NuTrek's Starfleet

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Crazy Eddie, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a little thing that's been on the back burner for a long time, but all the discussion with Akimoto about the history of Starfleet, plus some of the more interesting revelations from Admiral Marcus' "powerwall" graphics has given this project new life.

Posting the image captures because I assume it's less annoying than submitting the entire document in PDF format. This is just a first draft at the moment, and I'm planning more installments in the future, so I'm looking for constructive feedback; the more the merrier.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Nice work. :techman:

Paramount should publish a new Star Fleet Technical Manual for the new J.J. Starfleet. I want to see deck plans of the 1701 (nuTrek).

3. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

I think the bit about the Federation Council adjourning is perhaps a bit too drastic, we don't really see evidence of anything like that at the end of STID which takes place a year after the whole Marcus affair.

Side note:
    Vaughan Rittenhouse is a Vice Admiral circa 2270-2272. So the likelihood of him being of sufficient seniority to be elevated to CinC Starfleet in 2251 is ranges from slim to none. At most he's likely a captain or maybe a rear admiral.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As proposed contexts for the last two movies' storylines to be retrofitted into go, it's not a bad choice. And incorporating Diane Carey's Rittenhouse character might play well with Orci and Kurzmann.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just a stylistic comment, but you seem to use "quotes" far too much. Most if not all of those could probably be removed, and would make it look a lot more professional IMO.

6. Crazy Eddie

Actually I'm taking a page out of the political fallout from "Dreadnought!" and taking it up to eleven. Mainly this is because the Prime Universe "Rittenhouse Scandal" occurred in Deep Space during a time of relative peace and was presented to the public mainly in news headlines. The Black Ship Fiasco, by contrast, occurs within a year of the destruction of a major Federation world and involves a stolen Federation battleship -- one that by all accounts shouldn't even exist -- opening fire on a Federation ship and then taking out ten city blocks of a major Earth city for no apparent reason.

Imagine if three days after 9/11 Donald Rumsfeld was shot down while trying to bomb Wasington D.C. while piloting a stealth fighter that didn't officially exist. To say that "heads will roll" would be a massive understatement.

Yeah, I considered that. The similarities between Rittenhouse and Marcus were strong enough that I had to consider his overall agenda was being implemented twenty years early for some reason. That to me implies that Rittenhouse HIMSELF wound up getting promoted earlier in this timeline, probably due to the Kelvin Incident.

In the Primeline, I figure Rittenhouse would have been Captain through the 2230s, reaching Rear Admiral by the mid 2240s and Vice Admiral by the 2250s, in time to lead the development of the Star Empire which enters service about 15 years later. The alternate timeline sees Rear Admiral Rittenhouse being appointed to the position by an outgoing (disgruntled) President mainly as a last "fuck you" to the previous commander. That would explain why the Dreadnought project is a full twenty years ahead of schedule by the time we get to the late 2250s.

Good call. I'll have a look at that tonight.

A thing to bear in mind though is that I'm considering the term "flagship" to be an unofficial designation used by media and officers to refer to a certain type of vessel, sort of like "supercarrier" or "boomer". Because no two of these ships are exactly alike, no official designation for them exists or is even possible.

7. Crazy Eddie

Working on tech sheets and specs for most of the Abramsverse starships, but I have no intention of doing deckplans or schematics and frankly I wouldn't want to see them anyway.

I'm sort of basing this project on the old John Jordan books I used to read when I was a kid. Military reference books rarely include deckplans or detailed schematics, partly because 1) the interesting ones are all classified and 2) the non-classified ones are indecipherable to anyone who isn't personally familiar with the ships themselves (which, since those ships don't really exist, means ALL OF US).

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Something that caught my eye: sixteen species in this version of the Federation at this point in its history?

9. Crazy Eddie

I tried to take a head count for the number of different aliens in the reception room at Journey to Babel on the assumption that every Federation member sent a representative. Then I added a few planets (the Xindi and the Bolians, for example) that were probably members but just weren't present at the reception for some reason.

I figure the Federation would have sixteen full members (homeworlds) a few dozen affiliate members (colonies, allies and protectorates). I also envisioned the Diplomatic Corps being a lower house of the Federation assembly with legislative powers of its own; you don't need to actually BE a member of the Federation to sent a representative, just be a government recognized by it (similar to the U.N.). That is meant to explain the presence of Klingon and Romulan ambassadors just sort of hanging out at Starfleet headquarters in STIV, V and VI; they're ambassadors from Qo'nos and Romulus appointed to represent them in the Federation diplomatic corps.

IOW, not everyone who interacts with the Federation are actually PART of the Federation, and not every alien who serves on the Enterprise is actually FROM a Federation member world.

10. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

^^^
    This seems like a reasonable approach.

--Alex

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

An interesting read. I really like that the new movies are finally getting some Treknical attention, although I don't like the earlier pre-ENT timeline divergence or the transwarp stuff (since the new movies are perfectly in line with the warp speeds of TOS, TAS and the classic movies IMHO). I do like the "flagship" designation (so used in the Star Trek D.A.C videogame) and incorporation of factoids from the "powerwall" graphics.

Into Darkness was seemingly so heavily inspired by Dreadnought! that having Admirals Rittenhouse and Marcus together seems like overkill. Like a Batman movie where Bruce Wayne's parents were killed by The Joker (as i the '89 movie) and Generic Thug Guy (as in Batman Begins) working together.

12. Crazy Eddie

Honestly, my feeling is that this is the way the TOS timeline was too and we just plain never saw that aspect of Starfleet. The main source of the divergence is the political shift towards a more aggressive exploration policy after the Kelvin incident.

Basically, Starfleet always had transwarp drive, they just could never make it work on a ship as small as the TOS Enterprise. In NuTrek, they still can't, and won't be able to until the new Excelsior hits the scene thirty years later.

Actually, I was attempting to imply that Rittenhouse and Marcus are both heavy hitters with Section 31 and are therefore interchangeable: when Rittenhouse gets the boot, he basically arranges for one of his successors to get the job and carry out his agenda. So it's not "Batman vs. Joker and thug guy" so much as "Captain America vs. the Nazis." There's hints of this in the IDW comic series (which I'm also using as source material) that Section 31 is a threat body all its own and that its individual members aren't actually all that important.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:eek: :eek: NOOOOOO!!! Do NOT use that word! ABORT! ABORT!

14. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Glad you finally decided to do this, Eddie. Looking forward to offer something useful after re-reading a few times.

15. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

I love this
    So awesome

16. Crazy Eddie

Making more edits to the introduction chapters based on your feedback. Will repost as those are finished.

In the mean time, take a look at this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Very nice stuff.

Will there be any material to cover the USS Vengeance 'Dreadnought' class aswell?

18. Crazy Eddie

Absolutely.

Bear in mind, however, that a good deal of the Dreadnought's specifications may be classified.;)

19. Crazy Eddie

And two more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice!:)

I like the comparison between the "design proposal" and finished vessel. I'd previously figured that the TOS Constitution design never existed in the alternate universe (i.e. what we got was this timeline's plan A, based on different design parameters a the project's outset), but after seeing that NCC-0718 hologram in the ID deleted scene and read "old style Constitution-class" somewhere (either one of the Starfleet Academy novels or a fanfic) I've wondered how both designs might have co-existed somehow.

As for the USS Vengeance, the novel The Return featured a Defiant-class ship with a similar paint job, described as a layer of "microdiffracted carbon" to absorb visible radiation.