SUPERMAN (2012)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, May 30, 2010.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I never understood the appeal of Darkseid either. I get the appeal of wanting to pit Superman against a god, but all that other stuff with the alternate dimension and Granny always bored the crap out of me on the animated series.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Eion Bailey might have a shot. He was a runner-up for Nolan's Batman and he's been thrown around for Superman quite a few times in the past as well.

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Works for me. :bolian: Hope he gets a serious shot at it.

4. caisson2delta

caisson2delta Captain Captain

I could be in error, but didn't the original Superman movie debut during the winter holiday?

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, he'd be considered too old, especially if they want to make a series out of it. He'd be 36 by the time the movie comes out. If anything, the oldest they would go would be ~30, like when Bale was cast as Batman (Bale was 31 in 2005).

It did.

6. JacksonArcher

What about Jake Gyllenhaal? ;)

7. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as Supes doesn't hit the big ole reset button by flying around the world super fast, I'll be happy.

8. Broccoli

And then the Hollywood board room grows deadly silent for a moment before laughter erupts.

(And, yes, I know he was the second choice for Bats in BB. I'm just making jokes at his expense because I can. And the fact that he's Jake Gyllenhaal).

9. JacksonArcher

I feel bad for Jake Gyllenhaal. He's been up for practically every major superhero on the block. He was this close to replacing Tobey Maguire in Spider-Man 2, he was a contender for Superman doing the McG/Ratner days, and he was runner-up for Nolan's Batman.

I still think if Nolan and whoever is chosen as director decides to replace Brandon Routh, they should still stick with an unknown.

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I wonder though, didn't SR make more than BB?

SR US$391,081,192
    BB US$372,710,015

Given that SR cost more to make I am not seeing where the need for a reboot was...even though I wasn't happy with SR...I still like the film for what it was.

11. JacksonArcher

I am afraid about getting into yet another never-ending debate about the box office of Superman Returns, but I believe the production budget was around $185 million, and totaled around $200 million (disregarding all of the previous production costs slapped onto Returns for no apparent reason).

The film was a decent success, and not the rousing success that WB might have wanted, but I believe it was the lukewarm-to-negative response from fans and the decent box office returns that made WB hesitant about going forward with a sequel. Even if it made more than Batman Begins on a worldwide level (domestically, both films are about even) Begins was considerably better received by both fans and critics, and that probably weighed into WB's decision-making process.

I still think had he been given the chance, Singer and Co. could have been a fantastic, fun, and adventurous Superman Returns sequel. This is after all the man that gave us one of the best superhero sequels of all time, X2. I think Singer realized the lukewarm reception to Returns, based on his comments, and it was clear how he planned to go "all Wrath of Khan on [the sequel]" that he was going to amp up the stakes and the action.

Clearly, though, that's not what is going to happen, which is a shame since I really would have liked to have seen Singer's sequel, but oh, well. I'm honestly more interested in seeing him direct a future X-Men-related sequel.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    I know what you mean. I too think it would have been exciting to see a Singer & Co sequel to SR and have it out already...this wait and reboot process just has me anxious and I am not sure it is necessary...many fans want Routh back...but what's done is done.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

You forgot to mention that he replaced Vincent Chase in Aquaman 2. ;)

Don't feel too bad for him. Nicholas Cage was linked with Iron Man, then Superman, then The Green Goblin, before finally getting to play Ghost Rider. So maybe Jake will get his comic character soon. Besides, if not, he has Prince of Persia to fall back on - not a comic character but a franchise nonetheless.

Agreed. I like Jake but I just don't see him as Superman. I can't think of a name actor who could play The Man of Steel, with the possible exception of Jon Hamm and/ or David Boreanaz, both of whom are probably too old (if they qualify as 'name actors', of course) for the studio's liking.

Then-unkowns Chris Reeve, Hugh Jackman and Routh were much better fits than the likes of Ben Affleck for Daredevil or George Clooney for Batman. Tobey Maguire and Christian Bale were great fits for Spidey Mr Bats, but they weren't really that well known when cast. Robert Downey jr is superb as Iron Man but I don't think IM had quite the iconic status that Supes has. RDJ is not a total match for the character, either physically or personality wise but he's such a great actor that he can overcome that and effectively improve Stark from the comics, by instilling him with his own personality.

I don't think it's possible to do that with Superman, certainly I can't think of an actor who could do it. Whoever plays him needs to be Superman first and Joe Actor second - you can't just have Tom Cruise/ Will Smith/ Brad Pitt/ Johnny Depp in a Superman suit.

Obvious thing to do - get Routh back.

14. Broccoli

Maybe they should cast Tom Welling...

:shifty:

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Maybe they can get Tom Welling to play Clark Kent and Brandon Routh to play Superman?

:guffaw:

16. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man imagine if Jake had gotten the Batman gig. AND if Maggie still replaced Katie Holmes for TDK.

17. JacksonArcher

Plus, with Heath Ledger (Gyllenhaal's co-star in Brokeback Mountain), that would have made the film a truly surreal experience. :lol:

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Never mind that, imagine the innuendo if Jake was Batman and Ledger the Joker. A whole new dimension to that relationship, after Brokebat, er Brokeback Mountain.

Edit - Oops, overlapping post by Jackson and me.

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Completely random post here:

Last night I dreamed I was Clark Kent/Superman, and looked like Matt Bomer.

[​IMG]

Anyway, it took place in the present, since the newspaper industry was hurting. So I thought I'd help the Daily Planet by granting them the first exclusive interview with Superman. But my dilemma was offering the interview to Chloe Sullivan (Allison Mack) who knew my secret identity, or Lois Lane (Rachel McAdams) who did not.

I guess where I'm going with this is... Matthew Bomer as Superman and Rachel McAdams as Lois Lane? :)

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think Bomer could work as Superman.