House or Townhouse or Condo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jetfire, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^how so? I've seen car buffs being far more specific in their dream car, down to the texture of the car seats.

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

And I would call that... frighteningly specific, not just oddly. :p

More seriously: I meant no disrespect, I just found it funny that someone would decide beforehand the colour of their own hypothetical house. But I guess it's just a matter of having different interests, so to each their own. Again, no disrespect intended.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

House. I like the peace and quiet. With condos, apartments, and duplexes, you have at least one shared wall and your neighbor's noise to put up with.

We have our own home on a tiny lot, with very little yard to speak of, but unfortunately, our homes are only about 5 or 6 feet from our neighbors. I wish there was a little more space between us.

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like growing a big vegetable garden, and a moderate sized house on a quarter-acre has worked out nicely. Plus we are far enough away from the neighbors that I can plug in the electric guitar once in a while (when no one else is home!). A bigger lot would be more of a waste of space, I think.

--Justin

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

If you're going to make a huge investment like buying a house, I think it only makes sense to get exactly what you want.

6. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

you have to be careful with condo's.
    there are all kinds of fees that can really drive up the price you are paying to the point i wonder if you will ever get your investment back if you sell.

7. Finn

Do you get HGTV or a home living cable network in Italy? On HGTV, I've seen people with far more specific preferences on the shows where people are shopping for a house. Like a master bedroom on the first floor with a view of the lake or worse, a music room on second story.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

House Hunters pisses me off so much. These lazy, wealthy people will say no to a house because a room is painted a weird color...like paint is such a hard thing to change.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I absolutely hate doing yard work, so I'd prefer a townhouse or a condo. But if I'm going to be buying and not renting, I'd pick a townhouse over a condo. If I'm gonna be living in an apartment-sized dwelling, I'd rather just rent.

10. Finn

^^there was the one with a family of 4 with a HUGE HOUSE. at one point, one of them mentioned wanting more room for their dog. Then the camera cut away to the Dad holding a chihuahua.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I really wish they had a version of that show that was more in tune with lower and middle class people. I really hate it when it's a couple of 22-year old newlyweds who are like, "We only have a budget of about $800,000. I really hope we can find something we like." And then they get hung up on the fact that the guest bathroom doesn't have a double sink.

I just want to punch them in the face.

12. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm nowhere near being in any position to own any time soon, but I think I'd probably look for a condo if I was. I enjoy living in urban areas, and houses tend to be absurdly expensive around the downtown core of most cities. Not that I'd be against owning a house or a rowhouse or anything like that, just I think a condo is a lot more feasible for the types of places I like to live.

13. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I think there such programs, but honestly I can't say I ever watched them.

In my city, for $800,000 you'll buy a 1500 sq ft condo with two bedrooms (three if you are lucky) in a semi-central location. Tops. :borg:

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That is disgusting.

In my town, for $800,000, you could buy a mansion.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

In my area For $679,000 you can get 5 bedrooms, 4 1/2 baths and 3,964 square feet...on a nice lot. :shrug:

16. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

"Yardwork" is to be my new word this week. Here i was thinking 'gardening' was a fairly universal term :lol:

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, gardening is a specific part of yard work. But I certainly wouldn't call it gardening when I'm mowing the lawn.

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

yard work, gardening, landscaping...

:shrug:

19. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Yeah, that was a source of confusion when I first moved to Canada because I would describe the kids as playing in the back garden - to reactions of horror from whoever I was talking to :lol:

A garden in the UK is a North American yard and a yard is a concreted area, in North America a garden specifically refers to the flowers and planted area, not the lawn.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Silly language.