Empire Magazine pics!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Mom loves the way it cleans jewelry!
    Dad likes the way it strips paint off that old table in the attic!
    The kids love it as a light snack in the afternoon!

And boy does it catch fish!

2. moogybaby

moogybaby Lieutenant Red Shirt

Why does everyone assume that the viewscreen/window is on the bridge?

Could as easily be the briefing room for all we know.

3. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Because people like to panic over what they don't understand.
    Briefing rooms don't have windows!!!!!!!!:scream:

:lol:

4. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see what looks like bridge station monitors in the reflections.

What is a HUD? I never heard that before.

I like the idea of a window -slash- viewscreen combo. Tech exists today which allows an LCD coated window to be clear when off, go opaque when turned on for privacy.

That this tech could become a fully functional video screen / window in the future is highly probable.

5. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
  6. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Edit: If I'm gonna be scooped, it's only fitting TGT should be the one who does it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  7. kissthestar

kissthestar Captain Captain

It would be unwise to put a window in the Briefing Room, owing to the boredom intrinsic to most meetings.

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, I see. Thank you, both.

I remember hearing they fell out of grace because sunlight would wash them out at certain angles. (lame given aircraft still use them)

I don't think that is what we see in the pic, artifacts in the window in the pic are probably just reflections but, I could be wrong.

9. NCC-1967

NCC-1967 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I believe it's a viewscreen/window combo.
    My guess is that some sort of shield raises (or lowers...) to protect it when the ship engages combat mode.

10. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Unnecessary. Any 23rd century ship-to-ship weapon likely to strike the Enterprise once its shields are down would be likely to vaporize large sections - windows would be irrelevant, other than in the fact that they're terribly prone to letting in EM radiation of all sorts.

11. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I'd say that we really do see a HUD at work, and that may also explain why the starfield seems to be beyond the edge of the window - the screen may be overlaying the starfield, as well; the data panel at the top right of the 'screenport' is clearly on the same surface through which we see the hull outside. The bright lights and streaks, though, appear to be reflections from the lights and consoles of the bridge (something it would be stupid to permit IRL - there are coatings that remove most of the glare and reflections from glass and glass-like surfaces - I used to sell the stuff for picture framing ;)).

All I can say is that huge expanse must've been hell to film, if it's that reflective, and hell to CGI into, as well. And worse if they added those reflections to make it appear to be a big piece of glass! :eek:

12. JuanBolio

The reflections rub me the wrong way. On such an important display, the last thing you'd want is glare.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

anyone remember the line in "First Contact" about how no material could withstand the velocities that the enterprise was traveling at so all "windows" were essentially force fields?

14. JuanBolio

There was no such line. The one window that Picard showed Lily had a forcefield, but it was also covered with a heavy shutter most of the time.

15. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    I thought that was supposed to be a cargo loading dock.

TGT

16. JuanBolio

Maybe... the cargo would have to be pretty small, though. The port wasn't that large and the room behind them didn't look anything like a cargo bay. Also, if I remember correctly, it had a podium-style control panel right in front of it.

17. Samurai8472

ah your right I don't know where I thought of that idea:(

Star Trek 8: First Contact - Part 5-11
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAsALB2rAuk&feature=related

5:25 to 5:45

Lily- There's no glass

Picard touches the forcefield

Picard- Forcefield

seeing "First contact" again makes me want to get the dvd(my vhs version is old and full screen *gasp*)

18. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my favorite lines is in this clip... "It's my first ray gun." Lilly brings a common sense Everyman touch to the movie.

19. Samurai8472

I thought it was a good movie for people that only know the basics of "Trek" and don't know about the specs of the enterprise and the anti mater converters.

Lily was the audience in a sense

Where do you get the money to build this ship?

We don't use money anymore

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

That all sounds very logical and on paper I agree with it ... but evidence from TWOK, SFS, and TFF seem to suggest otherwise. ALL of the torp and phaser hits in those films take place very specifically when the shields are down, and even though you'd figure a torp would leave a big hole where the ship was, they seem instead to only leave cigarette burns on the hull.