NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, Tebow did win a playoff game ;)

I hope the Eagles don't fall asleep at the wheel with Romo out like they did with Adrian Peterson.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Part of me agrees with you. Could you imagine Cowboys fans if Orton wins!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  3. Alidar Jarok

Eh, Cowboys fans suck regardless. It's hard to imagine them more obnoxious. :p

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Pro Bowl selections released. Not a terrible amount of surprises, but as always snubs are the result of not enough roster spaces for talented athletes.

One that sticks out for me: No Pat McAfee? Easily responsible for the best play by a punter this season.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I would say it's been the Cowboys' hilariously terrible defense that's been blowing games for the past few years. They put up 36 points against a Matt Flynn-led Packers team and still lost.

I know that the narrative is that Romo throws interceptions in the fourth quarter. Looking at late and close (within 7 points), Romo has thrown eight interceptions during the last three years, tying him with, wait for it, noted chokers Tom Brady and Eli Manning. It will also shock nobody to find out that Romo has thrown an extremely high number of passes in that situation (nearly twice as many as Eli, actually) thanks to starting every game and being on a team that's been exactly .500 for three consecutive years.

Romo's overall line in that sample, for whatever it's worth: 191-296 (64.5%), 2393 yards (8.08 YPA), 18 TD (6.1%), 8 INT (2.7%), 98.6 quarterback rating. That's basically identical in all aspects to his career rates, shockingly so actually.

6. Alidar Jarok

I thought Donnie Jones of the Eagles has had a great year (when things were rough, I probably would have said he was our best player ;) ). But punter is not a position that gets recognized easily and they all play fairly similarly so it's hard to say any punter is snubbed.

Although, out of curiosity, what did Pat McAfee do? His numbers seem decidedly average at best (16th in total yards, 12th in average yards, 32nd longest punt, 15th for number of times inside the 20, and 27th for net punting average).

7. Timby

[​IMG]

8. Use of Time

I always appreciate your attention to detail when you post. This is good. I'm partially ashamed to admit that as a Cowboys fan I am feeling an odd sense of relief that Romo isn't playing. I don't think Orton is better or anything, it's just that I think Romo could hang 40 on the Eagles and still lose. At least I will be spared the media avalanche that would result in another Romo "win or go home" loss. I plan on drinking heavily tomorrow night and hoping for a possible glimpse of Kitna throwing to Dez. For the lulz of course.

9. Timby

I think this is quite likely. The Cowboys' defense has been rough all season, but it's been hilariously terribad for the past six or seven weeks -- the only rushing defense that's worse is the Bears'. And after what the Eagles did to the Bears last Sunday night, I would not expect a low-scoring affair.

10. Alidar Jarok

Well, you can't have people hitting other people at the Pro Bowl, that would be terrible. Of course he didn't make it ;)

11. tighr

The play from the DEN/IND game is linked above, but basically it's everything you said. Punter is one of those positions that people don't generally know all the stats for, but Pro Bowl is picked based on popularity. That hit on Holliday was huge, and was in a primetime game.

It's easy to gloss over stats for the kickers, though. Yards (and points, for placekickers) are based on a whole host of factors. If your team is in good field position, you may be asked to punt it short, and that skews your numbers. If your team has a good offense, you may not be asked to punt as much. I saw on another board some people asking why Prater gets in, since he didn't have as many points as some of the other kickers and all he did this season was kick that 64 yarder... well, duh. He plays for the Broncos, he was rarely asked to kick a field goal at all this season. And a 64 yarder is a big deal. That, and he didn't miss when he was asked to, and generally from 50+.

12. Use of Time

Yeah people think the defense thing is an excuse for Romo but I swear to God it's like a new record every week. Here is a quick down and dirty run down of what I have had to watch this year.

Megatron had 329 receiving yards. Cowboys went into 4th quarter with a lead and added 17 more points. Lost.
    Saints set an NFL record for 40 first downs. Blowout.
    Cowboys scored 48 points against Denver...it wasn't enough.
    Bears start Monday Night Football by scoring on their first 8 possessions. Blowout.
    Packers score TD's on 5 consecutive drives in second half...in Dallas.

Each week is more soul crushing. That Packers game broke me.

13. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The best part about that hit is the "random" drug test he was required to take the next day. :lol:

14. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Normally its the punter who's on the receiving end of those "outweigh the other guy by 75 lbs" shots. ;)

15. Alidar Jarok

^ I have seen kickers have to make tackles before. I know David Akers has a few. It's less common to see punters do it, for some reason, although I have seen Sav Rocca make tackles before (he was an Aussie rules player before coming to the NFL, so that makes sense).

Are special teams chosen by popular vote as well?

I do think stats for kicking positions are hard. For punters, times inside the 20 and average punts are what I look for. I'd like to also see hangtime, but I can't remember seeing that recorded.

I agree that circumstances outside of one's control can account for a lot of placekicker statistics. That's why a lot of kickers can get in based on reputation (Adam Vinatieri is an example of someone who for years was a lock. He was certainly a great kicker, but I don't know if he was the best kicker each year). Punters, on the other hand, never get noticed, so it's hard to even get in by reputation.

16. tighr

The McAfee play was actually on a kickoff. Pat handles the kickoffs for the Colts, while Vinatieri does the field goals. Pat is also the kick holder on special teams.

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

What on Earth has happened with St. Louis? I've never seen a player ejected from a football game before today. And they've been losing their collective temper with the Hawks!

18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

MotherFUCKING Bears!!!

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

An ugly division rivalry got out of hand. 4 penalties on one play!

And the ejection came from completely accidental contact with the ref. It was a bullshit call, but I suppose they needed to get that game in hand.

A poor showing to finish the season for my Rams all the way around.

:scream:

At least I can take solace in the fact that I'm not a Bears' fan...

:lol:

What the hell was that? "Hey, let's let that guy just run right by us and see what happens..."

:shrug:

20. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I've never seen them lose it like this. Back when you guys had Kurt as your QB, I rooted for them when they weren't playing the Hawks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.