Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Nebraxis

Nebraxis Ensign Red Shirt

Hey all, Nebraxis here. Been a fan of Trek 25+ years in all its mediums, although TOS is my least favourite. I can't put my finger on why, but try as I might I just can't seem to enjoy it as much as others.

Other than that, I'm a general sci-fi and fantasy buff and while I would never claim to be a writer, I have been known to put pen to paper.

See you around!!!

Verteron likes this.
  2. SenatorVreenak1

SenatorVreenak1 Ensign Newbie

Hello everyone. SenatorVreenak1 here. Long time sci fi and Star Trek fan here. My favorite eras of Star Trek are the TOS era, TOS movie era, and the "Berman era." In addition to Star Trek, I love Star Wars, Stargate SG1/Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica (both versions), Buck Rogers (1970s), Planet of the Apes, Terminator, Aliens, Predator, Westworld (original and HBO) and other franchises, that would likely be too numerous to list. I like fantasy and post apocalyptic stuff like Conan, Lord of the Rings, Walking Dead, Mad Max, as well.I also like shows like Breaking Bad, Fargo the series, Homeland, and Stranger Things.

In my personal life I am sort of a secret geek, and I collect all kinds of things, including vintage GI Joe, vintage MOTU, G1 Transformers, and vintage Star Wars...mostly just figures, not play sets or vehicles. Also have an interest in history, museums, and anthropology, and I collect Kachina dolls, rare coins, and a small (under 75) comic book collection.

I hope to converse with like-minded individuals, as I don't really have friends or coworkers into the same type of geeky things I am in to (hence my secret geekiness). :)

3. Torz

Torz Cadet Newbie

Hi all, I'm Tory. Interestingly enough it was the JJ-verse films that got me first interested in Star Trek. I made the decision to watch the whole series in chronological (from release) order. So far I've made it through TOS, the first six movies, TAS and I'm currently in season 5 of TNG - which I'm really enjoying, despite it's bumpy start. I've heard good things about DS9, so I'm looking forward to getting into that once I've finished TNG and it's movies.

4. GreenDragonKnight

GreenDragonKnight Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You have...? :censored:

5. Torz

Torz Cadet Newbie

Haha. Well, I've also heard it's one of the more divisive of the series. Clearly you sit on the other side of the fence. :lol:

6. GreenDragonKnight

GreenDragonKnight Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well hey, you know, if you want to watch DS9 that's perfectly fine, of course; just bear in mind that it's not really Star Trek. It's really the Days of Our Lives that We Spent at the General Hospital Back When We Were Young and Restless disguised as Star Trek. :whistle:

7. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

Hello friends,

I'm hardly a newbie (just passed my fifteenth anniversary on this forum, omg!) but I haven't posted here since 2010. I fell away from all of my online communities due to some rough personal stuff that year, but Discovery has me back into Star Trek in a big bad way, and I've missed the discussions I used to have here when I was watching Enterprise as a teenager.

I wonder if anyone here would even recognize me these days. :P

8. jamestkirk1864

jamestkirk1864 Ensign Red Shirt

Hello
    I am a Crazy about Star Trek.
    I have been watching Star Trek since I was about 9 years old.
    Ever since I seen it for the first time I couldn’t get enough.
    One of my wishes in this life is to get RICH and build my own set.
    It was a dream come true when I walked thru the sets for the first time.

9. Captain alex

Captain alex Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm new YAY :biggrin:

I'm star trek's No. 1 fan so it's amazing I wasn't here sooner!!!!! Now none of you need to fear, the no.1 fan is here. Star Trek forums is now complete.

10. Riker'sMailbox

Riker'sMailbox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello.

I remember my mother watching TNG and I would sometimes watch it with her. It didn't make much of an impression on me. I was not aware that there were series made after TNG until Netflix came around.It was not until years later when I was pregnant and on maternity leave that I watched TNG. Loved it. Just finished DS9 and found it more compelling than TNG, though I still dearly love TNG. Started Voyager this week. 5 episodes in, already annoyed.

