Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't really see a resemblance to Tom Welling. I do see quite a resemblance to Mathew Bomer, though

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah to me the "Batman killing" thing gets blown way out of proportion on that movie. It's not like he's gunning people down left and right or anything.

A couple people fall to their deaths (like the guy in the bell tower), or a factory blows up, but the style of the movie is so heightened and comic booky that I have a hard time taking it all that seriously.

Even when he stuffs the bomb in that guy's pants in Returns, it's played more for laughs than anything.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I can see how some may see a slight resemblance. I mean they're both beefy looking guys with black hair, so...

But Welling has a far rounder face with more "boyish" looks than this dude does.

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So are you saying Cavill is Bizarro-Welling?

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's face it: Producers tend to cast actors who look at least a bit like Superman to play Superman. So they're all going to look at little alike.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Correctamundo. Well, unless you're casting Nic Cage!

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The comparisons are spreading
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Tom Welling is Nick Fury!

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

They both have extremely prominent upper cheekbones (just below the orbit), and angular faces caused by a prominent jaw. They aren't doppelgangers for one another, but there's definitely a resemblance.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still think Welling would have made a great big-screen Supes. I think BK gave him his unfair due on Smallville.

No he wasn't the greatest as teen Kent, but his pseudo-Supes actually (in its own very limited way) worked well.

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

All-in-All I would not have been unhappy with Welling as Superman. My only quibble is that he has a bit of a baby face but that's my only complain.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, here is a short version of why Batman doesn't carry a gun anymore from Brian Cronin's great column, Comic Book Legends Revealed. Apparently it was an editorial mandate. Refer to the first Legend in the column, the one about the Worlds Fair.

I'm pretty sure that there is a longer version of the story in Cronin's equally great book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I never had a problem with Welling himself. If the storytelling on Smallville had been a lot better, I would have been all FOR seeing him continue on as Superman in the movies.

But there's no way in hell I want to see... whatever that was... continue on as a story.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It was best to start over with a new actor for Superman.

Putting Welling as Superman in a movie would have been too confusing for some people. It wasn't like Smallville was some monster hit on tv. It got around 3 million a week which is high for the CW but those are cancelation numbers on any other network.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

How would it be confusing to people? Are you assuming that if they used Welling as Superman that people would think it was a "Smallville" movie?

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. I don't think a Smallville movie would have done that well anyway. Like I said, it wasn't watched by many people.

TNG was huge on tv back then, but the movies only did okay. The Trek franchise needed a reboot like Star Trek XI to take off.

18. Admiral_Young

^ You do realize that people were just comparing the actors and commenting that Cavil and Welling resemble each other a bit? I'm not really sure why "Smallville" or a "Smallville" movie factors into the discussion. I very seriously doubt that such a movie was even remotely considered. I know that it was rumored online and by fans.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

A few people in earlier posts stated that they wanted or didn't want him in the role for the movie.

We never actually got a good indication of what Welling would have been like as Superman. Sure he was Clark Kent for ten seasons and when he put on the Superman suit he didn't actually do actually except save a few people. He didn't even talk to other people while in the suit like all the previous Superman actors have.

I thought people will deal with the new actor for Superman. We have had multiple actors for Batman over the years and the movies have successful for the most part. If they chose a bad actor then they can just get a new one in a few years.

20. Admiral_Young

I think the general consensus at least in this thread is that folks like Henry Cavil as both Clark Kent and Superman so far.