im planning to watch all star trek media chronologically

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by entity, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entity

entity Lieutenant Red Shirt

also there are some people who dislike nutrek who are bullies, saying stuff like "oh you must have ADHD" or "youre stupid" stuff like that

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That is part of any fandom. Just don't worry about it and like what you want to like.

3. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

just like what you like. how will it effect your life at all if some anonymous person you will never meet disagrees with you?

If you enjoy old trek and hate nutrek, then embrace it. If you like both, embrace it. If you only like nutrek, then embrace it.

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

That list does place ST: Insurrection after DS9: What You Leave Behind, which is debatable.
    I've heard that theory before, but I don't get why Worf would be installing defenses on the Manzar Colony (before he met the E-E crew) when he's supposed to be on his way to Qo'noS.

Most people assume it's set around DS9: It's Only A Paper Moon, just because he's not in that episode.

5. entity

Well regardless I think it's a cool list, it'll be like traveling through time and history in star trek

6. section31agent

section31agent Lieutenant Red Shirt

First of all welcome to the board and the world of Star Trek fandom. I'm glad that the new movies have brought new interest into our old shows and I hope more people like you are willing to give it a try.

But it is a daunting task for someone that has no idea where to start. Good for you on finding that chronology list. I'm a long time fan and even I didn't know it existed. (But as pointed out earlier, Insurrection is in the wrong place lol)

Just remember that the SNL skit is meant to be funny, no need to take it so seriously. Of course they are going to take the most extreme and exaggerated, nerdy looking fans to make us look bad. But it's just a joke.

Yes there are a people here that bash the new movies and say it isn't canon. There are people that bash voyager and enterprise the same way. But just remember that the most vocal people don't necessarily represent the view of the majority.

I like Star Trek as a whole. Yes I prefer some series to others, but I don't go around bashing the new Abrams movies or a particular series. Every series has their good and their bad.

I thought the 2009 Star Trek was not bad. I wished we could've continued in the original universe and see how the original crew got together but the alternate universe story is not bad too. The best part was the beginning where Kirk's father sacrifices himself for the crew of the Kelvin. The dumbest part however, is how Kirk went from cadet to captain. That part made no sense at all.

I absolutely loved ST Into Darkness. I was always a fan of Section 31 in the tv series. And I really loved how they tied in the 72 photon torpedoes. I knew the number was familiar but it was a while since I watched Khan from the original universe lol. Otherwise I would've figured out earlier than Khan was hiding his men in there. (You probably have no idea what I'm talking right now but you will when you get to that part in the original series)

So it is possible to be a fan of tv series and not be a hater of the new movies.

One of the reasons that I think Star Trek is so great is that it such a big and immersive setting. 700 episodes, 12 movies. And they all tie in with each other and constantly refer back and forth to each other. So much so that I have to look stuff up on memory-alpha.com when I forget lol.

In a way I kind of envy you taking this journey for the first time. I hope you enjoy it and watch it all the way through to the end so you can see how this giant puzzle all adds up together.

7. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

I watched them concurrently once. It was...not great. didn't work at all.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Concurrently? For reals?!

9. entity

dude, he saved the fucking PLANET, you think theyd say "ok you saved the planet, and now i have tenure, but you still need to pass finals" thats stupid

10. entity

i hope so too. it'll take the same amount of time as the journey to destroy the one ring

11. danielcw

danielcw Lieutenant Red Shirt

I consider myself a big Star Trek, and when the new movie was coming out in 2009, I was really looking forward to it.

I had not seen that SNL skit, but I have seen it now, and I laughed a lot. Around that time, there was also this, IMHO funny, skit from the Onion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM
    Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'

While I do not doubt, that some fans thought like that, I think it is fair to say, that those sketches just used hyperbole to be funny, that is all. Those sketches should not ruin anyone's hype.
    (Well maybe Rick Berman's son should not watch it, because it is not his fathers Star Trek ;) )
    I am sure most people, most Trek fans, saw those sketches as what they are, namely sketches, and were laughing a long, or just annoyed by the humor.

12. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

haha...yup. I was bored one day and found a version of the scripts online that had been spliced together. A few minutes of editing later and I had the whole thing as one episode. It really doesn't work that way.

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If there's a skit making fun of the things you like, it's important not to take it personally, even if they're making fun of the fandom. Because you're the one deriving enjoyment from it, not them, and that's *their* problem, not yours. They have to sit down and come up with jokes, which is hard work. You just have to sit back in your couch and watch Trek, which is much, much easier.

For me, I feel secure enough in what I like that I also enjoy jokes at Trek's expense, SNL included, who also had a brief tribute to Leonard Nimoy. And there are many other posters like that, too. Because at the end of the day, Trek is what we want, and we're confident about what we like. No need to get defensive about it.

14. section31agent

The ship has a chain of command with a crew of over 400. Pike making Kirk the first officer before he left the ship (and before he saved the whole fucking planet) makes no sense and is stupid.

This is not some privately run civilian cargo ship where the captain can groom whoever he likes as his replacement.

After Kirk and Spock, the next in line were usually Lt. Commander Scott or Lieutenant Sulu. Since Scott had just joined the crew of at the time of the movie, Sulu should be in command. Assuming his background hasn't changed too much from the original universe, Sulu is described as an "experienced combat officer". That's why he was trusted to command the Enterprise in battle against the Gorn at Cestus III. He also led the Enterprise and an entire Federation fleet against a Klingon invasion fleet at Organia. These were two of the most famous battles from the original series. And then Sulu would probably be the one that saved the whole planet.

Pike makes a big deal about Kirk's inexperience in Star Trek Into Darkness. Saying he doesn't respect the chair or the risks it presents. He uses dumb luck to justify his actions. Even Kirk himself by the end of the movie felt he didn't belong in that chair when he turned over command to Spock. Ironic since Pike is the one that gave him his command.

Kirk from the original universe did his time serving on other starships rising through the ranks slowly and gaining experience. He knows the risks and remembers watching half his crewmates die on the USS Farragut because he felt he reacted too slowly as weapons officer. This was the battle hardened officer that was given command of the Enterprise. Even when he was faced with impossible decisions he never once doubted whether or not he belonged in that chair and nor did anyone else around him.

If you work in the private sector yes, once in a while you see some stupid kids get high positions because of family connections. And they might lose money for the company, but if his parents or uncles own the company then its fine. It happens. But you can't just show up take command of a government owned aircraft carrier even if your dad is the secretary of defense. Yeah you will probably get promoted faster if they know who your dad is but you're not going from naval academy cadet to captain of the USS Nimitz

That said, it was just a minor part of the movie I didn't like. Overall I still enjoyed it. We know Kirk has to be the captain somehow in the end, I just wish they had a better background story to it.

15. entity

i respect your opinion very much, i really do, but as i said someone who saves the planet in real life would get a great honor, im a little over halfway done with enterprise season 1, and its like a workplace sitcom in space, not that thats a bad thing,

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Let's say a police cadet was suspended for cheating on a test. While suspensed, he snuck into the White House and started raving about danger until they kicked him out. He then sneaks in again and turns out to be right, saving the life of POTUS.

He would get commendations out the ass, but do you think he would be promoted to Captain right then and there?

17. entity

no question in my mind

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Then I will say no more.

19. entity

im enjoying my "chrono-watch" as you call it BTW, im thinking of writing a review of each little chunk of episodes from any one series chronologically, theyll be split up by season

20. section31agent

Unfortunately season 1 and 2 of ENT are pretty bad. So if you can bear with it that's good lol. But there are still some good episodes that are few and far between. And while I'm at it, I'll warn you about TNG season 1 and 2, those are pretty bad too. The latter half of Voyager is also a bit repetitive. And the odd numbered movies aren't so great either

But the good stuff at least IMO is Enterprise season 3 and 4, all of TOS, TNG season 3-7, DS9 season 3-7 and the first half of Voyager.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.