Trip & T'Pol: The Good That They Do

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Captain X, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boushh

boushh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they were trying to go for something poignant with TATV and sort of failed for a lot of people. As far as I was concerned there were still a lot of obvious feelings between T/T in that last episode, and I think it was supposed to be kind of a tragic ending for Trip and for them. Unfortunately, the circumstances of Trip's death were kind of dumb and the execution of the episode wasn't very good, IMHO. There are TATV threads at the rest of the board right if you want to talk about it in general.

I think Reanok mentioned the books that are being released that will be continuing the story sort of like an ENT season 5. You might want to check them out. Some people like them and some people don't, but they might be worth reading if you didn't like the finale. They sort of "fix" it. There is also a lot of fanfic around.

And yeah there are shipper squabbles too, but I doubt that had anything to do with what the writers chose to do. I think they thought they were writing a good story.

This thread is about T/T though, so it's probably best to keep the topic on them. ;)

2. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

I will I will keep it on topic T&T are what kept me glued to ENT. We did get some great ship moments in the series. I saw it right from the beginning with T&T. When they had that discussion whether she would leave or not.

3. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

welcome pound puppy..

do you have a fav tnt moment/.

as for trip and tpol and good that men do..
    for once i could understand the seperation. while what was going on was playing a little part in trip's decision the bigger part was the romulan threat. that he saw the romulans as a threat to all his loved ones and this was the only way to prevent this.

4. boushh

I have a question about "Home". I watched bits of it last week when it was airing on Scifi and I caught the first T/T scene. I remember way back when the episode first aired there were some that thought that Trip was hoping for an invite. I never really thought this was the case at the time, but this time around it kind of made me wonder at least. What is everyone's take on this one?

5. JohnV

JohnV Commander Red Shirt

Hello everyone! I haven't posted in a while. Just started reading some fanfic again and just got caught up with this thread.

I watched Home again last week and had the same reaction as the first time.

Trip is definitely fishing for an invitaion to Vulcan. Or, more precisely, to wherever T'Pol is going.

First he says that he wanted to stay on Enterprise but Archer practically ordered him off the ship. But, poor Trip, he doesn't have anywhere to go. Folks have moved to Mississippi, but that isn't really home. Sure, Trip, you just saved the planet and haven't seen the folks in a year, so Mississippi is out of the question. Not unless T'Pol comes along, that is.

So he gets the invite.

Then when he leaves her quarters, he has a real Mission Accomplished smile on his face.

Looks like he got just what he wanted.

I watched the two Vulcan Arc episodes they had on last night. I thought they stood up to rewatching better than most.

6. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I always thought he was looking for an invite... he wanted to hang out with her and let's not forget what T'Pol said in "Unexpected" about meeting the parents... ;)

7. tennisgirl

tennisgirl Captain Captain

Yeah, I think he was looking for an invitation as well. The way he phrased what he said and the look and smile on his face as he left give me that impression. I think that later he was testing the waters to see how T'Pol felt about spending their leave together. When he asked her what she had told her mother, I felt like he wanted to know how deep T'Pol was into "them". And well, T'Pol seemed pretty set on convincing him to go with her. :)

8. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

one almost wonders if jon was hoping tpol would ask trip.
    evidently tpol and jon had been talking about trip..
    and i thought about the whole parents thing.
    they have been back to earth for awhile possibly a month. so trip may have seen his family, and it is possible at this time they hadnt moved to mississipi yet or were totally settled in .

this may not make sense.. but i think he hoped for an invitation but wasnt fishing for one.

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Trip did visit his parents in Mississipi and and he was feeling Melancoly about that visit it wasn't home to him he was thinking about Florida. When he hinted to T'Pol about Archer ordering him to take shoreleave I think he was hinting he wanted to spend time with T'Pol on Vulcan. It makes sense with that when they had that Conversation in Cold Station 12 she asks how his parents were doing and he says they're fine and getting used to living in Mississippi.The fact that T'Pol talked to Archer about Trip shows they were concerned about him so T'Pol invited to come to Vulcan to see an alien world she wanted to spend time alone with him.

10. boushh

Welcome back JohnV. :)

That's what got me thinking. It really can be interpreted that way. Of course it could also just be excitement at the idea and what it might mean for them on a personal level.

