if your sauce is missing, or just got buried under some fries or something.

Anyway... Onion rings. Yes, team battered for sure. I had some decent breaded rings from a local shop. But those can't compare with Phil's BBQ and their Colossal Onion Rings:
    [​IMG]

Used to go plain, never liked ketchup with onion rings, but Phil's serves them with a really tasty ranch dressing.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've never even heard of plum sauce.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

A warrior's sauce!

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgzbKe6_DN4[/yt]

17. Melakon

I wonder if Guinan ever told Worf prune juice would loosen him up.

18. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just now checked in after reading the first few posts a while ago.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't go to BK for my O-rings. Never even heard of this Zesty Sauce. Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I went to a BK. Must have been at least 12-13 years ago.

Not to besmirch the King's other menu items. I used to love the little round breakfast potato things with a sausage Croissanwich, and a Whopper is nothing to sneeze at.

But to me, if a condiment is that important I'll ask for extra. Extra. And if they just offer one extra and I think I'll need more, I'll ask for more.

I don't expect any fast food worker anywhere to anticipate my needs any further than what I have ordered. These are not skilled jobs, and the people in them are generally not there for the career opportunities. Generally speaking, they are there for the paycheck and that's about it. If I want something, I ask for it.

But on the off chance someone goes above and beyond? In that case I think they've earned a tip.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

How the heck is the guy behind the counter supposed to know how much each customer needs, anyway? It's wasteful to throw away unused condiments. Whenever I want more, I ask for more! :shrug:

20. Melakon

If Zesty SauceĀ® is no longer part of a promotional campaign, the order taker shouldn't be expected to ask whether you want it. I never have an order taker at a fast food joint ask if I want ketchup with my fries, I always have to ask for it specifically.

Years ago (like 20 or 30), they would sort of automatically throw a couple of ketchup packets into a fries order, but that started to disappear after they started putting those pump-your-own condiment containers in restaurants.