AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

So.. Another great episode.. But now I'm wondering.. What about the people in space, either in the shuttle or in the Space Station...

Think they were brought down when it became clear that the world was going to hell in a hand basket?

Think, if they're still up there, that they're wondering why no one at Houston has called in a while? :) "Ummm.. Guys? Hello?..."

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Judging from the preview for episode 3, Rick is going back for Dixon.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'd have to watch the scene again to recall specific dialogue, but I believe Glenn was concerned that the horse feeding frenzy and noise Rick had made would continue to draw more zombies to the area that had been farther away when they heard his gunshots.

they chose an area somewhat near Atlanta specifically because they believed it was the most likely area for future rescuers to find them.
    As far as defenses go, they maintain a constant watch with someone on top of Dale's RV armed with a rifle.

Way too much noise.

Edited to add: The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman was interviewed by EW about episode 2 "Guts."

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I suppose that makes sense. It may take days for them to disperse again under those conditions.

I suppose that makes sense, too, but it's not what I'd do.

5. RJDiogenes

That's an interesting question. It would make a good subject for a story.

6. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

loved it, loved Glenn & the scene were they "disguise" themselves. I like that they continue to show some sympathy for the zombies, like Rick remembering the one whose body they were going to use & the one lady zombie(again, huh) who was dragging herself on the street.

But as I was watching the gut removal/camo scene I was wondering, shouldnt there be massive swarms of flies like...everywhere?

7. kdalton_69

kdalton_69 Commander Red Shirt

They won't have to worry about shuttles in a few months ...

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

For anyone who has read the comic, do they explain how the Walking Dead came to be?

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

In the last the arc I read (I'm only up to #54 so far), no, though there was a character introduced in that arc who claimed to know what caused it. He didn't reveal it, however, because he considered it classified information and was on his way to Washington, D.C. The series is currently up to issue #79, coming out November 24, so it's certainly possible that the information was revealed in one of the arcs I haven't read yet.

10. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a short book I'm working on which explains it all. Won't be too much longer. A few weeks . . .

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna be disagreeable. I'm not finding the show very gripping. And I feel like we've here before.

The "Let's disguise ourselves as Zombies" I kept thinking about Shaun of the Dead. And I shouldn't be thinking about Shaun of the Dead...

And, with the racist and the key....I really wished the guy hadn't dropped it. Easy out. I really wish the guy had said, suck it, and chucked the key. I want to see people start acting like this is a world without rules. I want to see people struggling with humanity. Basically, I felt like it was an easy out, having the key fall into a whole.

The guy could've given him the hack saw.

Another meh, not sure what the fuss is.

12. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

Try watching Romero's "Survival of the Dead". I guarantee it'll give you a new appreciation for "The Walking Dead". Or really just about anything else that's half-way competent.

13. RJDiogenes

This was pretty well done. The Zombie disguise sequence was very suspenseful, with the ominous rumblings of thunder, followed by the rain (although it did end pretty quickly and conveniently). The Zombies seem to have an eerie intelligence sometimes. And some of them can really move if they want to; I hope they don't overdo that.

I loved the scene where they took time to recognize the identity of the guy they had to chop up.

The last scene with Glenn on the highway was hilarious. Although I find it hard to believe that the inbound lanes would be empty like that; lots of people would have tried to get out that way, too.

14. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Some differences from the comics:

I don't remember the zombies being able to climb fences. It also seemed to be implied that they didn't move very fast (in comparison to the half-run of some of the zombies in this episode).

Also, I think the sex (between the wife and the best friend) was just a one-time event that was revealed later in the storyline.

It's been a long time since I read the opening story arcs, so I could be wrong.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  15. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the characters said that it was just a cloud burst, that they get them all the time, and it would pass pretty quick.

16. USS Avenger

USS Avenger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I also noticed that one of the zombies was using a rock (or maybe a piece of broken pavement) to try to break through the glass doors of the department store. That use of a simple tool has me wondering just how intelligent these zombies are. Who knows what else they could figure out?

17. Etched

Etched Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The second episode didn't quite live up to the first one in terms of quality and I did have a major issue with them standing around in full view of the zombies trying to break through the glass doors, but this is still the most promising tv show I've seen in a long while.

As for there only being 6 episodes, well I'd much rather have 6 good episodes than 13 mediocre ones. Shorter seasons often equate to better quality, imo, because the writers/producers can tell the story they want to tell without having to pad it out.

Look at the majority of the big network shows, you only really need to watch the first, penultimate and finale of any season to know what's going on, the rest are all standalone episodes and filler.

There definitely seems to be some tiny flickering remnant of who they once were. We saw the wife of Lennie James's character trying the door to the house where she died and the deputy was still hanging around the police station. Then there was the little girl picking up the teddy bear. Does that remnant mean there is also a vestige of human intelligence in there somewhere?

18. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah that bugge dme too. If you're going to have a moment, do it somewhere where its not going to get the zombies even more worked up. Or if you're going to stand around, do something productive like move some of those racks or display cases in front of the doors.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a bit odd that they could hop the fence but couldn't figure out the ladder.

20. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Good news, Zomfans! TWD got renewed for a 2nd season! :D