provider for new Trek series as original series download

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Sep 14, 2009.

?

Which vendor would you be willing to pay for a new Star Trek series?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2009.
  1. iTunes store

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. YouTube [paid content]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BLOCKBUSTER OnDemand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Roxio Cinemanow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. XBOX Live Network

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Netflix Instant HD Video on Demand service

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. Vudu HD On-demand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sony Playstation Network

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Panasonic VIERA CAST streaming video

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Amazon's Instant HD Video on Demand service

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

After creating the poll about what television channel should a new Trek small screen series be on I thought about this since we have new types of distribution now.

This Spring I mentioned the idea of serializing shorter small screen episodes so as to not just be 43 minutes like an episode of Trek TV series. Yesterday I posted about the alternative distribution available as downloads.

I've heard of two already:
    Sony will have an 8-episode original programming series available this Winter exclusively on the Playstation Network
    September 4, 2009 source

Sept. 2009 source

and this other one on XBOX Live
    Mar 23, 2009 source

Now I was surprised by the most people (as of Sept. 13) voting for a new Trek series to be on a premium subscription cable TV channel, Showtime.

Would a serialized 15-45 minute length episode Trek series be possible on the Sony Playstation Network via PlayStation Store or on XBOX Live Network or any of the other 8 vendors? Would you be willing to pay for it during its first run if it were not going to be broadcast with advertisements?
    How many of those vendors would Paramount/CBS Television have to have a contract with for it to be successful exclusively as a paid download and not on advertising supported TV?

The genre-specific content of the above two examples aside
    If you would you be willing to see an original new Star Trek series on the small screen exclusive with a paid season-pass subscription or by paying for each episode from which vendor if it were not broadcast on television or cable television?
    [Assuming in the future all of the options offer 1080p HD video.]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd just rent the DVD from Netflix. Paramount/CBS would never do this, though. Paid downloads/DVDs plus DVD rentals can't fund the production of a decent looking series and after Paramount spent hundreds of millions to buff up the Star Trek brand back to "premium" status, they aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot with a direct-to-DVD/download release that undermines their expensive brand-building efforts. Direct to DVD/downlad is for Asylum crap or stuff like you cited whose brand nobody has invested a penny in, and nobody expects ever to fill a premium brand slot.

There's a reason Mercedes doesn't make crappy cars for the low-end market, even though there's money to be made, or if they did, they sure wouldn't slap the Mercedes brand on it. Everyone has to start thinking of Star Trek as a product like toothpaste, dog food or cars. That's the way the people in control of its destiny view it.

If you want a low-end car, don't go into a Mercedes dealership. If you want direct-to-DVD crap, don't expect for Star Trek.

3. jefferiestubes8

I understand your take on this totally.
    Programmed television will be around for a long time. Star Trek started on it and it has the potential to reach the largest audience for 'free' (17 minutes of sponsored advertising per episode in the USA).
    Once any future Trek series it has it's initial TV run syndication will happen and also Blu-ray/1080p HD digital download/DVD will be available for purchase or rental.

4. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

JeffriesTube, with your fetish for video technology buzzwords you should understand that the quality offered by all those services is awfull. They may claim HD, they may even claim 1080p, but the video is compressed so much that calling it HD is worthless. It may look better than non-HD streaming, but it still can't even compete with DVD.

When everyone has fios and can handle high quality streams, you may be able to convince me of an online streaming option. Until that day, the only thing I'd consider is a DVD/Blu-Ray subscription. And as Temis said, direct to dvd is for 3rd tier properties. As long as there is money to be made on TV or movies Star Trek will never go direct to dvd.

5. jefferiestubes8

This is 2009.
    Most agree on TrekBBS that we will not see a live-action Trek series until 2012 or 2013 after Trek XIII is released. 4 years is a long time in the Internet world and technology changes. I am looking down the road to an actual time period a Trek series will be out and it may be on television.

6. jefferiestubes8

For streamed digital content to reach core audience

This article brings it to the point of this thread.

Science Fiction is mostly a male audience. Everyone knows it.
    That whole Defying Gravity show was an anomoly with ABC marketing it as "Grey's Anatomy in Space" in the US market.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That should totally be a Star Trek themed YouTube.

8. jefferiestubes8

This is what I was getting at.
    Youtube has not offered paid content yet.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=3530089&postcount=74

Itunes has not offered a subscription, yet. Until mention of it today:

Apple’s iTunes Pitch: TV for $30 a Month

9. jefferiestubes8

Comcast cable On-Demand - every TOS ep. & all Trek films in HD

16 December 2009
    via
    http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=4b2992d522c07&topBrowse=all

I just checked and TOS's The Cage is not available to play. But 78 full length videos are.
    The TOS page at fancast.com.

10. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Comcast cable On-Demand - every TOS ep. & all Trek films in HD

I haven't followed all your links so forgive me if it's covered somewhere:

Whichever will allow subscriptions from people outside the US (big bonus if it will work under linux): I know we're a minority but it'd still mean extra dollars, tying it to local terrestrial networks is way outdated.

11. Yug

Yug Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Give it a few years (or months), this technology doesn't stop improving, it only gets better. That's why we need to replace our computer systems and networks every two years or less...

I think it's funny that all these new technological worlds are opening up, but no one will believe it will ever be good for anything, y'know like televison in the fifties "it's a fad" they said. Same with computers in the sixties, "there so big !! and TOO expensive !!". Same with the internet, "no one's gonna us that"... Same with DVD's, so much resistance, even Quentin Tarantino hated the format...all actual conversations happening all thru hisory about every new technology. It's all about potential.

Someone has to be the first, and maybe it requires a brand like Trek to do it... wake up and smell the future.

12. jefferiestubes8

Common File Format - THE standard format for digital delivery

Not just for movies, this will become ubiquitous just like the cinemas now have a standard delivery format for digital project movies - DCI Digital Cinema Systems' audio & video & file format spcs for a DCDM = Digital Cinema Distribution Master

this is going to be coming for sure with any new Trek TV series now that there is a agreed standard.

1/4/2010
    http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6713532.html

Standards are a good thing for things to move forward. After all look how consumer HD stalled with the HD-DVD & Blu-ray physical media format war. Once a "standard" [Blu-ray] was decided upon things moved forward in starting from February of 2008.
    And most people will agree that digital downloads and VOD is the way of the future. It will change broadcast & cable TV and it will affect how the next Trek series's episodes will get to people.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  13. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

Didn't Sanctuary start out as a pay for download web series, then get picked up by SyFy after it's first season?

14. jefferiestubes8

Sanctuary TV series

Yes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_(TV_series)

Actually I've never seen the show so you mentioning how this show took off really is interesting. In case you were wondering the DVD for season 1 has the original 4 webisodes as a special feature along with audio commentaries on all 13 season 1 episodes.

4-disc DVD season 1 set released September 15, 2009.
    http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2009/08/20/sanctuary-season-one-coming-to-dvd/

One of the reasons I started this thread is that with the television landscape changing I think the next Trek series will actually be on television but also digital downloads will be available the same week as the first run episodes from a number of sources.
    Star Trek is not that small of a brand to just be sold direct-to-consumer. It will have a television channel home in the USA but as with most shows being downloaded or streamed and watched within 3 days (or within 7 days) of the original broadcast date many people will watch a new Trek episode but just not in the traditional way.

15. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

It's interesting that they only included the first 4 on the DVD, since the original web run was 8 episodes.

16. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think this series is a good indication that straight digital will not last. The show was started as a cheap online webisode. Then SyFy decided it wanted more money and made a real TV series out of it. After that experience, why would you think they will make another web series instead of going straight to TV. And Star Trek is starting with a much larger mainstream audience than a SyFy original series.

17. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

While the Sanctuary web series was written and produced by the people behind Stargate (hence Amanda Tapping's original involvement) I'm not certain SyFy had anything to do with it's original web run.

I'm of the impression that they didn't sign on until the series was already getting a positive buzz from the web.

Anybody have any links to whether or not that was the case?

EDIT:
    According to an interview with Amanda Tapping, they never had any thoughts about the show ever being on TV. Although, she admits that they didn't really make any money from the initial 8 webisodes due to pirating.

She said they still envision returning to the web at some point with original content, though.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  18. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

A side note on this is that Sanctuary shows how a show can be heavy on special effects and still be cost effective.

It costs less than half (per minute) to produce an episode of Sanctuary than the average TV sitcom. According to SyFy, it costs about half as much to produce an episode of Sanctuary as it does Eureka.

Something to consider with respect to the other thread about doing TNG era programming for DVD and whether or not it could be profitable.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes but it looks like ass - who wants to watch a Star Trek show that looks like it was made for next to nothing, we already have fan fiction shows for people who like that sort of thing.

20. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

Well, first of all, it hardly "looks like ass." There's absolutely nothing wrong with the visuals for Sanctuary. They are as good as anything that has been in a Trek series over the last decade. And, probably as good as anything Paramount would put into a Trek series any time soon. From what I read about the series, most of what you are probably complaining about is intentional. They were supposedly going for a Van Helsing/300 sort of feel. I think they fairly well achieved it.

But, to answer your question, I'd watch a series done with five year olds with sock puppets if it was better written than that last movie was.