X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Fassbender all the way! Oh, yeah. ;)

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I really think he'd make a good Bond in a more classical, '60s-like take on the character as the current take on the character and series isn't doing much for me. As mentioned up-thread the scenes with Erik/Magneto seeking out Kevin Bacon were good Bondian-like scenes. Hell all of his scenes pretty much were.

3. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, I had the thread away from strictly Fassbender, but I'll bring it back! Bean gets stabbed in the bar, but Fassbender can make a mean martini. Who wins?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I agree the Craig reboot should have been a period film. That was in fact what I expected. Oh, you are doing the first book, but now it is going to contemporary, and everyone else is the same but Bond? And CR was so off the moment that it is already dated. Sony Ericson phones? I also thought the same for the Fantastic Four films. I expected an introduction to FF to take place in the 60s as well and was very disappointed that it was made into farcical modern fun. I don't understand why we don't just tell tales where they belong.

Coming up next on BBC America: The War Between The States, 2012 starring Gillian Anderson (She was partially raised here, good enough reason for us to air it!)

4. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

And I think that a live action X-Men TV show is relatively feasable.

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

just as long as its nothing like Smallville.

6. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe if Joss ever came back to tv and Fox doesn't screw him again we could see Astonishing X-Men transition from page to screen.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you seen the motion-comic of Joss's first book of Astonishing X-Men?

8. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No I haven't but I'll check it out.

9. Guy Gardener

It's panel for panel the comic, as are all all motion comics.

Full cast too.

I think I'll buy a small bottle of bourbon befor I watch Warren Ellis' Extremis Iron Man motion comic.

10. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that it's doable given the current state of CGI but probably only if they adopt a similar feel to the first movie, which was refreshing effects and explosions light. The budget on Heroes was high despite the low use of powered special effects. They would also have to leave out make-up heavy characters like Mystique (unless in disguise), Nightcrawler, and Beast apart from the occasional guest appearance. Even Angel, steel Colossus, or a iced-up Iceman could be a nightmare.

Probably a core of effects-light characters such as Wolverine, Shadowcat, Cyclops, Jean Grey, etc could work and then feature the effects-heavy characters infrequently - sort of like a variable Mission Impossible team.

11. Guy Gardener

Which is exactly why they just keep rebooting the cartoon.

I wonder if Banshee and Moira are going to hook up like in the comics?

Why cgi? pretend it's the 1960s.

IrwinAllenology.

How difficult would it be to make a dry ice body sock? or what about claymation for Bobby's Iceform?

Cyclops' Powers could be done with a felt tip pen.

Jean Grey's telekensis with fishing wire.

the beast just has to stuff his socks.

Angel can fly without wings, or have him as Archangel with mehanical wings and those razor sharp machette feathers.

The original X-Men doesn't seem impossible?

How long till the X-Men/Avengers cross-over at the movies?

12. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Look to the final series of Xena for how to do angels without too much cgi. I include Jean Grey precisely because fishing wire could be used. She can barely lift a tea cup in any event and even then only with great conentration.

13. Guy Gardener

But it's Susan Richards who talks about making air bubbles explode in peoples brains FIRST.

Jean Grey is a wuss.

With a little bit of practice back in the 60s she could decide between making her targets, dead, blind or retarded. But Marvel Girl punked out with only making dread villains float ineffectually or suffer the cruel fate of being smacked by 2 pounds of bric-a-brac.

Xena is on my to-do list.

14. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Why do people continue to call this new Bond a reboot? Isn't Bond basically rebooted EVERY TIME it changes the lead actor? Also, did the Bond movies ever had any real continuity (canon, whatever)?

15. KB24

Yeah Bond is the king of reboots, but they expressly claimed they were wiping the slate clean with Craig. If he is learning how to get his 00 chops, I expected to be, you know, when the first book actually takes place.

I'm tired of everything rebooting. You can't just do over 100 mil movies every time they don't make you 200 mil. I would love to see a 60s set X-Men who with the main crew learning the ropes. I think it can be done as cheaply or affordably nil on effects as you want. The trouble would be getting the quality cast for the money and actually the right mutants. If there was a TV show with this younger class, I could care less about Angel I'll tell you that.

Fantastic Four would make a good series- dark and brooding with little CGI. 3 out of 4 don't always have to show their powers anyway. The Phantom would be a good serial, but Syfy tried that and took every wrong effing direction possible.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

you are rapidly becoming my favourite BBS poster!

Well, there's a sort of loose continuity. OHMSS referenced the other movies in flashbacks, but you did have the 'this never happened to the other fellow' line at the start. Bond visits Tracy's grave at the start of You Only Live Twice and is attacked by Blofeld. Bond's having been married was mentioned in Licence To Kill. Goldeneye made it clear that 007 was a man with a past, a relic from the cold war, as M put it, while Die Another Day showed lots of the gadgets from other movies. CR was the first time that we saw the beginning of Bond's career and made it clear that this was a post-cold war world. So it was the first time that it was clear that this Bond didn't have any of the adventures of 'the other fellows.'

On topic, here's a fun article about X-Men's First Class Degree in History (or not):
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jun/16/reel-history-x-men-first-class

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I've finally been to see the film. now that I'll be able to see it in a rather quiter cinema. I had managed to avoid reading most reviews so I went in reasonable open minded. Overall I think I would give it a B- .

It was certainly more entertaining than X3, but i felt it dragged a little at some points. It could have perhaps been 15mins or so shorter. which might have tightened it up a bit. though hopefully it'll make enough to warrent a sequel.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Ironically, Craig's Bond is the one where they imply that "James Bond/007" is just a cover identity for a certain type of agent. Old Bond died or retired, and new Bond was recruited.

19. Guy Gardener

You've seen 13 days?

You want to talk about making 13 days drag out into three weeks?

20. KB24

^^^^Well it is always nice to be popular! I've always been here, just don't post unless I really have something to say. My husband has newly gotten into Trekdom, but I find there isn't a lot of conversation about some of the things he is asking on the main board. Speaking of 13 Days, he recently tried JFK and couldn't make it into the film at all. Some films are woeful draggers!

With Bond yes, I tend to take the Tracy references as some of the tying continuity. In CR, M doesn't know if she likes Bond or not, as compared yes to his dinosaur ways in Goldeneye. I just watched that today, shocker.

I didn't think First Class dragged in time, but rather it dragged in some of those scenes with the lesser mutants. I would have enjoyed more time in fact if it were placed with the core or primary cast or villains. Some of what was in the trailers and clips was not in the film, and there was all that pseudo Inception psychic battle or something that was excised, so maybe we will see all sorts of Ultimate videos and directors cuts and such.

For those who didn't see my review, it is here:

http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com/2011/06/x-men-first-class.html

Man, I simply must drag the nieces to the theater tomorrow!