‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Well played.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

We saw a LEXCorp truck, gas tanker, and construction project in MoS.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Even if he's self-made, he doesn't have to be a perfectly realistic billionaire genius...keep in mind that we're talking about Superman's arch-foe....He should be a wee bit larger than life....

4. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zuckerberg + Bieber = True Evil! :D

Honestly, I think we will get a Michael Rosenbaum type of Luther. He was THE BEST! :) I think Lex will try to befriend Kal and Bruce will be the "enemy" in the beginning but things will switch by the end. We could see Lex wanting the K-tech and Bruce fearing the K-tech and Kal.

5. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I'm looking forward to Eisenberg's Luthor for sure though. I do hope he shaves his head. And Irons as Alfred is just fantastic. :techman:

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I completely missed that Jeremy Irons will be playing Alfred. I think that's a terrific bit of casting. To me it kind of seems like Irons is mostly known by Americans for playing villains, so hopefully this will give people a chance to see him playing a much different sort of character.

7. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved J. Irons reading The Alchemist. :)

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The story that Phoenix was being pursued for the role went round a few weeks ago and was carried on a lot of sites. I saw a lot of enthusiastic responses to it on many of them. It may or may not be a terrible idea but it had its cheerleaders.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's possibly worth noting that, even in the comics, Luthor has been reinvented more than once. I'm old enough to remember when Lex was an evil scientist in a gray prison jumpsuit, before he became a physical threat in green-and-purple battle armor, before he was remade as a ruthless tycoon and future President . . ..

And certainly Hackman, Shea, and Rosenbaum all put their own spin on the character. (Spacey was stuck playing a somewhat more vicious take on Hackman's Luthor.)

The point being that there is NO definitive version of Lex Luthor, so there's always room for a new interpretation. And it seems to me that some of the complaints boil down to "He's not right for my favorite version of Luthor."

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I still say that my favorite big-screen Lex Luthor is Robert Vaughn in Superman III. Okay, he wasn't actually playing a character named Lex Luthor, but his Ross Webster was a far more convincing supervillain than Hackman's Luthor was allowed to be, with a much larger organization, better resources, and more far-reaching and effective schemes. And he was a forerunner of the corporate-magnate Luthor introduced a few years later in the comics. Don't get me wrong, Hackman did a great job with what he had, but the character he was saddled with playing was a feeble excuse for Lex Luthor.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Ross Webster was something of a take on the Roger Moore era James Bond billionaire villains. The idea of Lex Luthor being a corrupt business man was the product of John Byrne's Man Of Steel miniseries. And really Michael Rosenbaum turned out to be IMO the best post-Crisis On Infinite Earths live action Lex Luthors.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I was a bit thrown by the casting at first like everyone else, but Eisenberg was so good playing a cold, calculating guy in Social Network, so I can easily see him bringing that quality to Lex as well.

And I know it's not a shared opinion here, but I thought Snyder and Goyer did a great job reinventing some of the characters, relationships, and origins in the first movie, so I'm glad to see them continuing the trend in the sequel, and not just going for the safe choice with a Mark Strong or Bryan Cranston type.

(Although I do hope they at least make Eisenberg cut down that silly looking hair of his though. It would certainly make it a lot easier to take the character seriously).

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ditto for Bryan Cranston.

The problem with today's spoilerphilic era, where random rumors and speculation are routinely treated as "news," is that fandom convinces itself that Cranston or Phoenix are the only acceptable choices--and then feels cheated when they don't get what the internet "promised" them.

Everybody's a back-seat casting director . . . .

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was never keen on Cranston. It smacked too much of fans wanting more Breaking Bad.

15. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't get the Cranston thing. Just because a guy can act and is willing to shave his head, it does not necessarily follow that he would be a good Lex Luthor.

Cranston might have been good in the role, but it's too soon after Breaking Bad to do another baldie.

If that's the only qualifier, how about Patrick Stewart? ;)

I'm a big fan of the stuff Bat In The Sun does. I hope WB have come up with a suit for Affleck that is close to being this cool.

(click for full size)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  16. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cranston is capable of doing vicious and intelligent very well and that would be perfect for Luthor. He's also the perfect age for the character. Patrick Stewart is too Shakespearean for the part. The problem we have with Eisenberg is that we're afraid he's going to portray a young, hip, cruel, and geeky Lex rather than an older, reserved, and brutal Luthor.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iizKYUNY3I[/yt]

Ask yourself who would be better for a live action version of that scene. Bryan Cranston or Jesse Eisenberg?

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

As an aside, here's a trailer for The LEGO Movie that spoofs the trailer for Man of Steel:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHWTMv6_Aa4&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

18. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the problem with fandom is the constant second-guessing of things going on behind the scenes, and recasting and re-recasting what the insiders are working on and have not yet completed.

It doesn't matter at this point who I think would be better in a role. I don't know what the script is, or even what the director might have in mind. I know what I'd liek to see as far as production and costuming, but after that I'm willing to wait and see.

Add to that the fact that no one else I know is aware of these things either, and I have nothing but a big pile of speculation and fan wank to look at.

I don't think there was ever any chance of casting Brian Cranston as Luthor.

If movies were left to fans to construct, each one would cost billions to produce and would be days or weeks long. And that's just the theatrical ones. A series run by fans would never make air, because it would be over budget in a matter of minutes and each episode would run several hours.

I prefer to leave casting to those who do it for a living, and then voice my approval or disapproval by whether or not I pluck down my hard earned money to see it.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Lex Luthor of the Bruce Timm animated series was a great take on the character, but it's not the only viable way to approach the character.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I doubt many people would have been clamoring for Bryan Cranston if he'd never shaved his head for Breaking Bad.