I was a wild teenager that morphed into a pretty calm mother of two. Married to a teacher, live in a suburb of NYC. Love craft beer, Phish, working out, hiking, and goofing around with my two little kids.

11. Riker'sMailbox

Riker'sMailbox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just finished it last week and loved it! Definitely different and it seems like people have pretty strong feelings around here one way or the other.

Kilana2 likes this.
  12. miccaferoc

miccaferoc Ensign Newbie

Hello all, Mike here! My favourite shows are TNG and VOY but have loved the new JJ Abrams films too.

13. tomalok

tomalok Cadet Newbie

Long time lurker here and now I've subscribed. Just wanted to say hi

Cheers

14. PureCrimson

PureCrimson Commander Red Shirt

Hi everyone!

I realized I wanted to meet people online that would be in my age group that I could get along with, and really, the only thing (apart from Redlettermedia) was Star Trek.

I'm not obsessed with Trek, but I like everything it represents and what it's always been more than ever. I grew up with the original cast films and only recently as an adult did I come to realize how amazing the lore and what it entails actually is.

TL;DR: I wanted to meet fellow smart nerds my age, and you don't get much better than that by picking Star Trek.

15. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hello All. I'm a Trekkie since early 2000s. Haven't really got into GTD before. Not even for lurking. But have frequented the Literature, Misc and TNZ forums. I'm an Indian living in India, so that probably makes me rare breed around here. I enjoy Trek in all its forms, usually don't analyze fiction too much. Just a light review or comment now and then.

16. DocCrusher

DocCrusher Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

Hi.. Just wanted to introduce myself.. I used to be a big TNG fan, then voyager, and I always thought DS9 was boring but more recently I'm into it. I'm not sure about discovery yet

17. iliescu

iliescu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Glad to have chosen to join, much respect to now for the Star Trek franchise...always thought it is fair and cool no clue how. Cycling is a favorite among activities am enjoying. Music is fine kind of Video is good too and the rest not really giving thought to.

18. Haido

Haido Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Howdy. I don’t know much about Star Trek but I joined because a co-worker wanders this place. Maybe I could actually find a hobby in here somewhere, maybe read some fan fic, develop some sense of community. No idea. We shall see. Nice to meet everyone too.

19. Patrick S

Patrick S Ensign Newbie

I'm new. 48 years old. Married. Two boys nine and thirteen. The older one is into Trek. The younger one not so much. Yet.

Grew up with TOS in syndication, animated series. My brother (five years younger) jumped on TNG out of the chute but it took me until season three get fully on board. Now I don't think I could choose between the two.

Have been a big Trek fan throughout my life, even though its caused me some ribbing since I've always been the only guy in my various circles of friends over the years to be into it. I've played baseball and competed in Olympic style weightlifting throughout my adult life. Seems like I've been continually surrounded by Adam Sandler fans and the occasional Star Wars fan...and I'm not a fan of either.

My favorite TOS episode is "Balance of Terror". Favorite TNG is (a tie) "Inner Light" and "Yesterday's Enterprise". Favorite OC movie is "Wrath of Khan", which is my favorite move period along with "The Natural". My favorite TNG movie is "Insurrection". I liked the first Abrams movie. Hated the second. Liked the third. Can't get into DS9, although I'm giving it another shot. Voyager is just okay for me. I liked Enterprise. I hate - and I cannot stress this enough - I HATE Discovery. I gave it four episodes and bailed. For me, it's not Trek. I was excited going in because I'm a fan I'll watch anything with Klingons. Well. Not anymore because those things in Discovery aren't Klingons, IMO. So, I'm reading Keith DeCandido's books to help deal with my disappointment.

So. I'm new here. Take it easy on me.

Lord Garth, Phaser Two and Kilana2 like this.
  20. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Keith DeCandido's novels are great. He has a knack for Klingons. Haven't seen Discovery yet. But I don't like Enterprise. I gave it a try, several times. No chance. Yet. That may change, though. I have read a few ENT short stories and they were good. A good writer can turn a show you are not fond of yet into something good. That's how I was able to get into DS9 - by reading the novels.