THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Count me as another who was impressed by Hiddleston. He was perfect as Loki.

2. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't agree with you about the frost giants, which I thought looked good. But, to me, the beginning of the film felt simultaneously rushed, because lots of exposition was being squeezed in, and tedious, because none of it was handled with any subtlety.

Once Thor decides to thrown down with the frost giants, the film really gets going, though, and I enjoyed it immensely from that point forward.

3. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't even planning on seeing Green Lantern, because the first trailer was so terrible.

They showed a new trailer before Thor, however, and it was a marked improvement over the first. That pushed me back from "no way in Hell am I wasting money on this" to "well, let's wait and see its tomatometer rating."

4. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really enjoyed it. Probably as much fun as Spidey-1 but not as fun as Iron Man. Give it a solid A.

Really liked Loki. I think he did a marvelous job. I am not sure by the end of it, whether his claim to have done it all for Odin's approval was the truth or yet another lie. Could be wheels within wheels.

I thought they should have made "more" use of him being a Master of Magic as one of the Warriors Three says. More than creating illusions which he can control.

I was a little surprised that he was so vehement in telling Thor to not break the rainbow bridge - "you will never see her again". Why is it important for Loki that Thor see her again? I know that Loki being selfish himself was trying to persuade Thor to not break the bridge and assumes that Thor being selfish will refuse it too. But at other times during the movie, he takes advantage of Thor's "noble" nature (when he dupes him on earth). I guess in the heat of battle he forgets to "think" like Thor would.

Odin was good. The Destroyer seems to be the most true to comics character. Loved Sif (tho' she seemed just a tad lightweight to me - would have preferred the actress to look a couple of years older. She seems too young for Thor).

Loved Loki's helmet.

Liked the 3-D too. Surprisingly I didn't feel the need to take off my glasses like I felt like doing in a couple of occasions during Avatar.

Saw 3-D previews for Pirates and Cap America. Very good! Can't wait.

I think I need to see a good movie of Natalie Portman. Cute looking but she just doesn't cut it.

I saw it late sunday but it wasn't very full - probably about 30-40% full.

5. Goliath

Black Swan is quite good.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

One can only imagine the poor dear and Hopkins having a smoke backstage on this one and commiserating about their awards and nominations.

The things make good doorstops, but you gotta eat.

(Well, okay, they were probably never on set the same day) :lol:

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Remember, the Thor Loki was used to was a "Selfish, petty, cruel boy" and during the fight he was surprised at Thor's change in attitude. He didn't think that Thor would now be more willing to sacrifice something dear to him and figured he could exploit his vain nature.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

What Loki always does is take advantage of what he sees to be Thor's weaknesses. He's not appealing to Thor's "nobility" in encouraging him to visit the frost giants, but his egotism and vanity. In the case of Jane he's just trying to use Thor's attachment to her against him.

9. Goliath

Hehe.

Though, to be fair--everyone enjoys an easy day at work, now and then.

They might have spent more time discussing the stuff they were planning to buy when they cashed their paycheques.

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering both Loki and The Enchantress were the first villians the Avergers fought as a team (back when the Avergers comics started way back in the 1960ies); I'm kind of hoping they manage to work her into 'The Avengers' film, working with Loki to get the Cube.;)

And as someone who read Thor from the 'Tales of Mystery' days up through the 1980ies; I have to say they did a good job with the film (and I too liked what they did with Hiemdall the Gaurdian too; he just stood on the Rainbow Bridge in the comic lamenting he could aid Thor without leaving his post; but I really liked that partiicular character in teh film.

Volstagg was a bit thin; but hey, you ocouldn't do a live action version faithful to the comic without making him a CGI character, so what they did definitely worked.

I too liked the 'Warriors 3' + Sif walking down the street with the Shield Agent comments of:

"Hey, is there a Renaisance Festival in town?"
    and
    "We've got Xena, Jackie Chan, and Robin Hood..."

I also liked when the Agents first saw the Destroyer armor:

"Hey, is that one of Starks?"
    response
    "These days, I have no idea."

Overall an A from me.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Working in the desert is probably easier than being on point day after day. OTOH, is clanking around in plastic armor and a glued-on eye patch easier than wearing a leather mask and straitjacket? Mebbe, mebbe not. :lol:

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I was thinking the same thing but maybe they reworked his age a bit for the movie and this is before he's married with all those kids.

I seem to recall a short Volstagg story in Marvel Fanfare or some similar title years ago that was a flashback and he pretty much looked like the movie version.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed Flemm, the Frost Giants looked anything but cheap. How Dennis can say it with a straight face while he's heaped praise on Green Lantern comes off a bit hollow. Not only did they and their world look good Colm Feore as Laufy(sp) made for a truly good character given his screen time.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah, because neither have them have ever had to stoop so low as to take a role in a scifi/fantasy genre movie or summer blockbuster.

:rolleyes:

16. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Sort of... I think "near" Galisteo would be a more apt description...

There was a lot of sound-stagery and, I would assume, CGI work done.. Galisteo is a sleepy rural hamlet with LOT of trees and pueblo/territorial style homes... If you google map it, you will see it looks nothing like the grid-pattern street set up shown in the movie.

Ah.. And this confirms it.. Not a real town... Set photos from constructed town

17. Admiral Buzzkill

If that's true, my hat's off to the art director and crew. I believed Galisteo; I didn't buy Asgard.

I particularly liked the building that housed Foster's research office.

Well of course Portman just did a rom-com, which is almost as sad...and she does have those prequel crapfests in her closet, but she was very young and she probably didn't inhale. :lol:

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Hopkins doesn't even mind this sort of stuff. Didn't he say he never cared about being in Shakespearean works and just wanted to be rich and famous?

Portman, well she did "Friends with benefits" with Ashton Kutcher and "Your Highness" so she can't get all high and mighty.

19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

That's not precisely what I was asking. I just wondered if everybody caught that it was Hawkeye out of the purple jammies. I really didn't care who the actor was...but I guess the fact everybody else knew means I'm late to the party again. Oh, well...

20. Admiral Buzzkill

I can't imagine that Hopkins takes any of it as seriously as fans do.

He had a good story on one of the late nights the other evening about how freaked out hotel people, etc still occasionally get when "Hannibal Lector" shows up at their establishments. :lol: