Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

You know, you can still rent a lot of the props that the production team rented for TWOK (seen around Engineering and Regula 1, mainly, and many early episodes of TNG) from a place called Modern Props. Look it up.

2. Madkoifish

Madkoifish Commander Red Shirt

Some really cool stuff. Loving the TOS work especially the lighting. It catches the memory and mood.

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Oh, I've been a big fan of Modern Props ever since I saw it linked from an article about reused props over on Ex Astris Scientia. Browsing through their site, it's really cool to see their props turn up time and again on various shows I'm a fan of, including TNG, Knight Rider, and Firefly.

4. Donny

Also, there's a ton of the props in The Last Starfighter (many of which were used in The Wrath of Khan). I recently saw the film for the first time, and was excited because I realized I had new reference material for making those props for this project.

Here's a small update. Got the main viewing screen completed:
    [​IMG]

Now all that's left as far as the architecture for the outer bridge module walls is the weapons console, and I can start on some cool viewing screens and the center con.

5. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looks nice so far! Can't really critique this yet though, most looks spot on enough for me. Btw do you have any tips that have got you through modeling these interiors? I might want to try it out.

EDIT: Just noticed the floor textures... they're not lining up... I can see the seems. Can you post the Uv's for the floor?

6. Donny

There are supposed to be seams. The bridge was constructed in a way that each "pie slice" could be pulled out completely if needed, including the floor segments. This is why there are seams across the floor at each 30 degree interval.

Right now, the ribbed flooring lines up with each 30 degree segment. I haven't adjusted the UVs just yet so that all the ribbing flows in one direction. Just temporary.

7. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Okie-Dokies than, didn't know you could do that in UE4. That must be handy.

8. Donny

....the most awkward looking console ever....
    [​IMG]

9. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but can't you just smell Chekov's burning flesh?

10. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, the beginnings of the "all consoles face forward" design philosophy...

11. cardinal biggles

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Come to think of it - where the hell IS that supposed to be located, anyway? I don't recognize the shapes around it. Next to the non-existent yellow alert console, maybe? :lol:

13. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it doesn't. It faces off at an angle. Maybe it's so the officer doesn't have his or her back to the Captain?

14. cardinal biggles

My guess would be under the edge of the weapons console, where the officer's right leg would be. Unfortunately we never get a good enough look at the station to see if it was actually built on, or if it was an insert shot made in post-production (the latter is more likely).

15. Donny

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Oh yeah, there it is! Man, those hi-def screen caps from BluRay are awesome!

17. Donny

Getting around to building some of the viewing screens in photoshop:

[​IMG]

Here, you see I'm trying to match color as close as possible to how the screens looked in TWOK:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because view-screen content and color varied from TMP, to TWOK, to TSFS, and to the bridges seen in TVH, it's tempting to try to make some of the view-screens contain an amalgamation of the different versions. But, however, because this project is decidedly TWOK in nature, I've decided to stick to replicating the view-screens to how they were seen exactly in TWOK. This includes how they are animated as well. I don't want to add any extra "flashiness" to them to make them seem any more modern than mid-budget early-80s displays.

Once I get more view-screens completed, I'll try and upload a video so you can see some of the animation effects.

NOTE: You'll notice the circular view-screens are incomplete so far. Since in the movies, these circular screens actually contained television monitors, their animation will be much more complex. I'm saving those screens for later.

18. cardinal biggles

This is excellent. What are you using as the basis for the displays you're making in Photoshop?

19. Donny

Mostly, the Phase II "Enterprise Flight Manual" (view it here: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/efm.php). Many of the displays and console panels survived the transition from Phase II to TMP, so it's an invaluable resource. I'll use those in a base layer in photoshop and build on top of that. I'll also add screen grabs of certain displays and lay them over as well, especially if they differ from the displays seen in the flight manual.

I have HD video files of TMP and TWOK, so I'll play them in slow motion and take as many screen grabs as needed so I can replicate certain blink and glow patters, as well. Having two monitors helps when I'm making this project. Always having reference material open on my second monitor is a HUGE help.

20. cardinal biggles

Oh, yes, I have a slightly modified version of that someone was selling on eBay a number of years back. I especially loved finding out that the stations actually had practical buttons that would activate various displays when the actors worked them. It's this kind of attention to detail that made the TMP/TWOK/TSFS bridge my favorite.