Taxi - back or front seat?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Sep 17, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some people in Aus consider it snobby to sit in the back if you are one person.. as in, a class thing. There is a cultural pride in everyone at least having the appearance of equality.

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Yes, I agree with that. I would be worried about offending a driver if I was alone and got in the back and I guess for a male passenger that belief would be even stronger.

The only time I can remember getting in the back seat when I was not accompanied by another human passenger is when I had a cat in a cat carrier.

3. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I only ever sat in the back, but I've only really used taxis when in the US. Around here they're quite expensive, but in the us they're comparative cheap, and most US cabs have HUGE legroom in the back. Something that's a big factor for me at 6'3".

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

front seat. It's easier to talk with the driver, I can easily keep an eye on the meter and sitting next to him or her means neither of us needs to perform painful contortions when I pay my fare.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I sit in the front unless it's a black cab and doesn't have a passenger seat in the front :p

6. jaz'a

jaz'a Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I've never sat in the back seat when I'm by myself and would definitely consider doing so without obvious reason to be rather snobby.

Even in a group, I would expect someone to sit in the front seat.

7. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

mostly back seat. sometimes drivers have their stuff in the front seat.
    but sometimes I have to sit up front if it is a suv cab and the back seat is a half seat. I have trouble getting in the cab then

8. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Back. And don't talk to me.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That must make determing where you want to go and charging you tricky...

10. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

^Vulcan mind meld :D (though that one's a bit tricky from the backseat, too, unless you have extremely flexible wrists)

11. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can talk to them, I can also read the meter. :p

I don't mean it literally anyway, I just hate those forced discussions that neither of you really care about, but both feel obliged to engage in. I just want to look out of the window and have my thoughts.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I know what you mean. It's a bit like being at the barbers in that respect.

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As with the other Australians I sit in the front. I don't like the back seat in any vehicle and always prefer to be in the front passengers. The last time I was overseas and caught a cab I asked the driver whether to sit in the back or front.

Recently the news here has been around the idea of "pink taxis" specifically to transport women late at night due to a number of assaults on women (I think mostly intoxicated women) by cab drivers in the last few years. By recently, I mean a recent push, I'm sure I remember this issue coming up a year or two ago as well.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I prefer to assume that sitting in the front implies a certain familiarity with the driver. If I sit up front in a strange taxi next to a strange driver, I'm imposing familiarity on him, that I have no right to do. Sitting in the back is where I consider it normal for a customer to sit, because I don't know the driver.

16. mari

mari Captain Captain

I've taken cabs in NYC, New Haven, Providence, Boston and Dallas. Only once, when I was with my entire family (5 of us), do I recall my father having to sit up front while us girls crammed into the back. As I generally was alone, and am a woman, and the cabbies I've dealt with can't drive for beans, I felt much safer behind the glass in the back seat. That said, I prefer subways, trains, light rail, buses and trollies when possible.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The cabbies you've dealt with can't drive for beans? Well I hope not. They should be driving for passengers. :guffaw: ;)

18. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Back sit is the norm here in Italy.

It seems so.

19. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Heh. Take a cab in Cairo. Or Mumbai. They make NYC cabbies appear downright cautious! :p

20. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Where do you think those NYC cabbies come from? :)