Your Top 10 Movies Of 2009

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by KirkSpockTOSFan, Jan 5, 2010.

1. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

Of all the great movies that came out last year, what movie did you think was the best and your most favorite? I had lots of favorites that I liked but of all them, I loved Star Trek the best. Anyways heres my list of my top 10 favorite movies I seen in 09' here we go.

1. Star Trek:adore:
    3.Princess and the Frog
    4.Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosours
    5.Alvin and The Chipmucks The Squeakuel
    6.Night at the Museunm Battle of the Smithsion
    7.Transformers Revenge of the Fallen
    8.G.I. Joe The Rise Of The Cobera
    9.Fast and Furious
    10.Christmas Carol

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

My list is incomplete and always changing (at least until I've seen the remaining 2009 movies I want to see...) but in the interim:

1. Moon
    2. Star Trek
    3. Where The Wild Things Are
    4. District 9
    5. (500) Days of Summer
    6. Up in the Air
    7. Avatar
    8. The Hurt Locker
    9. The Soloist
    10. Fantastic Mr. Fox

Honorable mentions: State of Play, Spread, Brothers, Two Lovers, and Cherie.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  3. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a hard time thinking of a single movie this year that I really liked so I checked out Box Office Mojo's 2009 Yearly Box Office Results which has the "top 150" grossing films on it.

Coraline was great, The Informant was hilarious and Public Enemies, District 9, Taken and State of Play all had their merits. Avatar may well ultimately be regarded as groundbreaking in spite of the lackluster story.

Overall, however, I think 2009 was a terrible year for domestic cinema. The Top 25 list is littered with utter garbage including the Transformers sequel, 2012, GI Joe, Wolverine, Mall Cop, Terminator Salvation and Fast and Furious. I walked out of the theater laughing following the Informant and a a bit awed by Avatar but in every other case, I left disappointed.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Star Trek
    2. Avatar
    3. Inglourious Basterds
    4. The Time Traveler's Wife
    5. (500) Days of Summer
    6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    7. The Cove
    8. Up in the Air
    9. Sunshine Cleaning
    10. Paranormal Activity

My top 15 kind of fluctuates... so, I'm also going to include

The Last House on the Left
    Moon
    The Blind Side
    The Hurt Locker
    The Hangover
    Precious

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Turns out I didn't get in to see Sherlock Holmes before the end of the year, so my Top Ten films seen in theaters are, in order of release -

Watchmen*
    Monsters vs Aliens*
    Star Trek (2009)*
    Moon
    (500) Days of Summer
    District 9*
    Taking Woodstock*
    The Horse Boy
    Pirate Radio

*means I saw it at a free advanced screenin'

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Ugh. See the British original (with Bill Nighy!). It's one of the finest works of television ever produced, and far superior to the American version.

In alphabetical order:

Adventureland
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Inglourious Basterds
    Moon
    Star Trek
    The Hurt Locker
    The Informant!
    Up in the Air

I could only come up with eight. There are plenty of films from this year that I have yet to see, though, so I'm sure two more await me. I haven't seen any foreign releases from this year yet.

7. JacksonArcher

I thought the American version was quite good. It was a taut, cerebral suspense thriller. Hard to find those anymore. I'll have to check out the British miniseries one of these days.

Interesting to note that the original State of Play miniseries was directed by David Yates, who would go on to direct the last remaining Harry Potter films.

My list has been updated with the addition of Fantastic Mr. Fox which I caught today. Wes Anderson's best film to date and just incredibly witty and clever. I don't think I've chuckled that consistently in a movie all year.

8. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek
    Angels and Demons (though not as good as TDC)
    Push
    The Uninvited
    Jennifer's Body
    Drag me to Hell

Have to stop there. That's all I saw of 2009 movies! :D

9. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek
    Inglourious Basterds
    Zombieland
    Watchmen

They are the ones that stand out for me as films I really enjoyed. There were some "ok" films last year, such as the Wolverine and Terminator films. There was also 2012, which looked pretty, but didn't have much substance to it. None of them really belong in a "Best of..." list though.

10. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I actually thought A&D was better than TdC, but that may have just been me...

:angel:

11. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I can't believe anyone thinks either of those are good, but that's just me. ;)

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

I didn't say I thought either of 'em were GOOD! Just one was better than the other.

:p

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I thought it made for a marked improvement over the first installment. But I'd hardly rate it "great" or anything.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

As per usual, I've only seen a smattering of 2009 movies in the same year they were released...now, 2008 movies, I could give you a full list of those!

