The Doctor Who Schematics Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Jul 11, 2010.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Thanks man, ya' know, in retrospect I think back to my earlier work on what I thought the Tardis might be...

and I have to say, what the F&$#! Was I thinking!!

this is so much more interesting a design and it just has that doctor who feel to it.. and it does something the other subsequent designs have not had.. much to psion's comments..

this design has style..:techman:

so here is the art work for you guys in larger scale format with no lines.. just the ships..
    [​IMG]

when the TaRDIS FULLY GROWS, it takes on the form below..
    [​IMG]

and here is a version of the completed structure with rivets added to tie into the central core structure aesthetic..
    [​IMG]

these designs will be featured in the final Time Lord compendium I am working on..I am glad you like this..

I love it!! I would love to have a 3D model done, or even a toy of this worked up, that would be cool!:bolian: imagine the central section in a bronze colour, and the rest in a golden reddish time lord colour.. then the side panels which house the columns which resemble the classic tardis from the baker-sylvestri era..in gray and white..the ship could add or remove tardis rooms if you wanted, and also light up in key areas making that tardis vrrrrrooop vrrrrop sound!

On a different note, this massive structure spins in it's own dimension and in our universe, it is also spinning.. until it lands, in which case, the tardis ship is also stationary..

someone asked me about the titanic and why it only crashed into the console room and not the rest of the ship.. my response is that the console room is closer to our dimension, and as such since the access gateway is also located there, if the Tardis were to be effected by something in our dimension, it would effect the ship in the console room first.. because the console room is closer to reality.. there probably have been many times that the tardis console room has had mishaps, and the rest of the ship was oblivious to them.. much like during the antics seen in the Davidson years..

Most of the Tardis is automated.. it is grown through molecular means.. and as such the machinery is easily maintained by the computer program, and architectural matter assembly array..think of it as a massive Star Trek Replicator machine, only it replicates what ever the ship needs, and creates rooms to whatever the doctor desires..much like the time lords did for him on Gallifrey when he returned to take on being president..

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The science of this is fascinating and I'll admit a little mind boggling even to a "fictional" technical junkie like myself.

3. starsuperion

yeah I will admit, about almost 3 years ago now.. when I took up this little side project to chronicle what the Tardis was, and try to match everything I have seen, read and heard into one cohesive technical design, I was a little overwhelmed..

there was soooo much material that contradicted itself, and I just could not get myself around how the interior ship could change, or rearrange itself.. then I found out that each of those console rooms exist, as do much of the ship we have already seen.. and it made sense..the Time lords have a handle on matter manipulation..which makes sense as well since they can construct whole ships out of energy to matter conversion.. like the food replicators on a star fleet ship..

in some series we miss allot of behind the scenes things that happen.. like the doctor moving to another part of the ship, and then using the architectural program to construct a new console room, which then switches the focus of the ship's gateway to that room..not to mention that the section of the Tardis then changes to resemble that console room aesthetic...the doctor exits his old console room, via the door and then once ready he goes inside and there is his new console room, refitted and ready to go..

Basically he exists the ship on one side, and then a new console rooms is constructed in another part of the ship, and he re-enters a new side of his massive tardis.. to a new look and feel..

I found out that the Tardis is indeed a capsule of time, which exists in a bubble outside of time-space..but is anchored by it's doorway in time-space.. this bubble is created by placing a block math transfer copy of the eye of harmony at it's core, and by using the eye of harmony to seal off a section of time-space from reality, and wedge that into a matter construct is how they are able to access time, and space easily..

the ship is easily moved though this cause it exists outside of normal time-space except for the anchor and gateway..to dematerialize the anchor and move it into the time vortex, which is sorta a field of space like subspace.. only that using the chronometer calculator it weighs atomic particles by age, and then accesses the time vortex, to arrive at that particular age state..

what is hard to get your head around is that the police box is the outside of the ship, and the massive engines and such are inside of that box..but in another dimension.. the box is being moved by those engines though on the outside we see nothing..just a spinning box, or a dematerializing box..