I don't know if he was quite fishing for the invite though... hoping maybe, but trying to get it out of her... I'm not so sure. I think he was genuinely feeling the blues about his home and perhaps because she was heading home and away from him. How could he not hope that she'd invite him along? Even if he did hope though, I wonder if he thought the odds were slim that she would actually invite him.

Either way, that expression of his at the end of that scene is definitely a "Yes!" moment if I ever saw one. :)

To those that were talking about meeting the parents...

One thing I liked about the book was how his parents figured in a bit and that T'Pol got to meet them briefly.

11. Reanok

When it comes to talking about Trip's parents Boushh I agree
    I was really glad that T'Pol got to meet them and we got to see them talking about Trip after they meet with Archer & T'Pol after receiving Trip's belongings.I'd like to see Trip's parents in other future relaunch books.

12. tothebridge

tothebridge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, he definitely seems pleased.
    [​IMG]

And I agree with much of that interpretation. I didn’t think Trip was angling for a specific invite to Vulcan – I doubt he would’ve expected T’Pol to take such a big step especially on short notice. But I did think he was feeling lonely and maybe he was hoping that she would find some way to spend some of her time off with him – maybe shortening her trip to Vulcan and/or agreeing to go someplace with him when she returned. I think the invite was more than he expected, which is why he seemed so pleased at the end.

Sorry I’m still catching up but wanted to respond to a few earlier comments….

That was my impression as well. In S1 especially, it seemed the writers were testing different combinations together (e.g., Trip/Hoshi, Trip/Malcolm) to see who clicked whether as buddies or something different. And Trip/T’Pol actually had quite a bit of interaction in the first part of S1 – they were paired up on away missions, had confrontations, and even moments of understanding (SNW, BTI) which seemed to be advancing the relationship.

During the latter part of S1 and first part of S2, there was still some interaction but it seemed like there was less than before -- until the writers picked up again on certain elements like the movie invite and teasing about age later in S2.

So, to me it didn’t seem that the S3 T/T interaction came totally “out of the blue” because there were elements in seasons 1 & 2 to build on….But because their interaction in S2 had been more low key and sporadic (imo), the shift to more overt and consistent interaction in S3 (via the neuropressure and problem-solving) stands out more and possibly seems a bit abrupt to some.

Yeah, I thought the TATV ending was supposed to be poignant and tragic, sort of in keeping with the Romeo and Juliet theme that seemed to have emerged in S4. (I also thought it was probably convenient for the writers to have that ending, especially if they were working with an outline and certain scenes that had been developed the previous season when T/T were still sorting things out.) Anyway, it did miss the mark for a lot of reasons – although I do like parts of the shuttlepod scene and the one where T’Pol is packing Trip’s things because as you indicated, the feelings still seem to be there.

And speaking of Romeo and Juliet, I do have caps for what is one of my favorite (although angsty) scenes. Here’s the first part with more to come later.

T’Pol and Trip are working together again, but T’Pol realizes that they dynamic between them has changed (contrast this scene with the movie night one in “Impulse”) and searches for a way to engage a stoic, all-business Trip -- moving close to him and turning to face him.
    [​IMG]

She looks directly at Trip, but he remains unchanged.
    [​IMG]

T’Pol realizes this isn’t working, so time to try a different approach.
    [​IMG]

13. tothebridge

Part II of the T/T Romeo & Juliet scene from "The Augments."

If at first you don't succeed....

T'Pol moves to a new position and inquires about a topic near and dear to Trip's heart -- his parents. Trip gives her a brief update and says "Why do you ask?"
    [​IMG]

Now T'Pol has the opening she wants. She says that Trip hasn't mentioned his parents recently and that he’s said very little since she returned from Vulcan.
    [​IMG]

T’Pol has moved to a new position (closer so she is within his range of vision again)….Trip says there hasn’t been much time to catch up, but T’Pol says that he also hasn’t joined them at the Captain’s table since they left Earth. And after Trip asks what she is trying to say, she finally puts the issue on the table -- that Trip has been avoiding her.
    [​IMG]

Trip has his back to her again and admits that maybe he has (been avoiding her), but it’s a little awkward now with her being married.
    [​IMG]

