Sanctuary 1x01/02 - "Sanctuary for All" - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turbo, Oct 3, 2008.

?

Grade Sanctuary for All

1. Excellent

14.0%
  2. Above Average

46.5%
  3. Average

32.6%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

7.0%
  1. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

Average.

Although the writing had a couple of really outstanding lines, it was generally average to weak.

I do not have high hopes for this show.

2. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    I guess the Geico cavemen found a new show. I think I prefer hostile nasty monsters over the happy little monster petting zoo. I just wish the main guy wasn't an exact rip of Daniel Jackson.

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish Daniel Jackson wasn't Jean Grey with glasses and bad hair.

4. Nathan_Heller

Nathan_Heller Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gave Sanctuary an excellent rating. After being disappointed by Flash Gordon and the Dresden Files, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved it. Seeing Amanda Tapping in tight black pants didn't hurt either.

:techman:

5. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Don't understand all the guff about Tapping's accent. I couldn't watch the first half, but listened to it while I was working. I assumed that the good Doctor was being played by an English woman, albeit one who's lived in America for quite some time, and lost some of her British accent/picked up a slight American accent. It wasn't 'til the second half that I saw it was Amanda Tapping.

All in all, the show was good, albeit a bit derivative. If they can continue to deliver this level of quality, I'll continue to watch.

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Well, I was going to pass on this show, but after reading this thread it sounds like it might actually be ok, I guess I'll watch the premier afterall just to see.

7. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

I recoamend watching it and seeing for yourself, you may or may not like it but atleast you will know:)

I couldn't give this show anything other than Excellent or Poor, We haven't seen enough episodes to judge if this is the normal feeling and impact from a sanctuary episode. I gave it Excellent.

8. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The shameless mix of SF and fantasy elements is a tricky one. The hacks' misconception that it's a natural stylistic fit has caused many a sour note.

But if you're going the shameless nonsense route, it is far better to go for broke. The appendage was suitably outre. And the Gothic cathedral on the Hudson was also OTT. The characters are likable. Yes, Will Zimmerman is very Daniel-esque. But the dark and gritty fad has refreshened that character type. (Atlantis has always suffered from not having a Daniel type character.) Chopsocky Queen is the most boring but---she gets along with her mother! And the dialogue is competent.

If they don't drag out some "arc" the show might be a keeper.

9. RaymondJames

fair acessment

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I have a VCR, I was just trying to decide which I wanted to watch and which I wanted to record. I guess I should have been more specific, sorry. I ended watching Clone Wars, so I'll hopefully watch this later today, and after I do I'll be posting my thoughts.

11. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I did not really grab me but i will give it another couple of episodes because i know it takes time to set everything up.
    I missed a few seconds of it why did the bad guy inject him self with blood?

12. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

^^ Helen is over 100 years old, and he believes her blood would stabilize his powers and stop him from dying.

13. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was good enough to keep watching for at least awhile.

Favorite character? The...what is he, a caveman? Neanderthal? Bigfoot?
    Least favorite character? The daughter--total cliche of her ignoring being told not to go out, then getting caught.

2d favorite character? Tie--but I'm not sure if I have their names right: Henry (the tech guy) and Silvio (the weapons supplier).

Will may be the "Daniel Jackson" character, but he looks like Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter).

14. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed it. It's got potential.

It's lightyears better than crap like Fringe.

Had some cliche moments, Jack the Ripper? But fun.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got a chance to watch it this afternoon and I really liked it. The characters all seem pretty interesting, and the writing and acting were pretty good. They also seem to be setting up a pretty interesting universe, with all of these different mutants, and monsters and stuff. The only thing that really suprised me was how little of it was actually done with the green screen, I thought it was going to be the entire show, but it was actually just a few scenes here and there. My favorite characters are probably the tech guy, Helen, and the Caveman/ape guy/whatever. I'm also curious to see what else their going to do with Druitt, because I saw that he is actually credited as a regular. So how was this premier related to the web series?

16. RaymondJames

I said that already:shifty:

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very, very average. No worse than big-shot JJ Abrams' Fringe - bet it was a lot cheaper, too - but I'm just not in the mood for more warmed-over X-Files knockoffs. I'll be passing on this one.

Amanda Tapping's character doesn't really come through personality-wise - too inert. Her performance seems very stagey and stiff, I'm continually reminded that she is reciting lines in a script rather than just speaking. The overgrown Harry Potter guy is too dull and grating to be a lead actor. The blonde leather chick is a walking cliche. If the premise is going to be Monster of the Week, they really needed to cast some very strong and compelling actors in these roles as compensation, like on Pushing Daisies or Chuck, where I hardly mind the episodic nature of the series because the characters keep me coming back.

On the plus side, the visuals were effective, especially when they were sticking to buildings and other inanimate objects. The mermaid - yeeech. So that means this cost-saving approach could be applied to other sci fi series, and used more imaginatively (if you can depict anything, why limit yourself to the kind of architecture and landscapes we could find on Earth anyway?) to build worlds around actors, who still need to be playing the mermaids et al because the technology clearly isn't there to create living beings effectively.

Imagine this technology being used to create completely bizarre and alien worlds, really crazy stuff like you'd never see on Star Trek. Or to keep with the gothic theme, how about a depiction of a more Lovecraftian parallel reality?

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Grating" is unpleasant, but it is not ''dull." Liking or disliking the actors is a matter of taste, though. But it is not a matter of taste that Sanctuary is not an X-Files knockoff, even though Fringe is. The titular premise is that the heroes have to decide the fates of the guest "monsters" each week. That's not X-Files. For that matter, the show seems more like Torchwood.

19. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Yes - it impressed me a year ago when I saw it too.

This is gonna be B5 all over again. All the Jonny come latelys will be praising this now while ignorning the original run.

20. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I don't remember it at all a year ago. Yet IMDB says it did come out 9/1/2007. :vulcan: