Spoilers TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic by McIntee Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Mar 22, 2011.

?

Rate Indistinguishable From Magic

1. Outstanding

51 vote(s)
    28.5%
  2. Above Average

69 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Average

27 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. Below Average

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. Poor

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

Missed it - it gets a technobabble explanation on page 88-89. Glad you liked it!

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Oh, wow, that's really out there. I haven't seen Destiny of the Daleks in years so there wasn't any way I would have caught that reference. :lol:

3. sherbertpi9

sherbertpi9 Ensign Newbie

I must say, firstly, that it was a very enjoyable read, I couldn't put it down (figuratively speaking, it was a Kindle ;) ) so any little niggling downs or cons cannot impeach that fact.

I did like how it payed homage to so broad and varied a fanbase, kudos to David for giving us nerds something to chuckle at. :rommie:
    And while some may not, I did like having plenty of familiar faces around, it requires more thought and creative writing to insert existing characters than simply create new ones.

I am glad too that Geordi was not written as the same 'unluckiest character ever' that has been his way for so long, and that he finally gets the girl. :bolian:

I must question, though, has there been some memo at 'Star Trekl HQ' which requires the removal of our original heroes? First Spock in the new movie and now Scotty, whats the go? :cardie::vulcan:

So, despite heavy sciency subjects and at times disjointed dialogue, thank you for a fun time with some of my 'golden oldie' favourite characters.

Live long and prosper, David

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm confused. Why can't that be literal with a Kindle? A Kindle is still something you pick up and hold, right? So you'd therefore put it down when you stopped reading, wouldn't you? I mean, yeah, you could then use it to read something different without putting it down in between, but you'd have to put it down sometime. Unless it's, like, some experimental new ocular-implant model.

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

No, I just thought it was a tad unrealistic that *everybody* (except Kirk, and even then there's the Shatner books) is still around, aged, like 200... And I figured Scotty deserved an appropriate exit, if it stays as an exit.

6. JonoKyle

JonoKyle Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have to agree with you regarding the survival of the TOS characters. At least with Spock being part-vulcan it was still plausible he would still be active.

I thought I had read somewhere the typical human life-span in the Trek universe was ~120 years old, however in Fragments & Omens from the DS9 relaunch it is indicated the life-span for a human is ~150 years.

By 2383 - Uhura, Sulu (if he is still alive) & Chekov would be in their late 140's & McCoy would be late 150's. If the typical life-span is 120, by now most of them (if not all) should have been dead by now. Even if the life-span is 150 it is very unlikely they would all still be alive and as active as they are. However, except from McCoy, have any of the others been heard of since the Watraii affair (2377?)? So it is possible they could have passed on since.

At least with Scotty it was realistic that he was still active due to the 75 years he didn't age, which would have only made him in his mid-80's. IMO I like the ending you gave to Scotty.

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see Spock and maybe McCoy being alive, but not uhura, Chekov, Sulu. etc.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ Why? McCoy was older than those three.

9. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

But McCoy's a doctor, so presumably he'd have access to/be more willing to try experimental therapies and the like?

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a doctor, not a test subject, damnit!

11. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked the Scotty exit. He died saving many lives, it was very heroic. And as was said, the book left it open for his return same as PD did for Janeway. Of course, I think a more realistic Scotty death would be alcohol poisoning or liver failure.

12. MatthiasRussell

I wish Scotty took a swig of Scotch before jumping onto the transporter.

13. Ronald Held

I would prefer that he materializes somewhere/somewhen viable and continues onward.

14. MatthiasRussell

Was it never intended for Geordi's relationship in Typhon 4 to be long term. It seemed to me they were setting him up for something significant and then IFM puts him with Leah and Geordi feels the prior relationship was doomed.

I heard a Leah relationship was set up in Genesis Wave but I never read it.

Either way, I think Leah makes more sense and I like it because if he stays with her, we are in agreement with Countdown plus Geordi was married to her in the anti-time future.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's not like there's some overarching master plan here, even when we don't have the kind of editorial shuffle we've had over the past few years. Most of the ideas originate with the novelists. Sometimes one author will introduce something into the mix that future authors may pick up on if they so desire, but sometimes later authors will have different ideas and choose not to pick up on those things. In this case, it just so happened that the author of the next TNG novel after Paths of Disharmony had his own plans for a Geordi romance that required cutting the thing with Tamala Harstad short. If that hadn't been the case, that relationship might've gone on longer. It's just the luck of the draw.

16. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least Geordi got a girl. Been long enough.

Next issue?

17. Ronald Held

I can agree with that.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, he got two different girls in back to back stories, that's better than he ever did on the show.

19. Truth

Truth Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's not like there's some overarching master plan here, even when we don't have the kind of editorial shuffle we've had over the past few years. Most of the ideas originate with the novelists. Sometimes one author will introduce something into the mix that future authors may pick up on if they so desire, but sometimes later authors will have different ideas and choose not to pick up on those things. In this case, it just so happened that the author of the next TNG novel after Paths of Disharmony had his own plans for a Geordi romance that required cutting the thing with Tamala Harstad short. If that hadn't been the case, that relationship might've gone on longer. It's just the luck of the draw.[/QUOTE]

An thats the problem to me no clear path , you get introduced to a new person and the next writer decided to write them out. it makes it hard to get any new favorites becasue you have to worry about a nother writer coming in and undoing it.. To be honest she seem liked the predictable choice. Like you said it left up tothe writer so next book or two she chould be gone again..gets kind of annoying

20. Truth

Truth Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

An thats the problem to me no clear path , you get introduced to a new person and the next writer decided to write them out. it makes it hard to get any new favorites becasue you have to worry about a nother writer coming in and undoing it.. To be honest she seem liked the predictable choice. Like you said it left up tothe writer so next book or two she chould be gone again..gets kind of annoying