How to get the younger generation interested in TOS?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by evangelist6589, May 28, 2014.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

TBH, it was hard for me to make myself watch TOS. Shows in the 60's often had a cheesiness to them. Since I didn't grow up in the 60's, it made watching TOS hard. I had to learn to separate any cheesiness from the core of the story. It also helped that when I really sat down to watch the series from beginning to end, I watched the remastered version.

2. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And--good gods!--is any TOS episode worse than TNG's "Rascals"? I'd rather watch "And the Children Shall Lead" than that particular stinker! I'd rather watch "Spock's Brain" any day than Voyager's "Fair Haven." The first 2 seasons of DS9 are more bad than good. Point being, there are just as many horrendous eps in the later series (more, since they have longer runs), but that doesn't make the rest of the eps unwatchable.

You're probably completely right about anyone starting with Abrams Trek. All they know is soulless slam-bang shit with a Trek logo stuck on it.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fans who started on the Abrams movies will likely never attain such unpleasant levels of elitism as some of the "old guard" around here. And that's definitely a good thing.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

6. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So that's what they're calling taste now? Interesting how language evolves, eh?

7. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

meh. It's hardly insulting to be called elitist. Someone has to maintain standards, even if only in the form of expectations. I expect something called Star Trek to have certain standards of professionalism in its writing, acting, music... general artistry. It has ebbed and flowed as the franchise (how I hate that term) has passed through the hands of real sci-fi writers, respected directors, businessmen, accountants, hacks...
    Sadly, those raised on the product vomited forth by the latter categories don't know the difference between art and dreck -- except that they prefer the mother's milk of the latter.
    I, for one, would sooner have truck with the elite any day.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That's the broadest brush I've ever seen.

9. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

As I lifelong admirer of Star Trek (since I was but a wee laddie of 5 in the early early 70's), I will disagree with your statement, Beaker. (mee-moo?)

I have no problem with you personally, but statements like yours are the reason I no longer view fandom with a favorable eye.

I think we all find problems with the younger generation, just as our parents and grandparents no doubt found problems with ours. Pot, meet kettle.

But one's enjoyment of a particular form of Star Trek over another has absolutely nothing to do with generational problems. That's simply a fanboyish hang up, plain and simple.

If folks find enjoyment in TOS as a result of first being exposed to the Abrams movies, win win for Star Trek. The Original Series now has a bunch of new, enthralled viewers who are realizing what they've missed/not given a damn about for years.

10. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Not taking it personally, no worries.

Well, it really is a generational thing, in that what's being offered now "ain't your father's Star Trek". Now of course, there are sensible people of all ages who want something more than explosions and space monsters. And this is not really the forum for criticizing the movies, but I will say that those who think movies like those Abrams produces are the height of Trek are not going to "get" what makes TOS so good.

Koenig really nails it here at around 4:25 when he says that huge battles scenes and space monsters do not a Trek film make.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgt9DLDG0lU[/yt]

btw, the whole interview is fascinating. It's available in 5 parts on youtube, linked below.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

It really gets fiery when Ellison shows up. Curiously, Rodenberry had a cold and couldn't make it. Fancy that.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Thankfully.

12. Maurice

Conversely, some of us old timers think Star Trek has long suffered from a rather overinflated reputation and given too much approbation for work it hasn't actually done and thus are happy to see movies which are actually "fun" and well made. Classic Trek is full of clunkers, from "Patterns of Force" to "Turnabout Intruder" and pretending it doesn't isn't going to change the fact that discerning audiences of any age are going to see those for what they are.

13. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I will be the first to agree that big space battles do not a Trek story make, although I am more into the action oriented elements of Trek than any other criteria. :)

I think I may have alluded in another thread about how Trek has something for everyone...but, it doesn't always get to present something for everyone in one episode or movie.

I will also admit that, sadly, in order for a Trek movie to really go blockbuster in terms of box-office (not necessarily production levels), it does largely seem to need to be an action (or at least action-laced) film.

Star Trek IV was probably the sole exception to this. It sold itself more as an allegory and comedy, and both were indeed genuine. There was only one shot fired in that movie, and it wasn't even in anger. :)

Star Trek the Motion Picture (also not an action film, but its opening moments were some of the best in Trek film history) was a financial success, if not a critical and/or fan-favored one. However, I think its reputation has changed over the years. I think it has gotten a lot more favor, especially with the release of the Directors' Edition in 2000 (my favorite version of TMP to date). :) I loved TMP from the off, and couldn't quite understand some of the ire that had been cast at it. Sorry, I'm rambling. :)

I can truly understand why some folks liken the latest movies to something more like Star Wars, where there's more phaser fire per minute than probably the TOS and TNG movies combined...LOL! I certainly don't blame them for feeling that way.

Personally, my thought is this: When it comes to the upcoming third movie, it is also my deepest wish that it be more of a movie about exploration and other "loftier" ideals of Star Trek, but if it does turn out to be another action film, then let it be as rousing as the first two. (Personal opinion only. :) )

I do feel that the deeper stuff that Trek delves into is better suited on television. When a lot of folks go to see a movie, they generally wanna have fun. :) When I suggested that the Abrams movies are a good way to introduce the uninitiated to Trek, again, it was only in the context that it has opened up a larger world to them. Suddenly, if they take on an interest in the original series, and the others that followed, and their interest holds, then I call that a win-win for Trek, and for those that have newly been attracted to it. :)

I will try to check out the other links you have kindly provided when I get some more free time. Thank you for posting those. :)

Respectfully,
    Martok2112

14. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As member of the young generation who's "without ball", because yes, I watched TNG before TOS, I claim my rights to teabagging!

15. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is really the thing. Either somebody will be receptive to watching older productions or they will not. Ultimately there's not much one can do to "make" somebody want to watch something that they don't want to watch.

On the other hand...

... this is by far the best way I've found to get younger people into these things. :) But they probably need to be young enough, to be more willing to just sit and watch with you. They might then find that they like it. But I think after they reach a certain age, teenage years, if they haven't already watched a older show by then they might not be willing to even try.

I've gotten very young cousins interested in older shows before, simply by being already watching them when they came around for a visit. They've sat down and watched with me, and seemed to enjoy. Very young people have the ability to overlook the cheapness of something much better than teenagers do. But I have found that black-and-white can still serve as a barrier to them.

16. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

(Watch full-screen for pop-up notes.) I imagine kids today watch TOS with this same feeling—all the technology is old.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7EpEnglgk[/yt]​

17. Maurice

Ha. I just watched that the other day.

18. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I guess I have really fond memories of watching the James Bond films with my dad. I didn't really 'get' them at the time, but his joy was infectious and I now associate watching James Bond with those good times.

I am now 37 and my daughter is 20 months old. I certainly have a dream of sitting down with her and watching TOS (and TNG) with her (don't know what age this should be at- 12?) and, y'know, I won't be devastated if she doesn't like it, and she probably won't, but maybe, just maybe, she'll associate TOS with some time spent with her old dad.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My youngest watched "Devil in the Dark" with me at eighteen-months old. He definitely liked it! Took him with me to see Star Trek Into Darkness at six and he loved it!

20. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Agreed. And these fans hopefully won't be stuck in endless debates about minutiae about what color the uniform is or if the engine room looks like a brewery (or the CERN lab) because they'll just be enjoying the fracking movie(s)/TV shows and getting on with life.