the ship's engines in it's own dimension are massive and like a warp drive system which bends space and time around the police box.. this moves the police box about space and it can accelerate space-time to move the police box into a time vortex ( a hyperspace or subspace type of travel) ..this has to be done by dematerializing the box into this realm, and it thrusts the ship in to a warp like state, which jolts it..

here are the simple things to remember..

the tardis console room when powered is the first link to the outer reality.. and is the first place something would end up if crashing into the Tardis police box..(Voyage of the damned)

The Tardis can fly in normal space like a jet, but requires precise control (the runaway bride)

if the Tardis outside is laid on it's back the entire ship in the alternate dimension will also slide back on it's side..(the 11th hour)

However, the Tardis comes with a device that adjusts the ship's interior to remain level when the ship lands and if the outside police box ends up on it's side, the interior is still right side up..(nyssa uses it at some point, I forget the episode)

The tardis uses a fluid like system with a liquid power system, rather then wires..the fluid has the particles which allow the energy to move at a more efficient state then wires, and allows the energy to remain at a constant and not suffer from energy degradation..

Artron energy is the reaction of the energy from the cloister core, and the particles given off by the dynamorphic generators ( massive crystals which absorb energy particles form the universe and act like a generator producing additional energy for the ship.) it is stated that these crystal power rooms are so massive that the doctor can look up and see storm clouds above them..

the Tardis has a basic frame work of what resembles victorian steel work..this is present just before a room is produced around it..

If the Tardis is shaken, then the entire capsule of space that the Tardis ship exists in is shaken as well.. which is why the Tardis has dimensional stabilizers to help it remain still and safe..these generators also keep the dimension particles the same length from each other to keep the size of the ship at a constant equilibrium to our spacial reality.. Basically

Our space has expansion, and size, and depth.. as our space is expanding and contracting in areas, it always has a scale.. when the Tardis seals itself off from our space time in it's own capsule, there is no scale, or space expansion, and time has no reference..the ship is inside an effective bubble..

so the ship has to use it's power source, the cloister room, to expand the ship's particles through block math computations, to match our real space.. other wise the Tardis interior would look smaller then the outside..this is controlled by a monitor device on the console.. as the tardis exists our reality and renters it, that detector measures the space and expansions in space, and then relay's that info to the computer which adjusts the tardis to the outside's parameters..this has to be done everytime the ship lands..the Tardis is constantly harmonizing itself to normal space..should this function become compromised the ship's interior will become a different size..(the time meddler)

this sensor also affects the size of the computations used to determine the chameleon circuit's outside scale.. hence why the police box is sometimes larger and smaller then it should be..the fourth doctor and Adric tried to get those computations and dimensions corrected by measuring a real police box..(Logopolis)

the cloister room core is a block math transfer copy of the eye of harmony, and is also a heart of a black hole, a singularity..this has the ability to warp the spacial dimension which the ship exists in, and must be controlled by the computer to direct the graviton particles and maintain the bubble and scale the ship exists in..and match the scale the ship opens up to..

the copy of the eye is charged with energy from the original, and then both eye's of harmony are used to bend space much like a black hole does, only the copy eye is sealed in it's own bubble of space-time, while the original also bends space-time around the copy..creating a bubble.. then a breach is created into this bubble and held in a force field, which is then converted into matter, and a door is constructed around those particles, which makes the doorway (on a subatomic level) the breach into that dimension..

it would be like taking the particles of a portal and mixing cement around them, and then making a doorway out of it.. the cement is now touchable, and tangible and not just energy.. but matter, and still able to transport you to the other realm..

how does the Tardis access this particle doorway? easily it powers up through the control console and matches those door particles which establishes the gateway lock.. this can be duplicated all over the ship from any console room, but can only be accessed one at a time...because the console room has to be powered up to access the gateway. only 1 console room is powered up at a time..

basically if you left the current console room and shut it down to use an older model, the gateway would cease to work in the current model, and the classic gateway would then begin to work in that classic console room..

the Tardis can jettison rooms, but when it does it converts the rooms matter back into energy which can be directed into the time vortex and used for thrust..the matter array is what creates the rooms, and the time lords on Gallifrey also had this ability, but they have to make sure that the calculations to construct matter is correct in order to produce the materials needed..(the Invasion of time-the lead plating of the president's private room)

4. starsuperion

Sorry.. duplicate post..

5. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow.

Wow.

WOW!

Look, StarSuperion, I apologize for my absence here, but I've been very tight on time lately and letting one commitment after another slip, so the last thing I can afford right now is to spend the time on your posts that you so richly deserve. But ...

WOW!

That last design is just outstanding. Brilliant! It's been fun watching you progress along this remarkable journey of yours!

6. starsuperion

thanks man I AM GLAD YOU LIKE THIS ONE AS I DO LIKE IT BEST, take a second look, I just added a variation, with rivets.. I hope you like it..

this will definitely be the final Tardis Type 40.. now, what is cool is that I can modify this structure and do more advanced versions of it.. which eventually lead to the war tardis designs, and the living tardis ships..pretty cooL huh?

sigh...

finally...my work and research is complete..(or just beginning..) :techman:

7. starsuperion

Alright here is the final full scale design of the revised and final, heavy cruiser Bowship.. the Vanquisher class!!

Next up, the Avenger Class Light Cruiser!

I hope you like this one..

For those who are not aware, in the early days of Gallifrey Before time travel, the Gallifreyans, including Rassilon went to war with a super sized race of Vampires, who feed off the life force of planets.. to combat these ancient and dangerous creatures, the Gallifreyans created a fleet of Bowships capable of firing off a massive steel bolt to pierce the heart of the Vampire menace.. the Vampires could heal from energy damage at a fast rate, so many Bowships would fire on a Great Vampire to keep it busy as another ship would take it's shot and impale the beast.

Should a Bowship's Bolt weapon become impaired, the Bowships were equipped with a ram spike as a last ditch effort to kill their enemy, the bowship would ram the monster as the crew escaped via escape pods..these pods were automatically sent back to Gallifrey via a subspace network, which was linked to a "Hyperdrive Magnetizer" It was basically a Hyper drive engine on a small scale, but utilizing the network of satellite array throughout the galaxy acts like a magnet attacking the pods as they travel back to Gallifrey..each time they pass the array they gain more speed..until the last array which slows them into Gallifrey airspace.

Below is the Vanquisher Class-Heavy Cruiser:
    If you use Mozilla Firefox, right click and select view image option to see the entire ship easily..or just download and save..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  8. starsuperion

Bow (ship) -

The bow is a nautical term that refers to the forward part of the hull of a ship or boat, the point that is most forward when the vessel is underway.

The reason the ship is Called a Bowship, is because on the front end of all the ships (The Bow) they contain a massive ram spike at the end.

Some have suggested that maybe the term "Bow" alludes to the ship being like a Bow and Arrow device, I have steered away from this type of idea, only because it makes much more sense to me that the Term "Bow" would reference a nautical meaning..

Plus to design a space ship around a Bow from the Bow and arrow seems absurd in my mind..many nautical ships had harpooners in the old days, so the massive steel bolt coming from a space vessel and not a massive bow weapon. seems logical and feasible to me..as the giant steel bolts are akin to a whaling harpoon in that sense.

Early Gallifreyan Tech should have an arcane look but a super tech feel to it in my view.. as was shown in the 5 doctors with the layout of the Tower of Rassilon..so making the bowships blocky and with fortress like reinforced hull plates on it's side makes it seem like more of a battle ship able to withstand a psychic blow, or even a direct punch from a massive Great vampire..

in the diagram above, the ship's speed is marked in H/S/P

Hyper Space Parsec.. which in Warp factor terms is exactly 2.5 Warp factors per every 1 Warp factor..

so if the Enterprise is going at warp factor 2, the Vanquisher's speed at Hyper space Parsec 2 would be converted into Warp factor at 5

Hyper space travel for Gallifreyans is much faster then Warp factor speeds..

The time lords to me would have branched out all of the universe (which means other galaxies) looking to kill these Vampires as the legends go.. so in order to traverse that distance, it would seem that their ships would have to go super fast.. I think that the Time lords had a network of engineered worm holes, and a network of emergency escape pod arrays all over the universe so that they could get back home easily if need be..

In addition they must have had a massive mining ship to create supplies for their steel bolt weapons, and to create escape pod array stations as they entered sections of space that was unexplored..

so to me, the logistics, and practicality behind the massive Vampire War is what I find the most intriguing, in addition to the designing of their ships.. and technology.

bridge floor plans, engineering floor plans, and so on will be accompanying these designs..

though I will most likely center on the Vanquisher class, simply cause I love the heavy cruiser the best, though I think a fav among many will definitely be the Dreadnought..

this would actually make a great computer game..I may purchase Spore and try to make these ships on my own.. :techman:
    later guys, I will upload the Dreadnought and light cruiser designs..

I think a Gallifreyan fleet was composed of 2 heavy cruisers, 2 light cruisers, and 1 massive mining support vessel, and 1 dreadnought, and 3 staser attack drones..

the hyperspace bulbs on the back of the ship look like the classic enterprise, and spin as if they were fans, and they glow a bright blueish colour.. this gives an almost sea ship look to the craft.. the ship's main colours were a rusty like red, and golden glowing high gallifreyan hieroglyphs..with the ships name and the symbols of Gallifrey in chrome..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  9. starsuperion

okay just to keep you guys interested.. here is a preview of the Light cruiser and the Heavy Bowship together..

[​IMG]

as you can see the Light Cruiser and the Heavy have a lot in common..with some minor differences.. the light cruiser has less weaponry, while having a more reinforced front section.. in contrast the heavy cruiser has less frontal armour, while retaining more weaponry and an extra engine.. In this image, the Light Cruiser almost looks to be the same size as the Heavy, in actuality, the Light is about 1 times, smaller or about 8% smaller then the image shows above.. the image above is purely for viewing the ships together in full detail...

ship designations for Gallifreyan Bowships:

Light Cruiser (Avenger Class):

Avenger
    Valiance
    Endeavor
    Gallant
    Courageous
    Intrepid
    Retaliator
    Vindicator
    Nemesis
    Retribution
    Vengeance

Heavy Cruiser (Vanquisher Class):

Vanquisher
    Challenger
    Conqueror
    Champion
    Defender
    Guardian
    Prevailer
    Expounder
    Paladin
    Sentinel
    Conservator
    Furious

Anti-gravity Discs: A particularly advanced mode of transport and propulsion, the Gallifreyan Bowships had the ability to use negative gravitons to press against the Positive gravitons which attracted objects, and give them the ability to hover while in a planets atmosphere, and to also give their engines free range of flight capabilities while in a solar system..these gravitational forces, even slight ones could be countered easily by using these anti-gravity discs..the metal was charged with the negative gravtion particles and their ships would effortlessly hover or move while in battle..some battles were waged on a planet's surface, much to the horror of the life below, and some battles were waged in space, orbiting a planet..

these discs could also come in handy should a bowship need to stop it's decent in case of damages sustained in battle.

okay so somehow the original schematic of the bowship is missing, so, here it is again..
    [​IMG]

By starsuperion at 2010-08-23

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  10. starsuperion

Here is a depiction I did for the Time Lord Compendium, as a reference, as to what the planet Gallifrey looks like..

we have 4 continents, 3 oceans, and so on..
    this is the basic trial of the design.. more on this to come later..

I suppose the hardest thing for me is deciding how to showcase the map of the planet in the compendium... do I do
    a fold out page?? or do I do some kind of different continental map, and so on, and so on.. what is missing is the name
    for the fourth continent.. which is the Continent of Immeasurable beauty, it is the home of Lune Forest, one of
    the most beautiful places in all of Gallifrey..

anyhow, here is Gallifrey!
    [​IMG]

Well it is never stated as to how many academies are on Gallifrey or if it is simply one main academy..
    I choose to go with the theory that is is definitely six different Academies, and all are dedicated to their particular place of study..it would seem logical to me,
    that with a population of about 9 billion on Gallifrey, that there would be a series of Academies all over the World.. each pulling from the smartest minds, and
    families all over the globe, and the ultimate in academic achievement would be to attend and be accepted into one of these 6 Academies..

once graduated you are then sent to the citadel where you are assigned a task and job.. and from there continue your evolution into one of the elite Time Lords..
    Training and pomp.. all rolled into one ideology..

