Ocampa

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Bry_Sinclair, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

We'll we've seen Humans life to be almost 150 and Vulcans just over 200 Earth Years. For all we know 150 Vulcan Years could be about 200 Earth years.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The universal translator converts all systems of measurement to the listeners standard.

It's a question of youth. Humans beings, if McCoy is the yardstick, keep getting older and older and older and even more useless as they get older and older and older... Human beings might be able to conceivably live for a very long time but they become too fragile to live anything close to a life of adventure, and would probably die instantly if they tried.

Forever old.

Vulcans seem to have a lot more usable prime of life equivalent to a human 30 to 45 that lasts for 150 years or longer.

Vulcans live for a max of 300 years. Sarek was two hundred when he got his dementia and with the correct medical care would continue to live on for another century despite his brain being completely rotten.

T'Pol was almost 70 yet looked like a fit 26 year old human woman in ridiculous fancy dress... Which would have made her 170 in Enterprise Squarred where she was not fit at all.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure, but then again, it's trying to explain away a nonsensically written Trek factoid.

The idea is that unless Kes has her first child at this short window of opportunity they call elogium, she won't be able to have any, ever. There is no equivalent to that in human biology, but that's neither here nor there. Kes' own description of elogium does not equate it with puberty - that's just Janeway jumping to conclusions.

Well, seconds and minutes, certainly - they are something we can easily verify, as they are quoted in contexts where they tick away as we watch. But whether "year" is a system of measurement or a physical phenomenon in its own right is a somewhat different matter. It does have its independent astronomical definition, after all. And if the local year comes with seasons, it will probably greatly affect one's perception of one's age ("She's thirteen springs young"; "He has seen two hundred and fifty-three winters").

As for McCoy, he might have been stricken with a dozen space ailments that make him an atypical specimen. Picard was a decade younger than Patrick Stewart, but Bashir was the same age as Siddig El Fadil; perhaps humans in fact age more slowly during their productive middle years, and thus not merely live longer but also prosper longer? Mark Jameson did seem awfully displeased with being a somewhat typical 85-year-old, thinking nature had dealt him with atypically bad cards for the 24th century.

Timo Saloniemi

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think you have that backwards. Stewart was 47 when starting TNG.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I put it badly: for any given birthday, Picard was "younger" than Stewart, because Picard was born earlier than Stewart but still looked like Stewart. That is, at seventy, Picard looked like sixty.

Timo Saloniemi

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it makes sense for a species who live less than a decade to only have a single period of fertility halfway through their lifespan. Vulcans are compelled to mate ever seven years or face certain death, that seems weirder to me.

7. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Well vulcans dont necesarily face death. They have other options, like the ritual battle, or deep meditation.

8. Guy Gardener

Meditation never works.

Meditation is code for "Shhhh! I went out and raped some one".

9. Melakon

This explains all of T'Pol's meditating on Enterprise.

10. Guy Gardener

It also explains the Vulcan's don't lie thing.

"No, I didn't rape anyone, I was meditating. Weren't you not raping anyone Officer when you were meditating last winter?"

11. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I don't really think such casual throwing around of the word rape is funny

12. Guy Gardener

It's not supposed to be funny. Have you seen blood fever? It's tragic. This is the condition of the species.

Besides Voyager is THE Rape show. They were dragged across the universe in the pilot to be raped. The entire series is predicated on the rapability of Voyager.

I'm not inventing anything, I'm just choosing not to ignore it.

This is about facepalms, not chuckles.

13. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I still kindly ask that you not throw the word around

14. Guy Gardener

Please make a complete list of all the words you believe that I am not allowed to use.

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Rapedy, rape rape rape.

In the case of T'Pol it was never stated that the female faces death by blue balls. With Tuvok, it wasn't his first pon'farr, and that might make a difference.

With the other Vulcan on Voyager (whose name I can't remember - how embarrassing) the brief "combat" he experienced with Be'Lanna might have satisfied the ritual combat requirement, saving him from death.

In ancient times, if a Vulcan female could successfully fights off her ardent suitor, everyone went back to what they were doing before. It was only logical.

:)

16. Guy Gardener

Vorik.

Tim Russ turned the story down because he didn't think it was decent for Tuvok to cheat on his wife.

I still say meditation doesn't work, but the Vulcans claiming to have gotten through by meditating could have just been serial murderers.

Can you imagine being a homicide detective on Vulcan?

It's just a question of long division.

17. Melakon

Blue boobs maybe. In ENT:Bounty, when T'Pol is trying to climb onto Phlox, she tells him (and every other male she encounters later) that she needs for him to get more familiar with her anatomy or she'll die.

18. Guy Gardener

Green boobs.

Their blood chemistry is based on copper, not iron.

19. Melakon

My Treknerdness failed me.

20. Guy Gardener

I think the weird thing for us would be scabbing after some abrasive accident.

Scabs would look like lurid green slugs.

Lots and lots of lemon-lime slugs crawling all over his or her body.