Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Kate Bosworth looks way better with blonde hair and more mature. IMO. So Yeah. :bolian:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
  2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the photo of Noelle Neill accompanying that article is accurate, her color in the original serial was rather close to Adams's.

I think there was a period of time early in the Byrne run when Lois did wear her hair in a different color - I don't remember for sure.

Oh, here's a cute article:

http://www.ifanboy.com/content/articles/Lois_Lane_s_Hair_is_Very_Troubling_

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lois had her hair short during the Bryne run at times, right before Clark told her he was Superman and asked him to marry her. Don't know about it being another color though.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Byrne's Lois had auburn hair. (most of the time)

[​IMG]

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Another thing idiots who have a problem with Adams' hair color also have a problem with her age. She is 36. Henry Cavill is 27. I am not seeing the problem. :lol:

6. Admiral_Young

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I hope they don't change Amy's hair color. Having a red headed Lois is just fine.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Just found out about Amy Adams' casting. I like her, but she doesn't strike me as an ideal choice.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one who doesn't care about this?

It's just going to end up at WB one way or the other. I don't seriously think Superman stops or goes somewhere else. WB has the machine in place to produce Superman for $$$$$. The heirs have no choice but to license him back over and I seriously don't think anyother company has the $$$ or balls to attempt to outbid WB for the property. Either due to lack of $$$ or respect.

Haven't the heirs been compensated before anyway? Not sure I have any sympathy for them anyway.

10. Admiral_Young

^ I don't care about it either really but is of note...

11. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I'm really disappointed by all the people in this thread who are calling others "morons" for being uncomfortable with the age and hair colour of the actress playing Lois Lane as well as those supporting such comments.

I wouldn't condemn the casting simply because of age and hair colour (as I said, I think Amy's screen presence/persona and talent make her a good choice), but there's nothing wrong with saying she seems like an odd choice based on a discrepancy between her traits and those we're used to seeing in the character.

I don't read comic books, so the interpretations of the character I'm most familiar with are those in the '90s Superman animated series and the movies "Superman" and "Superman II". Of course, I've also seen many pictures of her from comic books and of Teri Hatcher in the role.

In all of those instances, she was similar in age to Superman and had black hair, so of course seeing her cast as a redhead who is older than the guy playing Superman is a little jarring and seems less than ideal, at least on a superficial level.

Wanting to see the character rendered similarly to how she was in previous incarnation does not make people 'morons'. Come on, saying so is just obnoxious.

12. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I couldn't give a shit what colour her hair is, as long as she can do a better job with the character than Bosworth did. She was woefully miscast, and was outshone by Routh, and especially Marsden, in every scene they shared.

To be honest, the only role I've ever seen Adams in was when she played freak-of-the-week in Smallville's first season, so I'm not exactly blown away by this news, but I figure it's unfair to judge her on that alone, so I'll just wait and see. I mean, I can't see her being any worse than Bosworth.

13. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watching her in The Fighter and Night at the Museum she seems like she has a lot of moxy that personifies Lois. I commend the casting crew for somewhat thinking outside of the box on these characters.

You have:
    Henry Cavill for Clark/Superman, Amy Adams for Lois, Kevin Costner for Jonathan Kent and Diane Lane for Martha Kent. Still speculation at this point but we could be seeing Michael Shannon, Edgar Ramirez or possibly Viggo Mortenson as well. It's been pretty stellar thus far.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I care a great deal.

Also, to me, it seems consistent with the OP to be kept updated about the legal situation, and to discuss it.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Ok...maybe they are not morons...but these type of complaints are ridiculous and have nothing to do with how the actress will portray the character. Using her hair color, her age, complaints about other physical details are just ridiculous. I think there is something very wrong with it.

[edit] It is one thing to have a an opinion but another to needlessly nit pick her appearance.

16. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, age is a very valid consideration. The two leads of the last movie looked like they were putting on a junior high production -- especially the "Lois".

17. Admiral_Young

Yes but in the case of Amy she's 26 or thereabouts and looks like she could play Lois either as in her 30's or her 20's. Kate Bosworth was younger than that and was supposed to be playing Lois in her 30's and being a mom as well. That's the difference.

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Actually Amy is 36 and looks like she can play much younger. Kate was 22/23 and was playing a mom in her 30's. But that is irrelevant for me because Kate's age and appearance had nothing to do with my problems with SR.

I still enjoy SR...but the movie was lacking in several areas that had nothing to do with casting...mainly the story was bland, it lacked action and the whole plot was tiresome.

19. Admiral_Young

^ That's for the correction and that mistake should prove my point about age not really mattering in the context of what we're debating about lol.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think no matter who got cast as Lois they would get a ton of criticism and most of it superficial and unfair.

I didn't pay attention to the lead up to SR but even now years after people criticize how Routh looks, his age and a bunch of other things that make no sense to me.