Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Harmony Gold has absolutely nothing to do with Yamato or Star Blazers. The only thing HG blocks is anything Macross.

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone posted a 10 minute preview of the first episode (which was aired as a promotion in Japan on the Bandai channel):

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreLPNsd1zw[/yt]

3. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I might finally buy into BD for this

4. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Definitely purchasing this.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Wow I missed this...another version of Yamato? First the animated movie and live action one, now this?

Edit: Just saw the 10 minute clip....very detailed mechanical design!

RAMA

6. Noname Given

IDK if I'd call this another 'version' of Yamato per se - more like "Yamato Remastered' (but IMO in a VERY good way). I have to say, if they did an English dubbed version, and the SyFy channel was able to show this new remastered - and HD - version, I do think they'd have a fair amount of viewers for it who would stick with it.

The original Yamato story is a good one, with modern Anime visuals (yet still sticking faithfully to a LOT of the original ship designs, etc.) - I HOPE they get enough support from the Japanese fans to do the whole thing.

With an English sub-title track announced, and the fact Japan is in the same BluRay region; they'll get my money for these discs; and I don't live anywhere near Japan ;).

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Very true. This could hopefully be the beginning of a new Yamato Renaissance in both Japan and in the West. I would definitely consider this production a new benchmark in how to "redux" an older TV series.

8. Leroy

Before everyone gets too excited about the Blu-ray I'd like to point out the Japanese video market is a lot different than other regions, the Japanese market has inflated prices it's not that unusual for shows to have 2 episodes per disc at $50!

9. Noname Given

Yeah, that has never chamged - was that way in the late 1980ies, early 1990ies if you ordered any Anime Laser-Discs direct from Japan.

And given that effetively this is a new OAV series (it may end up on Japanese broadcast TV someday), but from what I read the premire two episodes are being shown in Japanese theatres to promote the release of the first BluRay.

I expect to effectively pay through the nose as it were, but right now, I still have a good paying job, and don't normally splurge on a lot of stuff, but this may be an exception for me.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

And I thought 3-4 episodes per disc for $20 was bad, now I feel silly.

11. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I've heard, the video rental market is alive and well in Japan thanks to the crazy pricing structure.

I suspect there'll be a lot of pirated downloads going on over here a few days after this hits stores.

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks very pretty. But goods looks aren't enough to win me over. Seems like there won't be any difference in the story.

13. Cutter John

Hey, if it ain't broke...

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

....don't remake it :techman:

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I get the feeling you're not going to be happy about the anime based on Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin I hear is in the making.

16. Noname Given

I found a version of the 10 minute preview where, if you enable Youtube's closed captioning, and under 'settings' enable the 'Translate (Beta)' feature and select you language of choice (I choose English myself ;)) - you WILL see roughly translated (probably some form of Google Translate being used) subtitles for the clip.

[And no, it's NOT the English subtitle track on the actual BDs; but for those interested in getting some idea of what's being said if you don't really know the storyline of "Space Battleship Yamato" here... :)]

Here's the link to that Youtube version of the 10 minute Preview footage (link)

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

If the translated captions aren't completely wrong it looks like there is a slight plot difference from the original in the first episode.

18. Cutter John

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

No its a totally new series with the same story, so I wouldnt call it a "remastering". There HAS been a fan made "remastering" but obviously its not official.

RAMA

20. Leroy

Interesing that you mention that project, Gundam the Origin is based on a manga done a few years ago, part of it was released in the US by Viz media. It's not a true remake per say and the Gundam franchise has been doing this since the mid 80's with the movie trilogy and again in '06 with the Zeta trilogy.

The situation with Yamato is very different, I don't mind this at all since it will get more people interested in space opera and that is only a good thing, not all remakes are bad. The sad truth is that as much as I love Yamato and other works by Leiji Matsumoto getting people interested in a 40 year old anime is very difficult.