Here it comes... Wachowskis, Straczynski create Netflix scifi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RAMA, Mar 27, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Yea and it sounds stupid. Doesn't it? What happened to their space opera 'Jupiter ascending or Rising' or whatever it was called? That sounds better than Sense8 soul hunters. Please. More telepathic police. Bab 5 regurgitated.

3. Very interesting combination. I love the Netflix model and I'm glad to see they are diversifying their genres with their original series. They did political drama, comedy, soon horror, now scifi. Nice.

Btw in reference to Xortex's question, Jupiter Ascending is a movie that is still happening.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I see no mention of spaceships. I want a spaceship, dammit!

But seriously, I like that Netflix is venturing into the scifi genre. I am much more likely to dive in a watch this series than "House of Cards."

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Netflix is just in the experimentation phase with this new model of delivering programs. Spaceships are probably too expensive at this point, but give them time.

6. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

They're shooting that one right now & it comes out next year: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1617661/

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

So what happens first, rate increase or limited advertising? Producing programming is not cheap and only gets more expensive not cheaper.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

If it involves Straczynski, my hubby will wet himself over it. So I imagine I will be watching it when it comes out. I hope it's good.

I don't really care where good SciFi comes from, just that it's actually good, so I like that Netflix is getting into the game. We'll have to wait and see about the results.

9. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a fan of JMS and the Wachowski siblings so will be checking this out. Hasn't been a new sci-fi show that's hooked me since Dollhouse ended.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems that right now, Netflix goal is to increase subscribers. If this is the way of the future of "cable" television then there will most likely be similar subscription models in the same way you can buy sports packages. I can imagine HBO offering a direct subscription package in the near future as well if they don't do so in the US already.

11. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it were 1999 I might be a little more excited about Wachowski and Straczynski teaming upski. As it is I'll check it out but I'm not expecting much. Not much to go on so far, but Sense8 is a pretty stupid sounding title.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

It IS a pretty stupid title. It sounds like a new KY product.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

HBO's current business model is too inextricably intertwined with television providers to do that. The network has, however, mentioned the possibility of bundling its on-demand streaming service HBO Go with internet providers.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The concept doesn't sound especially appealing to me, but the fact that a potentially expensive "scifi" show is finally being produced direct for streaming is important.

RAMA

15. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be giving this a pass. JMS is a stupefying writer and I don't, at present, have any insomnia that needs curing.

16. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget the Wachowski's are also responsible for the disaster of a film called Cloud Atlas. Not one I'd keep on my resume.

17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I want space ships!

Episodes of House of Cards are "much higher" than 4.5 million dollars an episode. For that kind of money they can make an awesome space opera show.

19. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

One person's desaster is another person's masterpiece. While some people picked it as their worst movie of 2012, it also showed up on a bunch of "best of" lists, including my own.

20. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Well both parties are well known for their grand ambitions and frankly THAT is what is missing in SF TV these days.

So, I'll take a (likely) interesting grand mess over another safe, cookie-cutter carbon-copy SyFy product any day of the week.

All of them try to play in a bigger, more layered sandbox than a good proportion of other film/TV producers out there these days, so I feel there is hope for some real imagination and scope (either structurally or philosophically).

In fact, the only person I would be more interested making an SF TV show right now is Chris Nolan. So although the W's and JMS have their whopping flaws, count me interested.

Hugo - Mr Straczynski, we missed you...