Orci/Bennett

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

just realised the Orci leaving Trek3 thing (not that we know much about it at the moment) seems to mirror what happened with Bennett and Trek VI. Bennett wanted to do his thing (SFA) and direct (first time director) for the anniversary movie, but it was all dropped in favour of something else. and it sounds like the same possibly happened with Orci.

Hopefully we'll get the details of what Orci was wanting to do but it'll probably be after the release of the film (maybe his story will get adapted into Ongoing, like the way Bennetts SFA idea was sort of adapted into a DC annual around the time of Trek VIs release)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I remain mildly intrigued by the fact that Orci had that strange "didn't forget. Bigger chairs to consider" (or what-have-you) reply to the poster on TrekMovie who said something about him abandoning the proverbial captain's chair, back when news first broke that he'd no longer be director.

While it's certainly doubtful, it leaves me with an inkling of curiosity, a smidge of suspicion that maybe, just maybe, there really is a show en route, and he's been tapped to helm it.

If that happens, the similarities will clearly fade. If it doesn't -- which it probably won't -- yeah, odd.

3. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I truly hope that his script sucked and they didn't reject it because it was too deep and they wanted fast&furious in space.

4. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they do want Fast & Furious in space (it would, after all, be a tonal fit with the prior two movies). But I somehow doubt that the problem was Orci's script being too deep and brilliant.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, I was under the impression Paramount wanted a second rate version of Guardians of the Galaxy while Orci wanted to do a "proper" Trek movie.

Mind you, Orci's idea of proper Trek probably did suck. Dude is a terrible writer.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

:lol::lol:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the problem.

7. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

Well I suppose that may be true. Just look at orci track records when jj abrams is not involved. transformers, amazing Spiderman 2, cowboys and aliens etc.

there are nothing to right home about but orci wanted to prove a point will trek 3 especially with some of the backlash that he took from into darkness. he wanted to prove he can make a great trek but you maybe right. paramount never gave him chance and as you say they want Guardians of the Galaxy kind of film and to me there is nothing to right home about for me. I found the film to be bad.:confused:

8. The Wormhole

Guardians of the Galaxy isn't bad, in fact it probably is one of the better MCU movies, not that there's any sort of competition or anything. But Guardians is overrated. Everyone, and I mean everyone seems to love it. Even a guy I know who is usually overly critical of movies. Everyone thinks it's some sort of masterpiece though it came off to me as a Star Wars derivative.

9. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Makes sense, given that GUARDIANS is heavily influenced by the space opera genre, just like STAR WARS. I think what makes GUARDIANS such an exception for many is that it's the first time there's ever been a successful space opera flick that didn't have the branding of STAR WARS or STAR TREK. Many other films that aimed for that genre like THE LAST STARFIGHTER and SERENITY were never successful.

10. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

Well I must be living in my own alternate reality. the film was awful to me. it had some of the silliest one liners and bad fight scenes, I have ever scene even for MCU standards. I also did not follow the story at all because the story felt so disjointed and was not making sense. the fight scenes were just too much, it became like a CGI Feast. For me it was the worst comic film of 2014.

This is why I am worried about Paramount wanting trek to be like the film

11. The Wormhole

Well, it was one of the top grossing movies of 2014, so Paramount understandably wants to copy that success.

12. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

But what about making a quality film? what about making a film that is not generic? what about making a film that it is not just about the explosions. there is no difference between guardians of the galaxy and transformers. I will hate for star trek to be lumped in the same category.

13. The Wormhole

In the end a studio is more interested in the Almighty Dollar. A sad truth, but a truth all the same. Everyone says the Transformers movies are crap, but they still manage to pull in billions, and since Paramount owns Transformers they know you don't need quality to own the box office. Besides, Paramount's probably still pissed over losing the MCU to Disney, so again, one can understand why they want to replicate one of its movies.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Gotta disagree. Guardians of the Galaxy was my favorite movie this year. It was fun and colorful, gorgeous to look at, and full of vivid and engaging characters, all done with a great deal of style and panache.

Did it resemble STAR TREK? Of course not, but I don't think they were going for that. We're talking old-fashioned comic-book space opera here, like Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers or Adam Strange or whatever. (I also got kinda a Farscape vibe, which makes sense since FS was basically a irreverent, modern-day spin on Buck Rogers.)

To each their own . . ..

15. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

but star trek is not a space opera like star wars and gotg, trek is science fiction, which means more about the sciences possibilities than the action and explosions. only thing is with star wars at least I followed the story, I could not even follow the story of GOTG. I will hate to see the day when I wont be able to follow the story of a trek film because paramount wants to make it extremely actioned packed likr GOTG.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You couldn't follow the story of Guardians of the Galaxy? I thought it was pretty straight-forward. :shrug:

17. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as Trek being made into pulp space opera, the ship sailed on that two movies ago. I wouldn't expect the third outing to be somehow "worse" in that regard whether it imitates GOTG or not.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:lol:

That ship sailed a long, long time ago.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

What about the story of GOTG was hard to follow? If anything it seemed a little too easy to follow.

20. The Wormhole

Star Trek is space opera, as 90% of it is action and adventure and very rarely hard science. The only Trek which comes close to being hard science was TMP, and that was more than enough for me. And indeed more than enough for Paramount who denied Roddenberry any more input on the movies and made sure the next one, TWOK was an exciting action movie. And to this day it's still regarded as the best Trek movie, with the TNG movies trying to imitate it and the Abrams movies blatantly ripping it off.

TOS was certainly an action series more than it was about "science possibilities." TNG was more into social commentaries. DS9 was an action show with character drama mixed in. Voyager was mainly an action show. And who knows what was going on with Enterprise.

With the movies, like I said above, TWOK was the most well-liked with TVH, a contemporary comedy being the highest grossing pre-Abrams Trek film, and TUC another action packed movie is also held in high regard. First Contact, an action movie is usually considered the best of the TNG movies.

Star Trek has always been more associated with action than it has science. "Fun and exciting" does not mean the same thing as "anti Trek."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015