Anyhow, I just figured I would add that in..

11. Admiral_Young

This is awesome...gonna take a while to go over all the locations. Just a note on the names of the ships, sort of a nitpicky thing, but why would the Time Lord's use human sounding names for their ship class classifications? I wouldn't mind seeing a few "out there" "alien" sound names for once. This is "Doctor Who" after all ;)

12. starsuperion

No no no, that is a completely valid point and critique..:techman: I myself was thinking of maybe doing a series of names for those ships and basing them on old heroes of Gallifrey.. only I realized something..

most of their revered heroes were from the era of the Bowship, and space exploration...and the early days of time lord travels...

I could just make up some names, but here is the thing.. the Time Lord vocabulary is similar to that of the English as for words and terms of those words.. so what may sound Gibberish to us, in English would sound like Vanquisher (or translate into the meaning of the word).. and so on..

It's Not that I would not want to make my own names up, it is just that in the context of Doctor who, the names would be meaningless cause in our language the doctor would pronounce it as we know the word..

I could try and use ancient names that the Gallifreyans may have known for lesser gods and such, but the problem with that is realistically after the fall of the Pythia, and the expelling of them from Gallifrey, I can not see the Gallifreyans and Rassilon wanting to embrace any part of their mystical and irrational history..at least not on a fond level..

13. starsuperion

Here is a sneak peak of the up coming Rutan Fighter Pod Schematic! Hope you guys like, and thanks for viewing..:techman:
    -A
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  14. Admiral_Young

Fascinating design...

15. starsuperion

Thanks Admiral!:techman: It is based on a number of ideas, mainly the body shape being the most likely to mimic the style or the anthropology of the Rutan race, as they are basically electrically charged floating neon green glowing space-jellyfish..

Or more specifically:
    In their natural forms, Rutans resemble large green jellyfish, glowing blobs of biomatter with long ropy tentacles. They are amphibious and can cling to sheer vertical surfaces, with considerable mobility out of the water despite their shape. Rutans can also generate lethal bioelectrical shocks, and seem to be able to absorb electrical energy directly for sustenance. It also seems as if their electrical energy capacity could allow them to fly or hover for periods of time..

so using that, and references from the doctor who episode "Horror of Fang Rock" with Tom Baker..

I decided a Rutan Pod fighter would have a similar shell in some respects.. and that their ship could siphon energy off other ship's shielding and use that as an advantage to disable an enemy.. through their ship tentacles..they would swarm a sontaran pod, and suck it dry then destroy it..also they would have forward laser batteries and a fluid filled cockpit..where the ship is controlled through a mental link provided by some discs that attach to their body..a schematic with that will be uploaded in detail to show you what I mean and will be included in the final work up of this ship..

Anyways, the tubes on the outer hull feed the ship's massive propulsion systems.. those rings on the side are what moves it through space.. I am thinking from ion energy, or maybe a unique form of sonic particle thrust..I haven't decided yet..I would imagine the Rutans were superior at sonic technology..

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  16. Admiral_Young

It looks like a good mesh of organic and mechanical materials which I like...be interested to see it colored.

17. starsuperion

I always thought these ships would be a grayish green colour..maybe aquamarine..

18. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Have you thought about doing Dalek and Cybermen ships?

Although the Dalek saucer is pretty much the default New Series ship (taking a cue from Dalek Invasion of Earth), they've used a few other ships here and there. There was a website dedicated to Dalek ships a while ago, unfortunately it no longer exists :(

I could swear the Cybership design seen in "Pandorica opens" was a CG recreation of the cyndrical ships seen in the Invasion...

19. starsuperion

Actually yes, after tackling the Gallifreyan Bowships, and the Rutans, my next project was going to be the Daleks saucers, crucible and a few other cool ships from their past..

I am also going to do the war tardis, and the cruciform, which is a magnificent Weapon!

20. starsuperion

I decided to revise the Rutan War pod design, and remove the tentacles..it was pointed out to me by a friend that the pod looked like a sperm with those hanging off the back..

anyhow, I decided it would be just better to go without those..more designs of the rutans and such are coming soon, and the Time lord compendium updates by tomorrow.. thanks for viewing!

[​IMG]