Robin in a Batman movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Does the general public know about the identities other than Robin?

These movies, while sticking pretty well to the source material, are seemingly geared towards a non-comic-reading audience.

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I guess we all have our own tastes don't we? I liked his portrayal of Robin in the movie. We don't have a lot of live action versions of Robin to choose from.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Same here, and I was a big TV Robin fan, too.

[​IMG]
    Me as Robin by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I would have loved to have seen Robin in a Nolan movie, and I don't think he would have needed much, if any tweaks either. The rogues gallery characters and Batman himself were hardly altered and they worked. Bring in a young Dick Grayson as Robin, costume and all.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really. Before I started reading comics in just the last 5 years or so, I didn't even know there had been more than one Robin.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

And as a comic reader up till the mid-90's, I'm aware of Nightwing, but that's about it.

The more time goes on, the more they come up with. Look at all the Hulks.

7. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The problem was more Schumacher's cartoonish style and the over the top villains. The Robin dynamic worked for the most part. If they would have stuck with the Tim Burton styling, it actually might have worked.

That being, I said, it would be very difficult to work Robin into a Nolan type Batman

8. Agent Richard07

We already got a man who fights crime dressed up as a bat, an immortal who wants to cook Gotham's water with a microwave device, a mischievous clown, and a guy who runs around town with half his face burnt off. I think a young wannabe sidekick can work.

9. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I think Dick Grayson is the only Robin that actually works in a Nolanesque semi-realistic Batworld.

I can suspend my disbelief and suppose that Bruce Wayne spent a few years in a ninja camp and can now beat up anyone. I can't suspend my disbelief and suppose that a teenager could have anywhere near enough ability and training to achieve survivability.

UNLESS that teen had been trained as circus performer since infancy. Now we are talking about someone who at the age of 16 has abilities that the average person isn't equipped to deal with. That doesn't make him the world's greatest fighter, but it makes him unique enough to have an actual skillset that has a purpose.

In terms of plot, don't use the name Robin and don't use a costume. Have Grayson and Batman working in parallel looking into the same matter (obviously something about who ever decided to commit mass murder at the circus..) Bring them together for the final act. Make the story play out so that Grayson is going to be "Robin" with or without Batman, which removes the ethical question. I also don't see anything wrong with 16-18 as an age range, Bruce is at least pushing 30 by this point.

10. Agent Richard07

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who is that as Robin? I like that costume design, it is recognizably Robin, but very much fits the Nolanverse style.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"Robin" looks like the kid in school who would always dump your books with the emo hairstyle. I want to punch him in the face more than I want to root for him as a hero.

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It reminds you of that and not Jarvis in Iron Man? Because that's what it's going to remind every other person who sees the movie of.

14. Agent Richard07

I don't know. I just found the pic somewhere and thought it was pretty good.

15. The entire concept of Batman taking on a child (!) protege is flawed, to say nothing of the identity/costume of "Robin".

Various media have tried to legitimize the concept. Some comic writers have done a passable job (Loeb/Sale for instance, among others), artists and video games have made his costume seem less ridiculous (Arkham City for example), but none of them have transcended what's a flawed overall concept.

I'm sure someone will attempt it with the next reboot, but I'd rather they just let the character disappear into oblivion.

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, to be honest, Jarvis didn't even come to mind.

17. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any kid standing next to Batman is going to look like a useless douche by comparison. He especially would not have worked in a Nolan movie. The idea that a kid with no powers could be of any use to a nutter in a bulletproof suit, is even more absurd than the concept of Batman itself.

18. Gojira

Great picture!! I thinks this shows that Robin could really work in the Nolan universe. Too bad we won't be seeing this.

I just hope when they reboot Batman they include Robin at some point.

What I would like to see is a Batman movie set in the 1930s or 1940s maybe that would make Robin more plausible for those that don't think he should be included.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't think a Batman set in the 30s or 40s would work for me (it'd make the Bat-technology a bit less plausible and more out of reach.) But I'd like to see it in the present with Gotham having a stylized look of a gothic 1930s/1940s. Just like I'd like to see a Superman movie set in the present but also with style inspiration of mid-century Americana.

20. Gojira

I would agree to that too. :bolian: