If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by trek_futurist, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

But wasn't the original posit here that "Normal people don't continue walking after they've been impaled by random spikes." You've cited people being impaled, but I don't see they were walking right afterwards. :)

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

We're gonna argue actual steps? Shinzon took all of, what...one and a half steps before dying? Whereas all but one of these example dudes lived.

Doesn't matter anyway, I was just pointing out that people survive much worse and often. I have no stake in the matter, so I'll leave it up to someone else to argue semantics from this point on. :)

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While Shinzon did come across as whiney, his sanity was definitely impared, too. He was raised in a mine, and abused by Romulans since he was a child. How would that NOT fuck someone up severely, even Picard?

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yes, we're gonna argue actual steps. I know people survive crazy shit all the time. Shinzon got impaled, and then not only walked, but grabbed the random spike and pulled himself forward. Why? What was the point of that? To prove that he's batshit crazy?

5. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

It is clear that Shinzon and Nero resemble each other in many way. They are very bad Khan copies, an example for how you cannot pick some random elements out of a character of a good movie and expect them to work in your movie if you totally ignore everything else from the good movie that inspired you.
    Call it heresy but at least on a script level that ignores Montalban's fine acting TWOK is not a good movie because of but in spite of Khan.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I think Wrath of Khan is extremely overrated. It's enjoyable, sure. But truly great? I don't think so. Khan's as hammy a villain as it gets.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Hammy equals fun. :techman:

8. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really liked "Nemesis" (watched it again last weekend after a few years; it really does NOT deserve all the hatred it gets), but I'm not convinced it's better than Trek '09.

9. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

It is not my favourite movie either but it is entertaining and thematically rich. Best of both worlds, what else does ones want from a Trek flick.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm not disagreeing with you, as pulling yourself along the thing that's impaled you isn't exactly "walking" is it? I just thought it was funny how the answers were spiraling away from original question.

11. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

While the latest movie is not without its flaws ultimately it is head and shoulders above that other movie which has been mentioned.

There is no pointless rape scene, and there is no pointless death of a major character, and while the red matter is a definite maguffin, the "transwarp" beaming is while a bit loosey goosey, nowhere near as completely implausible as the micro-transporter.

Finally for those who think that Prime Kirk would have gone to all kinds of ridiculous lengths to not kill Nero I just have this to say...

"I! Have had! Enough! Of you!" (and extra Trek geek points to the first person who can tell me what I'm talking about. ;-)

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I certainly hope nobody here has to struggle too hard to get that reference.

13. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't be too certain. We are not Star Trek fans after all!

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Ooh ooh, it's trek_futurist yelling at his tv while Star Trek 09 plays.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Go away.

16. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Clearly, the quote above is from STIII when Kirk fights Klingon Commander Kruge to the death on the Genesis Planet while everything lights up in flames around them. Kirk says it in the final stage of the fight before sending Kruge into the abyss.

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure he already has.;)

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Good, good.

19. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeh, you scared him away for sure.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I got the feeling he expected more people...or at least one person, to agree with his reasoning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.