Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

^ You're one of the few who hasn't been enjoying Flash Thompson as Venom! It's Rick Remender as well! It's pacing has been touch and go at times, but I like Flash as the new host. It also sets up Flash learning of Peter's identity again...as has been teased in previous issues and other appearances.

Venom #13: The Circle of Four arc starts off with a bang. This was probably the most craziest issue of the book so far. As Captain Craig stated it features Ghost Rider (Lady Ghost Rider too I assume), Red Hulk, Venom, and X-23. Each have their own reasons for being in Vegas. One of the most interesting aspects that Remender has introduced in this book is the old concept that the Venom symbiont slowly corrupts it's host if they're a good person. The last time we really saw this was when it was first introduced and was starting to bond with Peter. Flash has been fighting it, trying to control, but his drinking and personal stress has started to take it's toll on him. General Ross of course is Red Hulk and been sent to bring back the symbiont that Thompson stole...errr borrowed a couple issues ago. There were some humorous moments in the issue. Especially between Flash and Thunderbolt! "I'm a General, you're a Corporal." being one of them. The art is fantastic in this book and perfect for the tone set.

Defenders #3: Yeah...I can see myself dropping this book, it's dropped off quite significantly from the first two issues. The little teaser adds at the end of the pages are quite annoying as well. The art is good as it always usually is from the Dodsons. I don't know. I might stick with this one more issue...or at least until the end of the arc.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ waaa? you didn't like the 'Hey there's a tiger driving the spaceship!' bit?

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I read Defenders #3 last night.

I'm in agreement with AdmiralYoung on this one. I really want to like this book but it's being stubborn. I need more Surfer. While he did have a role in this issue it felt I dunno, weak. He redirected the ship, thus preventing the goal of Prestor but Surfer can do so much more. I like Betty/She-Hulk and she's been the best thing in all 3 issues imo. Now I may have missed it somewhere but is this the first time we see her blood as being acidic ala Aliens? Also, is Ross/Red Hulk's the same then?
    When they entered the other dimension it was interesting to see Strange back into this costume from I think it was The Order book.

At the rate Marvel treats new books it'll be cancelled inside a year so I may as well read it till then.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

While I like the idea of Flash becoming military agent Venom, I don't think it warrants its own series. Better as a supporting character in the main book.

5. Admiral_Young

^ You should read the book...it's been awesome so far for the most part. Defenders is written by Matt Fraction who is one of the Marvel Architects so I highly doubt that the book will be cancelled any time soon.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I read the Spider-Island issues.... I read the first few but they weren't interesting me.

7. Admiral_Young

The Spider-Island issues really wouldn't give you a good idea of the actual book IMO. I'd start with the first arc of the book where you see Flash bonding with Venom and the dynamic and characters introduced. It's really surprised me with how good it is. I didn't expect that FLash would make a good host for Venom, but he's already one of my favourites.

8. Captain Craig

Bendis-->Architect-->Moon Knight=cancelled.

Just as an example cause the MK fan in me wanted to believe that despite the Captain Spiderine personalities that Bendis would pass the book off to someone and MK would get another modest run. Issue #12 will be the last.

9. Admiral_Young

^ Touche my friend! I'd forgotten about Bendis writing Moon Knight...I was talking about Ghost Rider though specifically. I liked the Lady Ghost Rider character in the first part of the Circle of Four, working with Johnny. I'm not a HUGE GR fan like some but I do know a tiny bit about it. Oh speaking of Circle of Four, it was nice to see Mephsito as himself and not disguised or hidden as anyone ;)

10. Captain Craig

Alejandra, the female host of Ghost Rider, has been fun to follow. Sadly like the 90's "kill Ben" crowd or those type fans you can't watch if it isn't Mulder it seems too many GR fans just didn't give the book a chance. Had they stuck around they would've seen how integral Johnny as a secondary lead was being developed. At the end of issue #8 of GR it said Ghost Rider is back in March and pictured Alejandra so we'll see what happens with her stint as GR and Johnny in the role of mentor/father figure.

11. Admiral_Young

Speaking of Spider-Island...I got the hardcover Wed! The Spider Gift that kept on giving!!! In Slott We Trust! I can't wait for Ends of the Earth and Amazing 700 later this fall...

Axel Alonso and Dan Slott talk about Spidey's future...Morbius is back! For those not reading Amazing he was revealed during Spider-Island as being the inhabitant of Lab Number Six (the one next to Peter's) at Horizon.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36811

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

13. Admiral_Young

Yep. I love how Slott has at least explained the suits. The Big Time cloaked suit was for against Hobgoblin. The FF tease from SDCC 2010 eventually was revealed of course to be his Future Foundation costume. This new armour will be for the upcoming war against the Sinister Six which I can't wait for.

14. Captain Craig

^^^
    He needed it, they were running out of costumes for the Marvel Universe line.

15. Admiral_Young

Nah! That's just a bonus. I can't wait to get the Big Time Spidey figure and the FF Spidey figure! Especially the Big Time Spidey figure. I haven't been impressed by a superhero action figure in a long time but I got giddy for that when I saw a video for it last year at NYCC, and yeah I do realize these are just toy gimmicky things but I still give Slott and Hickman credit for giving legit story uses for the suits.

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So, uh...what's going on in Marvel these days? I haven't read anything regularly since around Secret Invasion. Got kinda tired of the endless crossovers and big events. I don't even know what the good books are any more. Would I be terribly confused if I tried picking up an issue of one of the Avengers books, or an X Book?

17. Admiral_Young

^ There was a Schism between Logan and Scott. Scott is still with Utopia, while Logan and Kitty are Co-Headmaster and Headmistress of the Jean Grey School Of Higher Learning which is basically the rebuilt Westchester School. Wolverine and the X-Men is the better of the two books. Uncanny X-Men relaunched and is Scott's book. Spider-Man is awesome again thanks to Dan Slott who seems to have the freedom to tell his own stories and not be interfered with from editorial. The Fantastic Four is fantastic thanks to the amazing Jonathan Hickman. Mark Waid is writing an amazing Daredevil.

The Avengers are fighting Norman Osborn again, then Ultron and are preparing to face the X-Men in the big summer event with the Phoenix entity returning as the catalyst. Cable has returned and been attacking Avengers in an irrelevantly bad written book by Jeph Loeb. Namor is an X-Men and Defender. Steve Rogers is Captain America again, Bucky is back as Winter Solider and doing black ops with Black Widow. Greg Ruka is writing Punisher, and Jason Aaron who writes Wolverine and the X-Men is writing the Incredible Hulk and has separated Banner and the Hulk and has been really interesting so far.

18. OdoWanKenobi

Bah, never liked Cable all that much anyways.

Well now that I've had a crash course on the last few years, maybe I'll start picking some Marvel books up again. I've been out of the 'verse too long and was really starting to miss some of those guys.

19. Admiral_Young

^ To answer your question would you be confused if you picked up a random book now...probably maybe is my answer. You should be fine though and can always go back and get the trades of most of what I typed. I just did a really brief synopsis on what I'm reading now :)

20. OdoWanKenobi

Of course, there's always Wikipedia, too.