Stand-out Eps

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Revanche, Jan 15, 2014.

1. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

I think I, Mudd is a good choice, since it's goofy fun and we're talking about episodes to get kids into Trek.

2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Long time lurker--first time poster and the first sentence in a brand new thread is a shot at JJ Trek?

My mind boggles.

Yes and I love the totally out of left field statement that I was claiming that JJTrek was exempt for criticism.

Obviously the point is---- why start a thread about TOS that way?

Is it just a superficial way of stating 'what team you're on' or a heads up to other posters to say "I'm with you"---?

Arguing the merits of any Trek vs any other Trek is fine but a pointless shot to achieve what? Alienate some people who might otherwise be interested in the topic? Mission accomplished.

3. SpHeRe31459

Actually you're being far too sensitive.

All the OP did was give us a little context to why he's revisiting TOS.
    He said he was off all of Trek for a while because JJ-Trek wasn't his cup of tea, and now he's re-exploring his relationship to Trek. That's all he said. We should instead certainly be welcoming him back into the Trekker fold and helping to nurture his love of Trek again.
    Who knows you might have even found a way to link some TOS episode recommendations, etc. as a way to get him to rethink his position on the new movies.

Instead you've become defensive at the mere mention that someone didn't care for the JJ movies. He didn't crap all over them, he made an offhand remark about them.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And if he had said he had been excited by the JJ films then no one would have said a word. So it isn't that he made a reference to JJtrek it's that he expressed a negative or dissenting opinion.

Like I said, ridiculous.

5. Grant

And if someone dogged TOS in a thread that extolled JJTrek I would say the exact same thing---pointless and sad.

You can have your opinion and I will keep mine.

But I won't be mistaking someone whose every post declares Trek died in 1991 as an unbiased observer---you defend him because you agree with him---I criticize him on principle not because I love or hate any version of Trek.

Any thoughts on the actual point of this thread?

Oh wait your first post in this thread was to defend his shot at JJTrek.

6. SpHeRe31459

I must say I'm really surprised at this behavior here, TrekBBS has always been much more civilized and tolerant than other places.

The response here is much more like what you'd get if you posted anything the least bit negative about JJ Trek over at Trekmovie.com. Over there you are immediately swarmed by a group of people who just can not let any opinions other than "it's great" be allowed to continue.

And once again I'll point out that this is the TOS subforum, not the JJ-verse one. So stop harassing the OP about it.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've seen plenty of posts postive on JJtrek in the TOS forum and not made comment. As has been said upthread the OP made an offhand remark that was pretty innocuous and then got on to the point of his thread.

Do I agree with him? Yes, but I didn't take his remark as an opening to rant further about the films. I just focused on the point he wanted to talk about. I didn't say anything until some in here started getting on his case for a harmless offhand remark.

8. Revanche

Revanche Ensign Red Shirt

I kinda blanched at this suggestion, at first thought, because my recollection was that he was an unlikeable (note: to me) character. But when that shrill "Harcourt Fenton Mudd..." started spooling up in my head, I recalled the glee I always felt when he finally got his comeuppance.

I could see my son liking the Mudd character.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In "Mudd's Women" Harry Mudd has an edge to him. That edge was totally erased when we see him again in "I, Mudd" and TAS' "Mudd's Passion." After his introductory story Harry becomes simply a buffoon. But then Harry's metamorphosis was also a reflection on how the show itself had changed. With TOS' third season trying to get back to the sensibility of the first season it makes me wonder how they would have dealt with Mudd if he had shown up in the final season.

10. Grant

Mudd's Women--hated when I was 10 and have always hated it.

Top 3 worst episodes of season 1 IMO

When I was little I liked the 'action' episodes and as I got older I liked the episodes with a subtle message more and more and of course appreciated the dramatic episodes more as well.

Then to add insult the ONLY non Starfleet character to ever get a reprise in TOS was Mudd.

I wonder if the fact that modern TV and movies do action so much bigger (if not better) would dilute a young persons opinion of TOS action episodes? My kids, now grown, range from 'tolerate to like' TOS but they like the newer series and movies much more. Kind of sad to me who has been a fan for 43 years.

11. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I'd have to agree with you, the Mudd episodes don't have much going for them, and I generally skip both of them when watching with the kids (aged 6, 2 and 10 days old).

I thought my six year old would struggle with TNG, which he only started watching in the past few months as the BluRays have trickled out. I thought he'd find TNG slow compared to the much more dynamic and colourful TOS that he'd been watching for years, but he loves TNG, particularly Wes and Data.

Bringing JJ Trek into this discussion, one thing his films and the Coon-produced TOS have in common is that the fun is back. We can explore the final frontier again without it being deathly serious all the time. I know the Coon approach isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if my Twitter feed is anything to go by, it seems to be working beautifully in bringing 'kids' say 15-21 into Star Trek, and more power to him for doing that. The summer movie crowd will attend, have a drool over Pine, Cumberbatch or Saldana and then move on, bit some will watch TOS for the first time, fall in love with it like us, and end up posting in places like this, and I think that's great.

12. Grant

^That reminded me--when my oldest girl was 8 or 9 she liked Data a lot and was probably one of the main reasons she got into TNG at that age.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Balance of Terror, Ultimate Computer, Doomsday Machine. Good intro eps for a young kid these days.

My stepdaughter's bf was introduced to ST09 and STID first, and loves that, the only series he hasn't been watching on Netflix is TOS...I'd start him off with those three if i can get around to getting him to watch it.

RAMA

14. Revanche

Revanche Ensign Red Shirt

Thanks, all for who posted their on-topic comments. It's been extremely helpful. These are the ten First Season TOS eps I chose (in the chronological order I've decided to show them):

Balance of Terror
    Menagerie
    Shore Leave
    Squire of Gothos
    Arena
    Tomorrow Is Yesterday
    Space Seed
    Devil In the Dark
    Errand of Mercy
    City On the Edge of Forever

This way, if TOS does appeal to him he has plenty to go back and discover on his own (I definitely didn't leave only stinkers), but if it doesn't, at least he's set up for the TOS movies and on. Again, thanks for the helpful opinions.

15. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Amok time great stand out episode !!!