The Revolution pilot is online now...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Am I the only one who won't watch another serialized show until I'm sure it won't be cancelled as soon as I get into it?

2. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Nope:

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally watching this on NBC now. Hey its Gus from Breaking Bad! lol

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't horrible, but I'm not going to remember much of it in the morning. Definitely some Hunger Games and Lost "homages" though.

5. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

No electricity. Guy wears AC/DC t-shirt. Subtle.

6. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was ok, not terrible but definitely lacking in most areas. The pilot/first episode felt entirely rushed and could have benefited greatly from being two hours, rather than just the one. They glossed over things that I would have liked to have seen them spend more time on; such as the build up to and duration of the 'collapse', some more time with the father so that we actually care about him and therefore the daughters ultimate quest, as well as the trip from the camp to Chicago and their time their in the city beyond that one hotel....they could have even just spent more time there in the camp setting up the world, before thrusting everyone into the trip before the second commercial break.

They ran through enough plot in one episode, that a good writer could have developed and stretched out for most of the season. It might get better, but I don't expect great things from it, which goes for most network tv these days. Cable is where it's at. Now I'm just waiting for HBO to latch onto the sci-fi bandwagon.

7. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

my guess is the power outage has something to do with nullifying magnetic fields. Something is preventing the induction of an electric current when moving a conductor through a magnetic field. That means no electric generators, no spark plugs in cars, nothing to run the fuel pumps in the planes or in modern diesel engines. Chemical batteries could still hold power however, so you would have to say that there is nothing for them to run.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Solar voltaic cells would still work, therefore you could charge batteries and still use most electronic devices.

9. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Watching the pilot "live" after having watched it online last week. The problems I saw last week are still there...

The frustrating lack of real explanation about 'the event' and why these usb/dongles work to counteract whatever happened. Also...I feel bad for anyone who depends on a pace maker or was on life support at the time of the black out, they probably died nearly immediately, possibly painfully if the functionality went in and out.

WHY did the plane suddenly 'fall'? That's not how inertia works! Unless that's how 'physics went crazy' but inertia seems to work fine for everything else later. I'm betting it's because it 'looked cool'.

Can't stand the Charlie character or the actress that plays her. She's just annoying and kind of naive, a stuck-up Katniss with a bit of Little Mermaid's Ariel with her collection of things from 'before'. That and the commercials I've seen where they have her character saying "When the world lost power I found mine". Pretentious, girl-power baiting when we see right from the pilot she still needs a man or someone to save her, whether it's Nate, her uncle or the doctor lady. She's a silly girl playing the grown-up's game that her father never got time to explain to her.

If we're going to be following Charlie and/or her brother throughout the series I give up here and now. Horrible acting, horrible characters.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about all the men and women out there minutes to seconds away from climax betrayed by their stalled vibrator?

11. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The gross inhumanity of such an injustice...it boggles the mind.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Charlie was pretty hot. Too bad her acting wasn't that good. I hope she greatly improves in the next few episodes. Shows like this need amazing lead actors or supporting actors that steal the show. So far this show has none of that.

The rest of the story wasn't that interesting. I didn't come away caring about any of the characters, which is a big problem for these kind of heavy arc shows. The whole world looks too nice, everyone dressed like they had just been to the mall, and the story felt way too rushed. It would have been better if they hadn't arrived at Chicago in the middle of the first episode, but gotten there in two or three episodes. Getting there so quickly felt like they teleported to the location. Some more world building was in order.

That attempted rape scene was so badly done. If you are going to have one, have it at least make some kind of impact on the character attacked. Instead Charlie pretty much shrugged it off like it was nothing.

Looks like there is going to be a Charlie and militia boy romance. Boring.

LOST grabbed many viewers by the neck and stomped them repeatedly in the face with how awesome its pilot was. Revolution should have done the same instead of making me feel that these people were taking a casual stroll through the park.

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Also notice how clean our heroes are, there teeth all perfect, and there there clothes are all super clean with no holes, totaly unrealistic in that senario.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It's a conceit of network television. It was expected right from the start anyways.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Where's the connection between "network television" and "perfectly clean wardrobe"?

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because you know the network suits will never let their characters look too 'dirty' - everyone has to look good, else it would drive down ratings. Everyone has to be clean and photogenic. No one is ever dirty or ugly. :rolleyes:

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Ratings go down when characters look dirty?

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Walking Dead has one of the most dirty looking group of characters on television, and it always done very well in the ratings. Post-apocalyptic show done right. :rommie:

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral