Starlog Magazine

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by jimcat, Jun 13, 2013.

1. jimcat

jimcat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Dear all,
    Once again, I'm stumped as to which forum to post this in. No-one seems to have posted the link before, even if I'm the last to find it, so:

http://archive.org/details/starlogmagazine

is a link to the Internet Archive's scans of the first 224 issues of "Starlog" magazine. I've only had time for a quick look so far, but the general quality of the scans seems fairly good, it seems to be legal, and it's free!
    This is my big chance to track down all those issues I regret throwing out years ago, and finding that they weren't that great anyway...

Best wishes

Timon

2. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

I wish I could find the Starlog magazine special they made for Star Trek II.

3. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its available on eBay (and probably many other places as well).

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

A great archived and downloadable find. Thanks.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've got a lot of the Tom Corbett books. Daymn.

6. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Suu-weeeeet!

I acquired the first issue when my childhood buddy Kyle gave me his copy. (He partially colored the Filmation face drawings in the glossy paper center section.) I started to collect the mag with issue 6 and later I back ordered the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th issues to complete my collection. When my local newstand failed to supply the occasional issue, I opted for the mail delivered subscription. I faithfully purchased copies until the mid hundreds. Long before that point the magazine had become little more than a promotional vehicle for upcoming productions whereas I preferred "after the fact" in depth retrospectives. (Cinefantastique was more my angle, but prohibitively expensive.)

Thanks for the link!

Sincerely,

Bill

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I just discovered this archive yesterday (the Starlog collection, not archive.org). It's great!

9. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also a bunch of the radio shows, brought to you by Kellogg's Pep, the spaceman's breakfast cereal!

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I still have a bunch of old issues from the 80's put away.

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The memories! I have much of the early years up to 1986 in storage, so it has been a long tome since browsing the magazine, and its style. If you look at issues 1 - 15, you really get a sense of how different filmed sci-fi was back in the day.

Thanks for the link, jimcat!

12. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Well said. As a boy, I first began subscribing to Starlog back in '78 after seeing the Robby the Robot television commercial. I began my subscription with issue#13 and purchased the first twelve back issues with my paper route money. Great memories and a great magazine that I still have stored in a box too. I also subscribed into the '80s.;)

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Discovered this a few months ago. I have been downloading all issues covering the premiere of Deep Space Nine, but didn't find time yet to actually read them.

It's funny how many times they chose to heavily and enthusiasticly feature a show, only to stop when said show was cancelled. Happened with Time Trax, which got covered for three or four months with interviews, specials etc., but then it got cancelled. Same with Space Rangers, Earth 2 and Space Police. In insight, it's funny to see how often they were "wrong" about a show being the next hit. But then again, what is a magazine going to do?

14. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the link.

15. BorgusFrat

BorgusFrat Lieutenant Red Shirt

Awesome mag, for it's time! I got my first ever fan-made blueprints through them, which led me to discover Star Station Aurora. I'll never forget getting the Excelsior blueprints in the mail- - totally professional! They could of been on store shelves right next to the "official" sets,and they looked awesome on my bookshelf sitting next to the TMP ones.

I can even see the old ad listings in the "Trading Post" with these downloads! Isn't free stuff from the internet GREAT!!!! :techman:

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The Internet Archive is right near me. It's an amazing place and they're working hard to preserve everything they can, from web pages to blogs to old books and films.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  17. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

That's great! Where would I be without Starlog? It frightens me to think about it. I still have almost 10 years of Starlog stacked in a closet. My first introduction to Macross and The Prisoner came from Starlog. Thanks for the link!

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I miss those days. I got fooled by Starship Design. I thought it would be a monthly (fictional) publication--when it was even more than that--a fictional monthly publication--not like the Starship collection from the UK in that there was only one Starship Design.

Stupid me tried to subscribe to it.

19. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Faithfully bought every issue up until the mid-60-range. It was a connection to the outside world of SF for a kid like me from a small Appalachian town.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Is there a website that has a comprehensive listing of all the issues with Star Trek (particularly, the original series) content?