1. Star Trek
    2. Sin Nombre
    3. District 9
    4. I Love You Man
    5. Public Enemies
    6. Drag Me to Hell
    7. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (it was cute)

...wow, is that IT? :eek: I can't even dredge up ten to recommend.

Movies I do NOT recommend (frakkin Netflix needs to warn me off this crap better!)

Funny People
    Adventureland
    Notorious
    (500) Days of Summer
    Push
    (well that one was my own fault :p)

15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

ya didn't like (500) Days of Summer? really?

16. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Had to look up what movies came out this year...I really didn't see that many new movies this year. Half of the movies mentioned above I have either not seen or not even heard of.

Here are the ten movies I enjoyed the most of last year in no particular order.
    - District 9
    - GI Joe
    - The Hangover
    - Knowing
    - Transformers 2
    - The Invention of Lying
    - Sherlock Holmes
    - The Taking of Pelham 123
    - I Love You, Man

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm as shocked as you are.

Of course, I've seen worse lists in the past couple of days. :D

18. JacksonArcher

My elitist film snob friend hated (500) Days of Summer (and this is by no means an implication, Temis). He said that the film was cliche, hallow, and dealt only in templates, with characters who were vapid and had no substance to speak of. In fact, I'm going to quote a paragraph of his recent dissertation of the film.

He wrote a lot more. I heartily disagree with him but he made some interesting and well-thought out points, if anything.

19. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favourites this year (kind of sort of in order no not really):

Moon
    Inglourious Basterds
    A Serious Man
    The White Ribbon
    Star Trek
    Coraline

Some other movies that were good:
    Thirst
    District 9
    Hurt Locker
    Ponyo

I saw them in theatres in late 2009/10 and yet they counted as '08 films like go figure man:
    Me and Orson Welles
    Seraphine

A more minor nod in the general direction also of The Hangover, which was basically a Preston Sturges film plus a potty mouth and sex, and was fairly funny fare. Up in the Air premieres later this month, I need to see that also.

I don't watch contemporary films often enough to get a decent top ten or even a half-workable top five, but there are some movies that are probably worth considering watching and so on.

Isn't that a positive thing? Now, liking Public Enemies on the other hand - sheesh, what a dull, insipid dud that was. The only really ungood film I saw in theatres, but maybe I'm just way too easy to please.

Anyway, for a moment I thought she was un-recommending Hitchcock's Notorious, which would be like a cardinal sin (I actually saw a mediocre remake of the film in 2009, actually, the Star Wars Clone Wars episode titled "Senate Spy", which riffed on film's iconic ending visually while using a plot that was utter nonsense).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  20. JacksonArcher

Great, great movie. Marks my top list of this year. Sad it'll likely not get a Best Picture nom.

I couldn't connect with this film. It even failed what it was suppose to be in my opinion -- a film about killing Nazi's, which amazingly enough for a film with that plot had surprisingly little Nazi killing -- and even taking that into consideration, the clear lack of any ethical consequences was disturbing to say the least, given the subject matter. It made the Basterds no better than the Nazi's they were trying to exterminate.

I really want to see this, despite not being a Coen Brothers fan.

Haven't seen it. Been hearing good things, though.

Marks #2 on my Top Ten list.

Good film. I enjoyed Fantastic Mr. Fox much more.

More vampires! Yay! Seriously though, I heard this received a lot of kudos and acclaim.

Very entertaining, if flawed film. Makes my Top Ten regardless.

Makes my Top Five. Excellent, original, fresh. Loved it.

Will probably make my Top Ten. A very taut, well-made suspense thriller.

Haven't seen it.

I really enjoyed The Hangover. I certainly wouldn't put it on my Top Ten or even Fifteen list but it was very enjoyable, a la other films this year that I've seen like Sherlock Holmes.

Up in the Air is a downright terrific film. A really heartfelt human "dramedy" that has excellent performances, a well-written script and superb direction. Jason Reitman's best film by far. Makes my Top Ten for sure.

He's way too elitist for his own good. He bashes films like Avatar and Star Trek just because they placate to "Hollywood fanboys", who whilst watching (Trek) get "hard-ons while imagining themselves flying their own spaceship". His words verbatim.

He has some very good points on a vast array of different film topics but to bash something like that without any other consideration seems pompous and childish to me. He has every right to criticize Avatar and Star Trek but ridiculing the people who enjoy them is not the way to go, in my humble opinion.