Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

Maybe because it's just black "unused" screen?

2. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Here is another screen shot that closely matches the camera's angle on the Enterprise. You see even less of the engine in this shot, but you still see the blue glow.

Screenshot

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If you use the 'zoom' function the top and bottom of the picture will be cut off as well. If you use the 'stretch' function, the picture will be distorted.

4. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I was hoping I would not notice all the errors you guys have been pointing out but they are everywhere:sigh:

5. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

It's not "unused". It really is unused.
    There is no information there; it's the same issue you had with 16:9 or wider aspect ratios on the old 4:3 TV-screens.

You can only fill your screen by either losing actual picture information on the top and bottom ends or by stretching the picture. Neither will improve the picture quality.

6. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks. This one is really, really getting on my nerves. The Universal BD Monsters and Hitchcock sets have the same issue.

7. Reeborg

Is there a strech function? I have not found such a function on my BD-player or HD-TV. I have a "user zoom" that basically does a strech but only in the Y (vertical) direction. I can't change the width of the image with it. :confused:

If I could do such a horizontal stretch, I really would use it, even obtaining a distorded image.

8. Reeborg

US-Americans have to be (regularly) reminded that the world is a little bigger than the one they know, and English is not the one and only existing communication form. ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Yes, but it's possible for the selection to be 'remembered'. That's what they're annoyed with.

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Every time someone asks how to get rid of the black bars, somewhere a videophile drops dead.

The language selection at boot-up is annoying. But think of the alternative. If these used BD-Java, it would be able to save the information, but the load times would be much longer, the discs would be loaded with bloat, and you wouldn't be able to stop and resume like a DVD. I'll take the good with the bad.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

They're not in every episode, but yeah, they are pretty apparent when they're there.

I just watched "Unnatural Selection", and that's another one where the ships look like cut-outs on the screen, and the starfield has no depth whatsoever.

Which is a shame, because there's some pretty cool shots in that episode of the shuttlecraft leaving the Enterprise, and of the Enterprise through the shuttle's windows.

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

If you must fill the whole screen, I recommend getting a media player and ripping the episodes to an HDD. An acceptable, OK-ish solution is to use the players zoom function and then pan down by about 25%. This largely eliminates "cut off head" syndrome and is much better than straight zoom. It's not without its drawbacks though - particularly when an important prop or whatever is on screen towards the lower half of the image.

Really, you should just stick to the OAR.

13. Doug Otte

You've put your foot in it again, Reeborg. I bought those BD sets from the UK, and I'm not a jingoistic xenophobic Yank.

Thanks to NewHorizon for stepping up and explaining the actual issue.

14. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Easy with the angry slurs there, Ott. In fact, I think you misread the remark. Don't stray too close to the flame.

15. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

To explain in a bit more detail, Blu-ray video consists of a 1920x1080 image, or a roughly 16:9 aspect ratio, which is ALWAYS presented in 16:9. The old DVD format had a 720 x 480 image that could be "flagged" as either 4:3 or 16:9 content, and displayed as either. In the case of 4:3 content on Blu-ray, the bars have to be coded right into the image, because there is no native 4:3 1920 x 1080 mode. Your player can't simply stretch the image, because the bars are part of the image too, which was not the case for DVD video.

About the only way to get properly stretched content out of HD 4:3 like that would be to rip it to a PC or play it on a PC like others have mentioned. Handbrake is a software that can re-encode 4:3 HD content without the black bars. I use this myself, but not to stretch the video, I do it because I want to save space on my media center PC (believe it or not, those needless black bars do make a bigger video file).

16. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Don't most flat panels have a zoom setting to cut the black off for those not wanting it?

I have a panasonic plasma, it has a zoom that I use when there are postage stamp movies on cable (surrounded by black bars all around aka 4:3 letterboxed)

17. BrEnDoN

BrEnDoN Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm currently re-watching DS9 on DVD and I've cropped it so that it fills my 16x9 screen and I gotta say it looks really good in that aspect ratio despite a drop in resolution (If I'm atleast 2 metres away from the screen, it isn't obvious), when I finally get around to getting the TNG bluray, I'm gonna try and watch TNG that way too. If a cropped DVD looks ok like that, I'm sure the bluray will too. (My tv aint that big...) I hope it gets cropped when the HD TNG episodes are aired on TV...

18. Doug Otte

I apologize if my response came off the wrong way. I perceived a slur against myself, and I am American, just not the type I thought I was being referred to.

And, my name is Doug Otte - not Ott.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The problem is the way TVs stretch pictures to make a 4:3 picture into a 16x9 one. Usually the "stretch" the edges more than they stretch the middle, the result being that the bulk of the viewing area where all of the action takes place isn't as distorted. So the Trek DVDs can be stretched by a TV (or player) without too negative an impact on the picture. The most you'll see is some distortion between "the middle" and "the edge" and some "lensing" with lines and objects on a scan.

The TNG Blu-Rays are matted. On your standard settings the sides of the picture are black (easier on the TV, can prevent uneven wearing on the pixels) as opposed whatever color your TV uses for areas without a picture. The result is when use your TV to stretch/zoom it stretches the entire thing, including the black "matted" area which causes a much more distorted picture than you'd have with DVDs.

Excuse the quality of these pictures, took them with my camera so the quality is iffy. But it's less the colors and such I'm going for her and more the proportions.

From the opening scene of "The Child"

The BD on "Full" Screen (Maintains OAR. Shows the black "matting" used by CBS to frame the 4:3 picture.)

[​IMG]

On "Horizontal-Fill" (Stretches picture horizontally, cuts off edges of picture.1)

[​IMG]

On "Just"(ify) (Stretches picture to get the corners of the picture to fit the corners of the TV. Stretches the edges more than the center.)

[​IMG]

Om "Zoom" (simply zooms in on the center of the picture. Ratio is likely whatever it takes to make a 4:3 picture fit on a 16:9 screen. Wildly cuts of parts of the image and can make things look blockier or out of focus.)

[​IMG]

DVD on "Full" Screen. TV stretches it to fill the screen Stretching is more severe than either with Justify or H-Fill.

[​IMG]

DVD on "H-Fill."

[​IMG]

DVD on "Just."

[​IMG]

DVD on "Zoom"

[​IMG]

(My player also has a "4:3" setting which makes both pictures exactly the same. The 4:3 picture in the middle with light-gray edges. This can cause bit more wear on the TV and is less pleasant to look at (IMHO.)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  20. BrEnDoN

BrEnDoN Lieutenant Red Shirt

'Zoom' is best. Any kind of stretching is just wrong...