Phase II - Act One of "KITUMBA"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TrekGirl, May 24, 2013.

1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Awaiting the results with a modicum of impatience, Alec.

2. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Adobe CC Audition, Under the Effects Tab, there's a variety of tools I've been working with. Sometimes one thing like the Noise Reduction might be effective. Other times it's playing with the EQ. I'm by no means an expert on it, but it can be lessened. I'm using Audition now to work on S02-F THE SHOVEL OF KAHLESS for Project: Potemkin.

3. scienceguy

scienceguy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks for the advice! I had a problem with ADR echo on a low budget film I produced. After visiting online forums, my impression is that it's very difficult to remove echo from indoor walls, etc.

4. Potemkin_Prod

If you have Adobe CC Premiere Pro, you can actually click on the offending audio and open it up in Audition. Spent the afternoon cleaning up car noise, wind noise and even some echoes from Shovel of Kahless. Not difficult to learn, probably impossible to master, but all in all, very pleased with the results.

5. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Think you guys can take your off-topic conversation to PM so this stays on topic?

Thank you

6. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry to go off topic for a bit as well. In 2009 at Dragon Con, a discussion panel for this episode (2009? Jeez) at the end had James Cawley offering someone the role of Harry Mudd for an upcoming PHASE 2 episode...

Has this episode been scrapped?

7. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Yea, I remember that video... good question.

8. Potemkin_Prod

According to Eric Stillwell of TrekTrax, he was offered that very role.

But my understanding now is that another actor has been cast, and yet I've also been told that the episode is on the back burner.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Sound is a good topic to bring up again in the Fan Filmmaker's Primer topic, as it doesn't get discussed enough.

10. Loken

With the addition of David Gerrold as Show Runner, all script and creative decisions are going through David. There are currently plans for two episodes, one written by David, and another by DC Fontana. There are no Harry Mudd episodes planned and all previous discussions about scripts are no longer valid. David reads all submissions, and only people who have been working with Phase II in the past are being considered for writing and directing roles for the near future.

Part of what the new production team at Phase II is trying to do is have more consistent communication, a better post process to speed release of episodes, and a very clear creative process that David runs. James Cawley remains Executive Producer, but he has brought in David and I to work with Rob Mauro and the amazing crew we have, to raise the bar.

I will be picking up the drive with Kitumba on it Sunday and Mark Lewis, my post supervisor and I will start on it next week. We have use of one of the best sound stages in Hollywood to work on it.

Alec

11. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Sounds great!

The only question I have, and I hope you can answer, is whether the new scripts you mentioned are for stories after "Bread and Savagery," and "The Holiest Thing," or if they'll be replacing those two episodes?

12. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

"Bread and Savagery" and "The Holist Thing" have been shot pretty much in their entirety and will be coming out at some point. "The Protracted Man" and "Mind-Sifter" are more problematic for various reasons.

13. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

It was very good of James to hand his creation over to a new team when somebody else with other life obligations might have shut the thing down.

14. Loken

Well, James is still very much involved, and the Executive Producer. He has just, like all good entrepreneurs, brought in others to take the product to the next level.

15. Loken

Kitumba drive is in my possession and we will start working on it soon in LA.

Alec

16. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

That sounds a lot like "Houston, we are go for liftoff!"

Looking forward to seeing your final result.

17. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Fantastic news!

BACK THAT SUCKER UP! :D

18. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I did. After securing the last of the "Kitumba" footage (thanks, Matt), I copied the 4TB drive before giving it to James Cawley. So it's still safe and sound.

19. Loken

And Kevin Sullivan, who was editing Kitumba, has a copy of the drive since that is what he used to create the one I now have in my possession. So there are 3 copies.

Just goes to show you, NEVER allow the footage to leave your possession without keeping a copy, or you could either have it lost in transit, or even have some unscrupulous director/editor hold your episode hostage (and believe it or not, it is not just Phase II that this has happened to).

ALWAYS have 3 copies.

20. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I agree with Maurice that the cut is entirely too darkly lit. I don't know if that was the objective of the lighting design on the shoot or not, and even if it was that'd befine if it were consistently done.

The sound could be improved in places as well. Did I read somewhere up thread that this was the final sound but not the final color master?

I know this is listed as "Preview" on YouTube, but it's interesting that there are titles at the head of the episode that curiously omit Vic Mignona as either his Klingon character or as director of the episode. Given the brouhaha that erupted from whatever happened or didn't happen, it strikes me as an odd choice to make not including his credit.

As I'm not party to either side in the matter, I'll leave the speculation about why out of it, but given my own experience with television production and post-production, the absence of his credit at the beginning did jump out at me.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013