Trip moves away from T’Pol again – still keeping his back to her – and says he knows T’Pol married Koss to help her mother, but it’ll take him a little time to adjust.
    [​IMG]

T’Pol says she is still trying to adjust as well.
    [​IMG]

Trip turns to look at T’Pol and
    [​IMG]

perhaps he sees something in her face
    [​IMG]

that makes him reconsider and open up a bit more.
    [​IMG]

Trip says that as hard as it was to see T’Pol marry Koss, he was proud of T’Pol for doing what she did.
    [​IMG]

T’Pol’s reaction.
    [​IMG]

Angsty but nicely done and still one more part to go.

14. vero3110

vero3110 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the pictures. I really liked this scene, but at the same time it was so sad to see them "apart".
    It must have been hard for T'Pol considering that it was her reaching out to get closer to Trip and him being "aloof" to say the least. Almost reversed roles in their usual interactions.

Vero

15. tothebridge

^^Yeah, it really was a reversal of sorts -- with Trip being the one to pull away, instead of T'Pol. And it must've been especially confusing to her considering how Trip had stayed and supported her through the wedding.

And after the initial cold shoulder, Trip did try to let T'Pol know he understood -- telling her he knew she married Koss because of her mother and that he was proud of her. But then he had to go and follow it up with that Romeo and Juliet speech....

Trip says it's probably for the best as he walks over to the opposite display.
    [​IMG]

They're facing in opposite directions now and not looking at each other. And T'Pol's voice seems to quaver and her eyes close briefly as she asks, "What do you mean?"
    [​IMG]

As they face each other, Trip says it's not like they would've made an ideal couple
    [​IMG]

T'Pol's reaction
    [​IMG]

Trip goes on to say that Romeo and Juliet probably stood a better chance.
    [​IMG]

Now they are back to where they started -- both staring at the screen and the new anomaly
    [​IMG]

And as they wait to hear Archer's comments after notifying him of the anomaly, they both seem lost in thought.... :(
    [​IMG]

A sad scene, well-played, and I guess it sort of sets the stage for what comes afterwards during the season.

16. tennisgirl

tennisgirl Captain Captain

This particular cap is my favorite of the scene. The whole conversation has a rather sad tone to it, but T'Pol's face as it sinks in is priceless...

17. boushh

That scene is just heartbreaking, but wonderful, IMHO. It just tugs at your heart... The actors really sold it, but the blocking of the scene and the lighting add to the sad tone of it as well. Great stuff, even if it's sad.

18. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Even the way T'Pol looks in The Augments is so severe, as if she's been deprived... emotionally starved. She's trapped in a marriage she doesn't want, Trip's been avoiding her, and she's been feeling lost, adrift, alone.

:(

Seeing the way she looks just a few episodes later in Daedalus (who knows how long it's been timewise, because we don't really know when Daedalus and OE took place) is quite a contrast:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She still hasn't figured everything out yet (too bad), but at least, for the moment, she's not alone, and Trip isn't running away anymore. (Um, yet. Uh, again. Whatever.)

19. kalysto

kalysto Captain Captain

Those are some beautiful caps. It's amazing how short some of these scenes are, but so much seems to be crammed into them. Really is a credit to the actors.

You know, I had never really thought of it like that. She really does seem run-down and I had attributed it to Jolene losing weight or something dumb. Perhaps it's the Trip sympathizer in me, but that comment and a passage in TGTMD made me see T'Pol's side for once.

Even though I did feel for her, I was always :scream: because she would only realize things when it was too late, or at least decide to act on them anyway. I know that's the point of angst and such, but I would of liked to see something deeper than the 'hot and cold' routine it seemed at times. Don't get me wrong though, TnT are certainly the most interesting ship to come out of Trek in, well, ever.

20. Reanok

When it came to T'Pol being trapped in a marriage she never wanted she was trapped alone and missing Trip terribly he was the person she trusted the most her best friend she missed desperately. Look how nervous she was in tht scene tapping the pad in her hands uneasy when she asked about his parents and wanting know why he was avoiding her. Daedalus it they got along better .I also wanted to post a link to an Andy Mangels interview http://www.digitalbits.com/articles/interviews/andymangels/060407.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.