Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 6 2014, 08:41 PM   #91
Makarov
Captain

Re: TNG Rewatch: 5x05 - "Disaster"

I don't think there were any zero-g sequences on TNG were there? Not counting First Contact. I don't remember them ever floating around the ship.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2014, 05:45 PM   #92
Mojochi
Commodore

Makarov wrote: View Post
I don't think there were any zero-g sequences on TNG were there? Not counting First Contact. I don't remember them ever floating around the ship.
The only instance I can recall, on TNG, of a person floating in zero-G, is when Geordi shoulder checks a phased Romulan through the bulkhead in The Next Phase
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2014, 09:18 AM   #93
Timo
Admiral

That's pretty much it, unless one counts dream sequences - Deanna Troi flying in "Night Terrors" or Data in crow form flying in "Birthright". And those weren't zero gee floating as much as they were aerodynamic flying in a fantasy realm.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2014, 02:56 PM   #94
Marsden
Fleet Captain

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
I am still trying to figure out why they have gravity in the turbolift shaft.

Because the writers have no knowlege of physics, and artificial gravity is just as magical as transporters. I'd believe in warp engines before the kind of "artifical gravity" they have.

I even wanted to start a whole thread in the general section because it's so poorly handled.

The implication that someone can fall to their death in artificial gravity is so assinine, but that's exactly what they did in 2 movies in a row.
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 12:58 AM   #95
Mojochi
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
That's pretty much it, unless one counts dream sequences - Deanna Troi flying in "Night Terrors" or Data in crow form flying in "Birthright". And those weren't zero gee floating as much as they were aerodynamic flying in a fantasy realm.

Timo Saloniemi
Yeah, I thought about those, & also Q floating in Deja Q, but that's probably the continuum doing that, or Riker in Schisms, which was also probably alien controlled, like a tractor beam or something

Marsden wrote: View Post
I'd believe in warp engines before the kind of "artifical gravity" they have.
Yeah, in fact, in the episode I mentioned above, The Next Phase, it almost ruined watching the episode. If somehow you can accept that the artificial gravity works on phased people, then how does it stop them from passing through floors like they do walls? Frankly, if you were phased in such a way, I'd expect that as soon as the ship moved, it would deposit your ass into space, or that you'd suffocate because you couldn't breath the oxygen there

Last edited by Mojochi; September 10 2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: 2nd quote comment
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2014, 10:13 PM   #96
Timo
Admiral

Seems consistent to me. We know gravity aboard starships is very localized: it pulls people on Deck 3 towards the floor of Deck 3, but doesn't pull people on Deck 4 up towards the floor of Deck 3, say. And it can be turned off here when it remains active two meters to the left. So it's clearly not a 1/rr affair at all, but more like 1/rrrrr or something.

So while the floor of Deck 3 pulls down till a certain point, it will actually stop pulling eventually, and will even start pushing so that the effects on various decks properly cancel out. And thus LaForge and Ro sink to the floor an unnoticeable two centimeters, hit the reversion point in the gravity field, and bob back up, as they are not invisible to gravity (for whatever reason). Walls have no artificial gravity fields and thus no field gradients, and thus do not present an obstacle to our heroes or the one villain, who are transparent to electromagnetism (for whatever reason) which is the only appreciable force preventing us from walking through walls.

The inertia control system of the ship apparently also works on gravity manipulation principles, so it nicely grabs and holds phased people just like it does non-phased ones (again because phasing doesn't make you invisible to gravity, for whatever reason).

The breathing air issue is the one that poses the bigger problem. But in "Time's Arrow" we get a description of what this "phasing" might be: existence a few fractions of a second "ahead of" or "behind" the surroundings. If we accept this gobbledigook as Star Trek fact, it's rather easy going, actually. Our "lagging behind" heroes might well breathe air that was there a few moments ago, and see light that used to be there - but the others, "walking ahead", would always have left the scene when light from our duo arrived; the light from Ro's headband would always fall a fraction of a second short of hitting Riker's eye.

As for the vertical turboshafts, they might well have a bit of "leakage" from the decks that truncate in the shafts - enough to create the sensation of down, but not enough to make an old man and a bunch of young kids fall off the endlessly long ladder, as would otherwise surely happen sooner rather than later.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote