The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw on their facebook page Hot Toys "Avengers" Hulk toy...oh man...they keep topping themselves if that's even possible!

EDIT: Also Amazon has the Hot Wheels the latest line. They have 20 left of the USS Vengeance. I just ordered the USS Kelvin. So I'd hurry if anyone is interested :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Thanks for that heads-up, man!

3. cooleddie74

Here's a newly compiled list from Jedi Temple Archives containing what we as collectors are somewhat likely to see in the brand new 3.75" Black Series line between the launch later this summer and the end of 2013.

A lot of the items beyond Wave 1 have not been officially, 100% confirmed by Hasbro at this point, but San Diego Comic-Con is approaching and we'll very likely get more confirmations of future Black Series product during the course of the event.

Brand new: a packaged photo of the 6" Sandtrooper.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm sure i'll end up getting several of the 6 inch figures. doubt i'll pick up anything of the smaller line.

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm really looking forward to those 6" Star Wars figures. My excitement is probably only equaled by the 60s Batman figures from Mattel.

I found two out of three of the second wave of the 6" Iron Man 3 action figures today:
    [​IMG]
    Ultron is an odd choice for a figure in this line, since he's not in the movie and isn't even traditionally an Iron Man villain. This figure is on a reused body from the Iron Man Classics Titanium Man figure that came out a few years ago. It's still a better Ultron than the horrible abortion we got in Marvel Legends series 11, even if it's still not the classic look we all want.

[​IMG]

Thankfully, Mark XLII makes up for Ultron by being completely new from head to toe. He's a very nice looking figure, though there is a problem with paint slop in places. This armor look really grew on me in the movie.

Now I just need to find the movie Iron Patriot and I'll have them all. In the mean time, the Iron Monger BAF sits missing an arm.

6. cooleddie74

Those look amazing. Really, there aren't that many Iron Man figures in a larger scale that don't look good.

7. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tasha and Clint helped me pick veggies from my sister's garden today.

[​IMG]

Then they found some refreshments...

[​IMG]

8. cooleddie74

Just Breaking: the very first packaged image of the upcoming Kmart-exclusive Ewok Assault Catapult figure and accessory set in the Vintage Collection line.

There is also an Imperial Scanning Crew set that's supposed to be released alongside this one, but thus far no photos of that one either loose or packaged have surfaced.

[​IMG]

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh heh, which Ewoks are they?

Apparently the Camie / Fixer comic pack is showing up in a discount shop over but I haven't been able to find one yet : (

10. cooleddie74

Not sure of the names of these two particular furballs. I know somebody on one of the collecting sites is calling the one with the white splotch on the right side of his face "Spot."

11. Admiral_Young

You can order the Star Trek Hot Wheels in a set of four on Entertainment Earth for $59.99 I believe. I'm not sure about individuality...I think you're best bet for that is still Amazon.

12. cooleddie74

13. cooleddie74

The 3.75" Black Series figures have just hit.

At least at this particular store, which appears to be somewhere outside of the U.S. The collecting site is British and caters to European collectors so this might be a European retail store.

[​IMG]

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Lots of new TF goodies announced at Botcon 13.

1) Updated versions of Rhinox and Waspinator from Beast Wars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2) Classics Skids (which makes him the last of the original 84/85 to get a new updated toy), Swerve, a new and larger legends Cosmos and Doubledealer (a repainted Blitzwing).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3) Tailgate and a Voyager sized Whirl.

4) TFCC also announced a new Chromedome repainted from Prime Wheeljack, a Beast Wars Transmutate from Prime Arcee and Rampage from Prime Megatron.

15. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

those TFs look pretty good. especially Rhinox and Waspy.

16. cooleddie74

I was just telling some fellow collectors that the new Black Series packaging is considerably smaller and more narrow than the cardbacks used for the most recent lines of figures. The blister bubbles are bigger and take up a larger proportion of space on the package, but the cards themselves have really shrunk. They're a smidge taller than the Vintage Collection cards, but much more narrow.

These new Black Series and Saga Legends cardbacks might be the smallest ones of the entire modern era of SW figures, and that dates back to 1995. Can't be too much of a cost-saving measure, really, because they added as much plastic as they removed card stock.

Speaking of packaging, this just surfaced over on eBay. An unreleased prototype Episode I Tusken Raider figure from the year 2000. This was when they had changed the design of the electronic CommTech voice chips and had planned figures beyond what turned out to be the final wave in the Episode I figure line (the Sio Bibble assortment).

The Tusken and others that had been planned for Episode I packaging were released on the green Power of the Jedi cardbacks that unified both Phantom Menace and Original Trilogy characters under one line and logo starting in the fall of 2000. There aren't too many of these unreleased packages floating around.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Man, Commtech chips. Those had to be the stupidest gimmick they have ever used in the line. You had to buy a separate reader to use them, and it was a piece of crap that didn't work half the time. Not to mention the fact that the chips didn't even have real movie sound clips. I will never forget the Darth Maul with a much higher pitched voice and a thick British accent.

18. cooleddie74

Yeah, that always bugged me too. I can't be sure but it would appear that they didn't have the rights to recordings of the actual movie dialogue so they had voice actors replicate the lines from the film, and quite often they didn't even sound similar.

I think the Battle Droid chips might have been the only ones that sounded just like the dialogue from the film, and even they weren't a perfect match. I suppose for 1999 it was a nice enough gimmick, but the technology was clunky and having to buy the separate reader device to even listen to the chips was weak. Today they'd just incorporate a battery-powered base or something with a small button that would speak the lines right there inside the package, as they've actually done with some figures in recent years.

I will say that the redesigned chip looked a lot better than the one that was actually sold in stores, but aside from that it probably wouldn't have been any more impressive in performance.

19. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  20. cooleddie74