Twenty years since Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DS9forever, Apr 25, 2015.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I thought it worth mentioning these two great episodes.

"Improbable Cause" and "The Die Is Cast" were the first episodes that Ira Steven Behr was the showrunner for and, by his design, "The Die is Cast" had the biggest space battle that had ever been seen in ST. The episodes also showed how important recurring characters would be to the series, with Garak and Tain driving much of the plot and were the first episodes where the Changelings start to infiltrate the Alpha Quadrant.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

A couple of episodes that would've been great to see with an HD facelift.

3. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great episode(s).

These are the two episodes that actually go me into DS9. Before them, the show was never really interesting to me.

4. SoullessMinion

SoullessMinion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Two genuinely great episodes. I haven't re-watched them in a few years, this thread has given me a yen to do so.

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

20 years. Wow. Loved these two. Setup nicely in Defiant, too.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great episodes, but I wish we would have seen more of the outside battles in Die is Cast. I understand why we couldn't though, but I always love seeing the Defiant in Action and just with a little more money, I think the episode could have been better.

7. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Of course, it was departing showrunner Michael Piller's advice that resulted in it turning into a two-parter - originally, the scene with Bashir was a genuine "tell Sisko about the rod" bit after they wrote themselves into a corner. He suggested they "kick out the wall", which caused some production problems (the Mirror Universe episode was filmed between the two, because they were already prepping it when the decision to make a two-parter was made, and they got lucky with being able to get all the recurring actors back for the second ep).

8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great thread.

A local used book shop has had DS9 Season 3 sitting on the shelf for the last couple years. I always pass it by because I can never remember if I liked any of the episodes.

I think I'll go for it now.

Kor