Season SEVEN OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

2. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Given the large number of stickies already in place, I'm going to unstick the Season one, two and three threads now."

NooooooooooooOOOOOOooooOOoooooooooOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!

3. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

It's been an eventful run. Having the opportunity to revisit TNG and finally watch the episodes I haven't seen was a treat. Let's see what this set brings to the table.

4. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Waiting impatiently for release date/pre order.

5. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I'm going to miss these threads!

Parallels will be a good one for the remasterers. (Though do you think there was a filmed space battle/bajoran ship created then just cut out for time? It's immensely frustrating that ep to have an entire space battle described to us like it's a radio play :rolleyes: )

The battle at the start of the penultimate episode is going to be amazing too.

And of course All Good things, how good will the three Nacelled D look in HD eh? :)

Star Trek in HD..I don't want it to enddd ;)

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's all come down to this....

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Anyone know if we're going to get an "All Good Things..." standalone release?

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really hope the special features focus on that final weekend prior to the All Good Things... Premiere. With the Viewers choice marathon, Journey's End, and the lead up to the premiere, I remember that weekend like it was yesterday. If they have yet another box set focused on the writing and having guys talking who shouldn't be talking, I will be disappointed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  9. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If they are clever, they won't do that.
    Because then a lot would buy just this episode instead of the whole (not so famous) season 7.
    Plus, they'll lose a great candidate for the TNG movie-set double-dip later on. :devil:
    Apart from BOBW i didn't fall for that, thank god.

So my guess would be "Gambit" for the single release.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like the All Good Things may be getting the standalone release:

trekmovie.com

11. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The episode deserves its release. It's a much better feature than the theatrical films that followed.

12. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"this is going to be a huge project, so we are going to start early on that one so we can get it right."

Widescreen version?
    3D conversion?

;)

13. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I already wonder if we will get a decent Castellano dubbing or the crummy Latin one that was on the European dvds.

14. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm betting we'll also get a Fathom Events theatrical release of All Good Things.

15. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A solo release of AGT makes perfect sense. However in terms of the narrative for the season 7 bonus features, does that mean they're going to save all of the "journey's end" stuff for the solo release only? It will be a bit of a drag if the documentaries focus only on the episodes, and not on the end of the road.

16. MakeshiftPython

I guess we won't know until the details are put out. My guess would be that AGT would only focus on the production of that episode and the season set features would focus on it being the final season and go through the journey's end stuff there.

17. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think that we will. I don't remember the source, but someone interviewed part of the CBS Team (I believe it was Roger Lay, Jr) asking about season 7 and the possibility of future theatrical releases. The response was essentially that they'd love to do it, but they ran into some legal trouble with their previous theater events, due to the original contracts for the show not covering theatrical releases.

Edit: Here's the interview I mentioned: http://www.nerdist.com/2014/06/excl...ration-season-and-deep-space-nine-on-blu-ray/

and the relevant quote:

18. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

If I had to guess, I bet of the two it was primarily the Director's Guild. The Writer's Guild has very little power in Hollywood, but the Director's Guild nearly always gets what they want, just like SAG/AFTRA. Given that director Rob Bowman had the most episodes exhibited (three of the six), I imagine the DGA and his agent were livid when they found out these were being done and he wasn't getting any royalties from the ticket sales (i.e. they weren't getting any money either!).

I suppose CBS could have argued that since these were just low bitrate 1080i satellite broadcasts played off a DVR and shown on an advertising projector it didn't rise to the level of true cinema exhibition, but I can see the DGA not buying that argument, seeing as the tickets were like $15 a pop.

"Cut it out or pay up!" :lol:

19. MakeshiftPython

That makes a lot of sense. The two screenings I went to were packed, so I didn't think they would have done too badly that they couldn't continue the specials. That's too bad.

Lucky my theater used the 4K projector (which now runs both ads and films) instead of the old advertiser they used before converting to digital cinemas. I would have been annoyed watching from a advertiser projector, seeing the scan lines on the screen.

20. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Thing that pleases me:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/08/tng-s7-blu-ray-info-revealed-at-las-vegas-con/#comment-1522022464

Would like to see the Viewer's Choice bumpers as well - they fit quite nicely with the documentary (since they were filmed at the same time with Frakes).