who the fff... put Troi in that outfit??

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dal Rassak, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

They actually had an episode with a whole colony of liberated Borg. Unity featured the survivors of a destroyed Cube that had their links with the collective severed, adapting to life as individuals again. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) they chose to re-establish their own link and reform themselves as a cooperative, with less nefarious intentions than the Borg themselves.

2. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

It was almost Denise Crosby in some variation of those outfits.

Edit: Trivia side note - Yar wears a skant in the final scene of EOF on the horseshoe behind Picard.

3. TroiFan4ever

TroiFan4ever Commander Red Shirt

Wow. Before I saw that I actually thought Marina Sirtis wore that exact same skant in "All Good Things..." she did for "Encounter at Farpoint".

As far as I'm certain they started putting Troi in a uniform because the viewers like her better in a uniform and since Troi started wearing one since "Chain of Command" Marina Sirtis herself said she preferred being in uniform. I like to place my money that Sirtis spoke up to the producers and said she wanted to start wearing a uniform again...

More episodes of her in this outfit would've been nice however.

4. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And in DS9, Nog got away with wearing the Ferengi headgear in uniform.

5. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

That head gear may have been Starfleet issued. It did match his uniform all the time. Red to match his shoulders in cadet uniform, and gray to match the shoulders in his officer's uniform.

6. tighr

While possible, doubtful. He was the first Ferengi officer. But it is very likely that this uniform addition would have been approved behind the scenes... would have been nice to have had some clarification!

There was an episode of TNG where Picard told Worf to adjust his baldric.

I did always appreciate seeing alternative uniforms, myself. It does get boring seeing every officer wear the same old thing in every episode, when in real-life militaries you spend most of your time in a service uniform, of which there are several types, and have Class A and other dress uniforms for ceremonial functions. I liked seeing the dress uniforms they would wear when meeting dignitaries or when attending a gala. It would have been nice to see a standard active duty uniform, camouflage-like utilities, that the officers would wear when doing their normal jobs, especially since it could get dirty (like scrubbing the EPS conduits or whatever).

7. Sadara

The point is he was allowed to wear it because it was a cultural/religious thing similar to Ro's Bajoran earring that Riker jumped her case for.

8. tighr

Well, to be fair, she was wearing it on the wrong ear in protest. Maybe he'd have been cool with it on the other ear.

9. Sadara

I'm sure protesting would be an issue in uniform. There are many things US soldiers are not allowed to do while in uniform and some things even out of uniform since technically soldiers are on duty 24/7.

10. Pavonis

The difference being that, if Nog's head gear were Starfleet issue, that would make it acceptable by definition. Ro's earring was not Starfleet issue and therefore subject to approval, which Riker decided to revoke, because he didn't like her. He relented later.

11. Sadara

I can see that being an issue. If one culture is allowed to wear cultural items then it should be fair across the board.

12. Pavonis

No, cultural items would have to be decided on a case-by-case basis. What if one culture thinks hauling a large rock on their back continuously is a requirement for the good will of their gods? Should Starfleet allow an officer to constantly haul a boulder around just to be fair? If it interferes with their work, it can't be allowed. Worf's baldric, Ro's earring, and Nog's head dress were all approved, but that doesn't mean that all adornments must be included across the board.

Starfleet doesn't have to be "fair".

13. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think there's anything unfair about allowing the earring and disallowing the boulder. What would be unfair is disallowing the earring because of some bizarre fringe group's tradition with boulders.

14. Sadara

The boulder is a ridiculous comparison. Nog's headgear and Ro's earring are both items that can be worn and don't interfere with their work. Earrings and boulders are apples and oranges.

15. tighr

Now I want to see an episode where a race carries boulders around to appease their gods. It would make great Trek.

16. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Best Troi costume ever:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgH94YqoUow[/yt]

17. tighr

Don't forget that the dress Yar wears in "The Naked Now" was borrowed from Troi, as well.

18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Yes yes. Nipples.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

My favorite part of that episode is when Riker saw the crewman on Troi's bed! :devil::lol:

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I've thought that it would be interesting to have a Human officer wearing a hijab on duty. As long as it did not interfere with the wearers vision, hearing or ability to speak. Depicting a Starfleet that is conscious of cultural diversity.

Riker problem with Ro wasn't (imho) her ear piece, it was Ro herself, Riker didn't want a convict aboard the ship where he was first officer.

In the episode where Riker apparently) lost his memory, there was a female Ferengi coming out of a turbo-lift, who was wearing the the Ferengi headcloth with her uniform.

The impression I received is that Chakotay wasn't required to remove his tattoo during his time in Starfleet, and then had it re-applied.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.